New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 78401)

FS/FT: SOLD VirtuaPin Virtual Pinball Machine $3750

By FoghornLeghorn

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by navajas
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMAG1039.jpg
    IMG_4863.JPG
    IMG_4862.JPG
    IMG_4860.JPG
    IMG_4859.JPG
    IMG_4858.JPG
    IMG_4849.JPG
    IMG_4857.JPG
    IMG_4848.JPG
    IMG_4845.JPG
    IMG_4844.JPG
    IMG_4843.JPG

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Didn't think I'd part with this, but I've gotten the itch for an AC/DC, and this is the only way I can fund it. I am the second owner of this one-year-old 37" Standard Size VirtuaPin. The fellow that owned it before me bought it new from VirtuaPin and he was a computer guy, so he loaded everything properly on it so that it now has more than 230 working pinball tables. All the older EM and modern solid state classics! Including such tables as Medieval Madness, Twilight Zone, Big Bang Bar, Monster Bash, Eight Ball Deluxe, and the list goes on and on. You can play these hundreds of Visual Pinball tables with VirtuaPin's frontend installed over it, which allows you to just scroll through the different tables with the flipper buttons. You can also play the PinballFX2 tables through Steam and the Pinball Arcade tables through Steam as well. The fellow before me also upgraded it with a solid state boot and application drive so that it boots up quickly. I think the audio is also an upgrade to Pyle speakers and amp. This baby is mint and is a blast to play. And it has analog nudging, which means you can nudge it just like you would any pin and it will respond accordingly.

VirtuaPin is an American company making one of the highest quality virtual pinball machines in existence. You can go to VirtuaPin's website and look at the specs for the 37" standard cabinet. This also has the real DMD display, which is very cool. Everything (playfield, DMD, and backglass) exactly like it would when you're playing each table (animations, etc). There is about $5500 in this machine, so I'm selling it at $3750. If you were thinking about buying a VirtuaPin, this will save you a lot of money and dozens of hours loading these 200+ tables on it.

I'd prefer a cash deal or a trade for AC/DC, but I'm also willing to consider trades for TSPP and LOTR. I am willing to ship if you arrange it all. Also, I am willing to deliver within a day's drive of Nashville for just the price of my gas.

Here's a paragraph about it from VP.net's website: Our complete standard-body virtual pinball cabinet is a CNC-cut, American Maple cabinet replicating an authentic WMS pinball cabinet in every detail. Sporting a 37" commercial-grade playfield monitor, 28" 16:10 backglass monitor, perfect for displaying backglasses in the proper aspect, a 17" DMD monitor, and 100% genuine WMS cabinet parts, you'll feel like you're playing the real thing!

IMG_4843.JPGIMG_4844.JPGIMG_4845.JPGIMG_4848.JPGIMG_4849.JPGIMG_4857.JPGIMG_4858.JPGIMG_4859.JPGIMG_4860.JPGIMG_4862.JPGIMG_4863.JPG

#2 6 years ago

Nice price.

I can certainly vouch for the fact that VirtuaPin makes the absolute Cadillac of virtual machines. They are built like tanks and use authentic pinball hardware.

Unless you have the urge to tinker for months and months with a homebrew (and hope it all works), THIS is a fantastic way to get into virtual pinball!

#3 6 years ago

Thanks, lowepg.

#4 6 years ago

Looks great! Just curious, what's the specs on the PC being used ?

#5 6 years ago

What's the delay like on the retail VirtuaPins? I'm a guy who notices absolute minutia in this kind of thing and it really bugs me. Drives my wife crazy because, for instance, the dialog will be about 1/10th of a second off the lips of an Amazon stream and I just can't take it. Would seem even more important here.

Also, do they have any coils rigged up for feed back? Does nudging work well? Tilt? Is it an accelerometer or something or a plumb?

That Monsters of Rock looks fricking amazing.

#6 6 years ago

I'm not a computer guy, so you have to bear with me when it comes to questions on the technical side. That's the biggest reason I wanted to buy a VirtuaPin. They load these with hefty hardware so that it handles everything flawlessly. You can go to VirtuaPin's website and look at the specs for the Standard Size machine (I'd put a link here, but I'm not sure I'm allowed to do that). Here's an over view though: Core I5 2550 proc, 4 GB ram, Geforce GTX560 vid card, PinDMD, Solid State 128GB internal boot and application drive, backup 1TB internal hard drive, and comes with licensed Windows XP and Hyperpin.

