Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by guard
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

On my Genie, the right upper mini flipper flips rapidly most times that you hit the flipper. Other times it works OK. Other times it doesn't even flip when you hit the button. The lower flippers all work just fine without any issues. Does anyone know what might cause this?

Also, is it normal for both upper mini flippers to have a tiny delay - they don't quite flip at the exact same time as the lower flippers. Thanks guys.

#2 4 years ago

Delay is normal. The upper flippers are controlled by a secondary switch mounted on the lower flippers, so they don't flip until after the lower flipper flips. This switch is probably your issue. I'd clean it and make sure it's making good contact

#4 4 years ago

There is an annoying delay that was part of the design. It bothered me a bunch so I wrote up this post inside the Genie Club to show how to fix this

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genie-owners-club

Mike V

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

There is an annoying delay that was part of the design. It bothered me a bunch so I wrote up this post inside the Genie Club to show how to fix this
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genie-owners-club
Mike V

That will technically get rid of the delay, however the point of the delay is to prevent all the flippers from firing at once, since the game can't supply enough current to power them all at full strength. Hence the delay. Bally/Stern do the same thing. Williams eventually figured out the whole double switch 'staging', which is probably the best solution here

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

That will technically get rid of the delay, however the point of the delay is to prevent all the flippers from firing at once, since the game can't supply enough current to power them all at full strength. Hence the delay. Bally/Stern do the same thing. Williams eventually figured out the whole double switch 'staging', which is probably the best solution here

I have fired all 5 flippers together since the mod was put in and I have had no issues. No other changes have even made

Mike V

#7 4 years ago

I'll check out that mod, but more importantly....still getting that rapid upper right mini flipper. Seems to happen after a couple minutes. So I rebuilt every flipper in the game - all new parts. EOS switches are all perfectly gapped. Still happens.

The flipper buttons themselves only have one switch each and the lower flippers never flip rapidly. I cleaned the switches so make good contact anyway, but same issue. Anything else to check?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

I'll check out that mod, but more importantly....still getting that rapid upper right mini flipper. Seems to happen after a couple minutes. So I rebuilt every flipper in the game - all new parts. EOS switches are all perfectly gapped. Still happens.
The flipper buttons themselves only have one switch each and the lower flippers never flip rapidly. I cleaned the switches so make good contact anyway, but same issue. Anything else to check?

Did you replace and gap the switches on the lower flippers that control the upper switches?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Did you replace and gap the switches on the lower flippers that control the upper switches?

I did, and I checked that a bunch of times...but what I didn't realize is the switch for the uppers are actually on the lowers (you mentioned this atop the thread but I misread it as the switch was at the buttons). This is my first older solid state so I'm still kinda figuring out what everything does. Realizing the upper flipper switch is basically an EOS switch on the lowers, I just changed the gap to be very tight rather than 1/8".

This fixed BOTH issues....now the upper flippers flip exactly with the lowers (I'm sure there's a tiny delay but it's not noticeable) and the upper right no longer jitters.

Hey RacingPin - jusy FYI, all that work you did isn't really necessary....just make the switch gap shorter on the lowers and they flip exactly like modern games with uppers.

8 months later
#10 4 years ago

Got the upper flipper right flipper working perfect from the advice in this thread but now my lower right flipper pulls in real slow. The middle right flipper snaps like it should....

#11 4 years ago

Think I got it......one of the switches has been "repaired' and I guess it twisted when I cleaned. looked like contact at the front but nothing at the back [and hard to see], straightened it out and it snaps good now. Lets try a game shall we??

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 7.50
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
Various Other Swag
UpKick Pinball
Various other swag
$ 8.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genie-upper-flipper-oddities and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.