Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Wolfmarsh
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Layout (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20201006_131857 (resized).jpg
    520-6935-10 (resized).jpg
    There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The node boards are repairable.
    The long term solution is people just have to learn to work with surface mount and more complex electronics.

Without schematics made public?

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The long term solution is people just have to learn to work with surface mount and more complex electronics.

The drive transistors on the node boards are not surface mount and can easily be replaced. Some of the earlier boards had design/manufacturing problems on the surface mount equipment which made them fail way too frequently. The idea is that the operators and home users will still be able to replace the common components that fail in the field because of shorting or whatever. The only difference is the board is smaller and mounted under the playfield instead of the backbox to save miles of wiring. Go back and look at SAM. Plenty of surface mount there too, but I changed my share of failed transistors with no problems on SAM games.

#54 3 years ago

Problem can easily be solved by Stern just lowering the price as they must have a huge mark up. But that's there decision i guess. They are the only ones who manufacture those boards so technically can charge what ever they want (and they do lol) I guess only downside to this for them is ppl may avoid buying there machines.

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

I don't think it should be at there cost?? If my tv breaks I don't send in the pcb for a new one for free? They expect me to buy a new one. But stern prices could be far cheaper the quantity they manufacture those boards in they must have a huge mark up on them. Sending in for repair is a good idea but it shouldn't be a free service but cheaper then buying a new board.

Sorry, to clarify I meant at Stern's actual cost to provision the boards, not that they would be completely free. Just no markup / not a profit center for them.

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I don't think it's practical to expect many people to become knowledgeable with debugging and repairing these surface mount boards. I'm not saying it can't be done but it introduces a lot of new barriers vs the traditional through-hole technology. Better if the boards can inexpensively be swapped out and then sent to Stern or another 3rd party for repair, with the refurbished boards re-entering the market as possible future replacements.

#57 3 years ago

Research and Development is not cheap and is factored into the prices. You can’t just sell the boards for the amount it costs to fabricate. There’s a lot more to the equation.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

Research and Development is not cheap and is factored into the prices. You can’t just sell the boards for the amount it costs to fabricate. There’s a lot more to the equation.

Completely agree but the prices these things go for they are way marked up.

#59 3 years ago

Stern probably does not want people to buy their boards and build their own machines from them...so if you make the sum of the whole system prohibitively expensive, you will exclude people from doing that.

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Stern probably does not want people to buy their boards and build their own machines from them...so if you make the sum of the whole system prohibitively expensive, you will exclude people from doing that.

I seriously doubt that plays into it. There's like one or two crazy people that are capable of doing this sort of thing, and it's for the challenge...not the cost savings.

Hell, I would argue Stern should sell Spike stuff to homebrew hobbyist like Multimorphic and Fast boards. Not make it a core part of the business or anything, but send an email to sales and talk to a human to buy some stuff to play with. Seems like a way to start cultivating more design talent to replace the designers aging out of the industry.

I think their boards are simply expensive because of low volume and R&D. Who knows how much money they spent to develop the Spike and Spike 2 hardware, associated software, and developer tools.

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Lol. This would never happen. It’s almost impossible to get any game specific parts for Stern games.

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

Completely agree but the prices these things go for they are way marked up.

So? they are a business.

The griping about prices never ends yet somehow games keep selling out.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Lol. This would never happen. It’s almost impossible to get any game specific parts for Stern games.

I was thinking a homebrewer that goes into selling actual production games, like Spooky.

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I was thinking a homebrewer that goes into selling actual production games, like Spooky.

Why would Stern be against that? I'm sure they'd license Spike for the right price. Then they get a taste on all the games being sold that they don't make.

Multimorphic powers Spooky and American Pinball afterall. (Of course if I was one of them, I probably wouldn't want to become overly reliant on Stern)

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

So? they are a business.
    The griping about prices never ends yet somehow games keep selling out.

Oh yes this is why they don’t care and keep prices high as people just keep coming back and asking for more why we have 1k toppers

#66 3 years ago

Has anyone looked into replacing the dual core processor on the carrier board with a quad core like George mentioned Stern would be doing soon? I’d like to use a quad core on my Aerosmith for smoother playback of live videos I used to replaced the animated backgrounds with.

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Has anyone looked into replacing the dual core processor on the carrier board with a quad core like George mentioned Stern would be doing soon? I’d like to use a quad core on my Aerosmith for smoother playback of live videos I used to replaced the animated backgrounds with.

I imagine it wouldn't help if the game code isn't programmed to take advantage of the extra horsepower. A computer doesn't automatically know how to split the work load from a dual to a quad core. (Assuming the CPU is the bottleneck)

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I imagine it wouldn't help if the game code isn't programmed to take advantage of the extra horsepower. A computer doesn't automatically know how to split the work load from a dual to a quad core. (Assuming the CPU is the bottleneck)

Good point. Those CPUs are cheap enough where I’d give it a try if it was socketed though.

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Those boards likely have an integrated GPU with hardware for decoding the videos. CPU shouldn't play into it too much - it would take away precious cycles the machine needs in order to react quickly

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from pintuck:

In future I hope they can port earlier Spike 1 DMD games like Kiss, Ghost Busters, Game of Thrones etc to the Spike 2 platform to maintain serviceability.
    I have already experienced a blown 5V supply circuit on a Kiss Pro Spike 1 board, and on that occasion was lucky to have the board completely replaced, with full marks to our local Stern distributor with the game out of warranty, but this won't last forever, with earlier Spike 1's becoming unobtainium unless Stern can port these earlier DMD games up to a Spike 2 to maintain serviceability, Spike 1 games are only like 4-7 years old. Could be in for trouble if the older Spike 1 boards become impossible to source.
    Would be good for Stern to offer a Spike 2 alternative just for these games specifically to keep them around longer.
    Be good for George to discuss this a little.

maybe they do now a lot of the service menus and errors are in the old dmd format Now spike 2+ may not have an dmd out.
    Now will spike 2.5? or 3 with quad core run older spike 2 games?

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

the linux kernel should split the cores on it's own.

I think that pinball 2K has better video with more ram / pinbox system with more cpu power.

#72 3 years ago

Speaking with George Gomez about the upcoming series.
    I wanted to put out a "how to build a pinball machine" video, but how much better would it be to have GEORGE tell you what's up?!
    Exactly.
    Stay tuned, we got a lot of rad stuff to come!

Layout (resized).jpgLayout (resized).jpg
    #73 3 years ago

It'd be great if George Gomez would let you film the full process over the span of a year. It'd be a fun documentary to drop as part of the new game reveal.

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from DeadFlip:

Speaking with George Gomez about the upcoming series.
    I wanted to put out a "how to build a pinball machine" video, but how much better would it be to have GEORGE tell you what's up?!
    Exactly.
    Stay tuned, we got a lot of rad stuff to come!
    [quoted image]

I'm definitely curious how he decides on the direction a layout will go once he has his lower area set up, etc... Does he start with a large feature, or start with things like shots and then figure out which becomes a major feature, etc..??

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/george-gomez-is-a-class-act-new-youtube-series-/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.