There is absolutely zero flipper lag on this. Another reason I wanted to go with a professionally built machine. Flipper lag would have driven me crazy. No coils rigged up for feedback. The analog nudging is an accelerometer. Hope that helps.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

What's the delay like on the retail VirtuaPins?.

Not to stomp on the OP's spec reply above, but the other key item here is the display- not all are created equal!

The virtuapins benefit from high-end commercial displays with very fast response times.... this definitely contributes to the excellent flipper-response.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

What's the delay like on the retail VirtuaPins?

After about a year, you'll discover a flaw in VP that will make you realize why it's not more popular.

It has nothing to do with lag, or processing power, or anything like that.

But once you find it, you'll realize unless a complete rewrite of the physics system happens... VP is just not realistic enough to cut it...

#9 6 years ago

I find that some of the VP tables play more realistically physics-wise than others. Is it 100% exactly like the real pins? No, but it's pretty close, and it's a heck of a lot of fun to have hundreds of pins at your fingertips, many of which you'll never get to play in real life due to their cost (Big Bang Bar, MM, etc). And the physics for Pinball FX2 tables is outstanding, as well as the Pinball Arcade tables, both of which can be loaded on this.

#10 6 years ago

I should also add that I'm open to a trade for an AC/DC too. Really chomping at the bit to get one.

#11 6 years ago

Having said what I said... I played the hell out of my VP sstem for 3 hours a day for a couple of years, and had a complete blast. It can be very fun indeed!!!

Good luck with the sale, OP.. Paul makes a very good product.

#12 6 years ago

Can anyone compare the physics on these things to that of Pinball Arcade on the 360? That simulator is fun enough for a $5 game, but for me to think about $4k+ $freight, it'd have to be a damn site better.

#13 6 years ago

I've played Pinball Arcade on the new PS4. It's fun, but I find a tiny bit of flipper lag, and the fact that you're sitting on your couch, with a PS4 controller, playing on tv, it just never satisfies my itch for realistic pinball feel. The VirtuaPin just feels a lot more like I'm playing a real pinball machine. That's my take, at least.

#14 6 years ago

See, I know I'm eventually going to end up with one of these things, they're just way too dollar and space effective for my budgetary concerns of both, but I can't decide if I should wait out better physics / displays or not.

Harumph. I'm going to go mull. Good luck with sale in the mean time!

EDIT: Anyone have decent video of this exact product (or I guess the wide body would work too) in play? The stills look amazing (well on some tables, other's look like hell) but it's the ball that really matters. I looked on YouTube and there's shit.

#15 6 years ago

Here's my widebody - custom build, not VirtuaPin

For me, VP is awesome, I dont like FP.
    Markmon will chime in with his VP is bad, PinballFX is great opinion.
    You really gotta try it for yourself - YMMV

#16 6 years ago

Haha. I was just watching your vid on YouTube. It was the best I could find but was lamenting it wasn't the exact one on offer. I was also wondering, "How the hell would you do banzai Run?". Ha.

I'm a little shy on this one because of the standard body as Demolition Man and Indiana Jones are way up on my list.

You still liking yours? What is VP vs. FP?

#17 6 years ago

I'm still loving mine. I play mine about an hour every day, while my Tron (favorite real pin) gets abouts an hour play a week.

VP is Visual Pinball
    FP is Future Pinball

I dont like the physics of FP, similar to how some people, like Markmon, dont like VP.
    IMO, VP is awesome. I am very happy with the physics and most tables feel pretty spot-on to me. I've had a few pinhead buddies tell me that it's not feeling right for them, and alternatively, a few people have told me that they really enjoying playing mine, so YMMV.
    There has been tons of growth in the VP community.
    There's been several software add-ons, such as the B2S (mentioned in vid), more recent stuff like direct output framework.
    Also the hardware compatibilites are virtually endless. We can add real DMDs, knockers, shakers, leds, tilt sensors, etc.. There are even a few hardware developers / engineers that make affordable hardware for the VP people.
    IMO, you cant get nowhere near this kinda experience on PinballFX.

FWIW: I recently went to a tourney in San Francisco http://live.brackelope.com/t/vdbsn . Although I have never played a Laser Cue, Playboy, or Baywatch in real life, I was very familar with Laser Cue and Playboy - I could jump on them and have a really good idea of what to go for and whatnot. I have only played JP / MM / AFM about handful of times each in real life, but played it a ton in VP. I am defininately a "seasoned" competitor on all of those machines. Of course, pinball is pinball, and I had my share of luck too

#18 6 years ago

I'm sorry for density, but, what is PinballFX related to VP and FP? Further, these platforms are not software specific are they? On the same machine could you run them both and swap back and forth?

#19 6 years ago

Is the physics perfect? No.
    Are they improving? Yes.
    Are there new innovations coming that will run on this platform? Yes.
    Can you find another way (imperfect or not) to play BBB, CC, AFM, MM, MB, TZ, etc, etc for the price of one used pinball machine? No.

It's not meant to replace a real pinball machine... its a brand new cool toy that simulates pinball.

And to that purpose- its EPIC.

#20 6 years ago

You can run them all on same machine. Pinball FX2 is a ever-growing set of tables that are entirely their own creation. Very cool tables that have animation and such things that could never happen on a real machine. You can download them on your laptop or home computer right now to check them out. But you have to put the Steam game client onto your machine first (just google Steam). The tables have very deep rule sets. Cool Marvel Comics ones and so forth. One of them is free, but others you pay a small fee for (all Visual Pinball tables are free, by the way). Just gives you one more way to enjoy your virtual pinball machine. It's as easy as clicking an icon on my VirtuaPin to start up FX2 instead of the VP tables.

#21 6 years ago

PinballFX requires Steam (Software app) and can run on most PC OS's.
    PinballFX is pretty much all "original" tiltles, not real Williams, Stern, Bally pins
    I don't like PinballFX because every time I play it's a game that I gotta walk away from after 30 mins of being entertained (um, bored) and still on my 2nd ball. PinballFX has a weird kinda fullscreen mode that you would have to watch a vid of to get a feel for.

VP is mostly remakes of real tables, feels the most realistic, and utilized the most external toys. VP is mostly 2D rendered, with newer tables getting more 3D rendering on specific parts.

FP is more mix of originals and remakes. I believe that most of the tables are fully 3D rendered
    FP can utilize xbox360 eye cameras to make there tables into BAM (Better Arcade Mode).
    BAM is a kick-ass 3D-Mode, it tracks your head movement, and displays your table POV in relation to your position.

All of these can be run using a Windows PC and a Front-End, like Hyperpin or PinballX.
    They can all run together happily.

It seems that almost everyone falls on one of the three software BandWagons, and doesn't enjoy the others.
    I'm on the VP side

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Are they improving? Yes

I noticed that the newest VP 9.2 has a cool a$$ ball reflection option as well as several other minor upgrades.
    Each table now has independently set options for the ramp transparancy as well as ball reflections.
    You can now override your tables flipper settings with 4 person settings.
    There was also a global table physics setting - I love the fact that they are always improving, but it's a double-egged sword, You gotta keep upgrading the software

#23 6 years ago

I've seen 3D effects with the Wii thing before, but if a similar effect is possible with the Kinect camera (which is fucking useless otherwise) that would be pretty f'ing rad. That's right, I typed "rad". With how polar people seem to be on the software I was afraid it was somehow proprietary. If it's not, well, hell. That's pretty cool.

I was reading PinballFX out of context, and therefore missing it. I had those on the 360. I can see how they might be better with the better aspect, but I didn't like them a bit.

EDIT: FogHorn, what's a wide body look like if it's queued up on the standard size screen? Are there margins or something?

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

After about a year, you'll discover a flaw in VP that will make you realize why it's not more popular.
    It has nothing to do with lag, or processing power, or anything like that.
    But once you find it, you'll realize unless a complete rewrite of the physics system happens... VP is just not realistic enough to cut it...

Can you elaborate on this flaw you speak of?

#25 6 years ago

I had a great time with my virtual cab that I built before I "outgrew it" and sold it. I don't want to post the price or specs here, not really fair to try and compare, but I'll say this: I sold it to a friend for the cost of the parts, no labor or anything, so a pretty solid deal, and it was more than this for sale price.

If you can I'd really try and test one, or if you're close enough go check out this one, everyone feels differently about virtual pinball in my experience. Gotta try it yourself.

My take: Is it the same thing? No, it's not. But it's a really cool way to learn about and explore all sorts of different tables. Just think of it as a complement to a real machine, not a replacement.

#26 6 years ago

Here's some raw footage of all three VirtuaPin sizes in action ...

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Can you elaborate on this flaw you speak of?

I think the main issue VP suffers from is flipper shots. You cannot make every shot you normally can in a real pinball table. Until they get that addressed, VP is just a video game in a cool looking box. It's one of the main reasons I ended up selling my cab.

For me the build of the cabinet was a lot more fun than the game itself.

Oh, and if you do go the VP cabinet route, make sure it either has force feedback / leds or budget to get them put in. Makes a world of difference.

#28 6 years ago

Anyone know what is better a
    digital plunger or a just a launch button?
    some say the plunger has issues. or
    where can you purchase a good working
    plunger?? thanks for any help

#29 6 years ago

Digital plunger has it's issues, but it does give a sense of realism that a simple launch ball button doesn't. I really liked the Indy gun launcher that Aurich did with his cabinet, but that's a pretty expensive option.

There are alternatives in the works, but VirtuaPin has the only working solution for sale at the moment.

#30 6 years ago

Mine has both! For some tables, the launch button is used instead of the plunger.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

I really liked the Indy gun launcher that Aurich did with his cabinet, but that's a pretty expensive option.

Yeah, I forget what I paid for that, had to buy all NOS or repro parts from a couple vendors, plus I went the extra mile with the lit up laser-cut triggers. At least $120 for the parta alone I think. Totally worth it though!

#32 6 years ago

Bumpamatic...

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

I think the main issue VP suffers from is flipper shots. You cannot make every shot you normally can in a real pinball table.

Once you notice this, it can not be unnoticed.....

#34 6 years ago

I think that if you're a world-class player who has amazing ball handling skills (I got my first look at world-class players when I went to a tournament in TX a few months ago and watched a couple top players. They blew my mind. I wasn't even aware pinball could be played so artfully), then yes, you're not going to handle the ball the same way. For the other 99% of us pinball players, you can still shoot as accurately as you do on a real table. I find that my scores on the virtual tables are pretty similar to how I score on the real pin. For me, that's the real test.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from FoghornLeghorn:

I think that if you're a world-class player who has amazing ball handling skills (I got my first look at world-class players when I went to a tournament in TX a few months ago and watched a couple top players. They blew my mind. I wasn't even aware pinball could be played so artfully), then yes, you're not going to handle the ball the same way. For the other 99% of us pinball players, you can still shoot as accurately as you do on a real table. I find that my scores on the virtual tables are pretty similar to how I score on the real pin. For me, that's the real test.

I don't agree, but that's cool.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

Oh, and if you do go the VP cabinet route, make sure it either has force feedback / leds or budget to get them put in. Makes a world of difference.

I think this is totally a personal preference.

I've seen FAR more people with performance issues using a bunch of ledwiz driven solenoids, leds and other fake feedback simulators.... google "ledwiz stutter" if you're not convinced.

For me, nothing takes me "out of the experience" like flipper lag or stutter. So, lightening fast performance is worth more than a solenoid clicking under the table pretending to be a flipper coil .

Again, this is a personal preference. Mine is for optimal performance.... btw- you can always add it later if you feel the cabinet is lacking....

#37 6 years ago

I've never been able to use a flipper on a simulation like I can on a machine. Are these good enough yet that you can catch? Are the shots real? I mean, on the 360 it's obvious that there's logic going on, not just physics. If the ball makes it a certain distance up a ramp, regardless of the momentum, the game decides that's what you were shooting for and nudges it along to make it happen. When you know a table really well from machine play, these kind of simulation draw backs are very apparent.

Regardless, as Foghorn said, because of how much time I had on the simulation, I played Black Hole completely cold on location and did extremely well. A lot of that is just learning the rules I realize, but it knocked at least four or fives games worth of familiarization off my tab. That's about $2. Cold. Hard. Cash.

Still mulling. :-/

Foghorn, does this one have the second set of speakers for feedback on mechs, or does it just come through the system sound?

#38 6 years ago

Thanks all for your input. I would like
    to build a Guns N Roses themed VP. Anyone
    know if theres anyone selling the pistol or replica from
    the orgininal G N R pinball? or even the
    Rose shooter rod too?

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

I think this is totally a personal preference.
    I've seen FAR more people with performance issues using a bunch of ledwiz driven solenoids, leds and other fake feedback simulators.... google "ledwiz stutter" if you're not convinced.
    For me, nothing takes me "out of the experience" like flipper lag or stutter. So, lightening fast performance is worth more than a solenoid clicking under the table pretending to be a flipper coil .
    Again, this is a personal preference. Mine is for optimal performance.... btw- you can always add it later if you feel the cabinet is lacking....

That was true in the past, but a massive amount of progress has been made on this front. Check out the Direct Output Framework that was released by Swisslizard. The new framework eliminates latency introduced by the ledwiz by pulling all of the logic out of VP and running it in a separate thread.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

That was true in the past, but a massive amount of progress has been made on this front. Check out the Direct Output Framework that was released by Swisslizard. The new framework eliminates latency introduced by the ledwiz by pulling all of the logic out of VP and running it in a separate thread.

Ah, thanks for the recommendation.... I hadn't read much about this- Ill check it out.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

You can put all kinds of bells and whistles on your VP cab.. Flashers, shaker motors, gear motors, beacons, contactors, knockers....

But you still can't hit all the shots on a table from a cradled position.

People are working on VP, but it seems to me they're working on the wrong stuff.....

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

I really liked your build!

This is 100% true it really makes the experience. Yes it has to be setup right but when it is it makes the VP a totally different experience.

Not all tables are created equally but I only care about a few of them that play really well.

VirtuaPin has a nice product good luck with your sale!

#43 6 years ago

Okay, some folks were wanting to see some video of my VirtuaPin cabinet in action, so here's a little video I shot tonight. Hope this helps.

https://vimeo.com/85577593

#44 6 years ago

Looks awesome. Great for someone with a limited amount of space. GLWTS!

#45 6 years ago

VP scratches a different itch than the real thing. If you enjoy learning the rulesets and working to achieve different goals on a ton of tables, a simulator is great. If you are trying to hone the raw physical skills to play great on real machines.. not so much. But as many have said, understanding how to play is half the game while executing is the other half.

This is a great machine. Just budget about $300-400 to install all the force feedback goodies and you'll have a smoking vpin. I've built 4 and I'm just now installing my first set of force feedback and flashers. I've enjoyed it plenty without, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it more with. Besides the flipper aiming problems, mine have demonstrated a consistent lag of maybe 15-20ms. Your brain accommodates the lag pretty quickly almost like how a batter swings the bat. But I can see how this is intolerable for some. For me, it's just part of the video game aspect of the simulation. When there is a shot you can't make from cradle, you just have to find another way to make it regularly. While this can throw your RW skills off, I've found that I can walk up to games I've only played on the sim and do pretty good. But sometimes I must admit that just playing stay alive can get you better scores than shooting for risky targets... in this regard VP mirrors the RW.

Here is my Force feedback controller board. It has contactors for the pops and relay boards to run a real knocker, strobes and starter solenoids for theflippers and slingshots. It also has RGB PWM for the 5 flasher light show (which is totally amazing).

For me, this virtuapin would take priority over a real pin if I was stranded on an island with one machine, but as others have said, to each his own and these machines are really just complementary to a small collection. It's not and never will be the real thing just like MS Flight simulator will never be the same as flying an aircraft. The real question being asked is if the simulation is immersive and I think the answer to that is a resounding yes.

IMAG1039.jpg

#46 6 years ago

GLWS

I also have one if you are in my neck of the woods and shipping kills the deal.
    I would also consider trading for a real pin or pins.

#47 6 years ago

Saturday bump

#48 6 years ago

I should probably also add that I don't mind delivering to you for the price of my gas if you're within a day' strive of Nashville. Just to sweeten the pot.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from MTPPC:

Here is my Force feedback controller board. It has contactors for the pops and relay boards to run a real knocker, strobes and starter solenoids for theflippers and slingshots. It also has RGB PWM for the 5 flasher light show (which is totally amazing).

In the words of Joe Dirt.... "Daaang." That is pretty wild.

#50 6 years ago

If only closer to Baltimore...

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside