s1slam (resized).jpg
84649276-AB6B-4E6D-A788-2925232A86F0 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7083 (1) (resized).JPG
IMG_7128 (resized).JPG
5075D8B2-43B1-4792-81E5-1A5C5AA65554 (resized).png
s80br2 (resized).jpg
s80br1 (resized).jpg
IMG_7088 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 years ago

Did you lift up that playfield while the game was powered on?

When you power on the game what is it exactly doing?
I’m just trying to get a clear idea of what problems your having since I’m not there and the game is not in front of me.
I’m really trying to help..

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

when it was all the way up. Would that cause a problem??

Yes it could have that's why its always better to work on a machine while its powered off.You may have caused a short.
im doing more reading in your post

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

Tilt maybe and kill it like whats happening??

Did you check the tilt switch to see that they are not gapped together?and plum bob tilt in the lower part of the cabinet also did you check the main fuse to see if it has blown?
From looking at the pics everything looks to quite normal and nothing out of place,Ok the 2 coils for the drop targets are not firing.Most likely the fuse to those coils has blown,Check the transistors that run/control those coils.Test them with a meter with the power off,Do you know how to test transistors with a meter?

#8 4 years ago

when testing fuses are you pulling them out and checking with meter?
Open then backbox and reseat all the connectors on the boards,its possible when you raised the playfield it may have pulled the wiring a bit to hard and connector came loose

#9 4 years ago

To test transistor power off the game set meter to continuity,Place black probe onto ground(grey metal strap).With red probe touch the tab of transistor,If you hear a beep from meter that means transistor is bad/shorted

#10 4 years ago

Common Electronic Issues.
Battery corrosion (from the on-the-MPU-board battery) is the major cause of repair on this series of games. This also compromises the card edge style connectors going to the MPU board, meaning these often need to be re-pinned. Ground issues are also another nagging problem with this system, causing game lock ups and burnt coils. Additionally, since the game uses custom “spider” chips on the MPU board, there are a large number of unavailable parts for this board. companies like NiWhumpf have developed a replacement MPU board.I know you have stated that you have this new board in your game

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

There is on under the PF that has to be wide open right? Are there any other switches besides the relay?

The switches under PF are suppossed to be open that's correct,no other switches besides the relay

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

Which fuse controls the PF?

it should be located in the backbox on the board,check the power supply board

#14 4 years ago

Something to keep in mind Gottlieb didn’t mount switch diodes directly to the switches. Instead they mounted the 1n270 diodes under the playfield on a diode board. Though switch columns (returns) don’t used diodes (the rows do)..This is if no wires came loose off one of the switches and if a wire came loose then the other switches going upstream in that column will not work.(This is just a note for later on if you run into a switch problem.

#15 4 years ago

Quick question are the ground mods done on your game?

#18 4 years ago

Just adding notes to this thread ok

Problem: Game goes to "GAME OVER" during play for no apparent reason.
Answer: Check the two normally closed SLAM switches for adequate pressure. One of the slam switches is mounted inside the coin door, the other is at the ball roll assembly inside the cabinet. Improperly adjusted switches will respond to game vibration levels and show this problem. Also check the suppression diodes across the pop bumpers, flippers and slingshot kicker c

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

Yes all the grounds mods were done with the new boards. I think the short caused the board crash. No where is it???

ok i just read something about the U2 GAL chip on the board you have installed. Now that’s a custom chip, made special for the Ni-Wumpf CPU board. This isn’t something you can buy, unless it’s directly from Ni-Wumpf.
somehow the new Ni-Wumpf CPU board could have a bad chip or that short could have affected that chip

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

I did replace a pop bumper coil at the same time. Could another coil be causing it?? I am going to unsoloder it.

I really dont think so unless the wires were soldered in the wrong order on the coil tabs

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

The coin door and ball cage ones are supposed to be closed and I soldered the coin door one shut

Tell you what try unsoldering the coin door tilt switch lets see what happens,you stated you soldered it shut.give a shot

#23 4 years ago

Great info in the vid..It's about system 1 drop target coils,slam tilts,ect.

#24 4 years ago

Step One: Power off, Check the Lower Board Fuses & Bridges.
With the game off remove each of the fuses one at a time and test with a Multimeter (DMM) set to continuity. If a fuse is blown, just don't replace it (just yet). Fuses often blow for a reason. Note what the fuse does (there should be labels for each of the fuses).
If for example the fuse for the CPU driven 6 volt lamp power is blown, test its accompanying bridge rectifier (because if the bridge is shorted, its accompanying fuse will blow). There's only two bridge rectifiers in a system1 game (25 volts coil power, 6 volts cpu driven lamp power.)
If the 69 volt fuse for the score displays is blown, this often means one of the power supply's four 1N4004 diodes used for rectifying this voltage is shorted. If a 6.3 volt general illumination lighting fuse is blown, that can often mean a shorted light socket on the playfield.
Now that the lower fuse panel is all checked out, REMOVE the 25 volt solenoid fuse before proceeding! Set it aside for later.

Step Two: Power off, Check Playfield Coil Resistance.
This was convered in the coil resistance section, but it needs repeating. If a driver board transistor shorted or there is a ground issue, a coil can lock-on and burn. If this is the case, either cut the non-banded diode lead going to the coil, or replace the coil. I do this before initial power-up. Because a burned (shorted) low-resistance coil can damage the driver board.

Step Three: Isolate the Power Supply.
This simply involves removing the top J2 and right J3 power supply connectors. (The top connector supplies 5/-12 volts to the CPU and driver board, the right side connector supplies display voltages to the score displays.) Only the bottom J1 power supply connector is attached (makes sure it's attached properely too, because this connector can be reversed!) Now turn the game on. The power supply's top connector J2 can be checked for +5 and -12 volts DC. The right side connector J3 can be checked for 60, 42, 8 and 4 volts DC. (The power supply board is screened with the voltage outputs for these connectors.) If any voltages are missing, you will need to repair the power supply before continuing. (More information on that can be found in the Power Supply section.)

Step Four: Power Up with the CPU board Only.
Now that the power supply checks out, the CPU board can be added to the mix. All CPU connectors can be removed except for the left most J1 (power) connector. Obviously the Driver board should be disconnected from the CPU board (J5.) Also remove the two right side CPU connectors J2 and J3 (which go to the score displays.) Disconnect J6 and J7 (switch matrix) connectors too.

#28 4 years ago

Your very welcome and im glad progress is being made Ok,The driver board in your game is it original board? I reread your post above and i see you stated its a rottendog driver board,very good board

Next thing we will try is to test diodes,transistors and coil resistance

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

it WAS THE CPU that was causing the PF Tilt issues!

I would have never thought it would be on CPU..Wow

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

I believe the drop target coils are CPU controlled and not Driver controlled

Yes that's correct,Only the Pop bumpers, slingshots, coin door lockout and flipper coils are NOT CPU controlled. All other coils are controlled by the CPU.Next thing is to test those 2 coils for the drop targets,the diode on those coils and the coil resistance we will test.Here's what i'll do in the next few posts is explain how to test coli resistance in one post and how to test diodes on coil in other post and how to test transistors in another post...Sorry if i'm confusing you but this way each post will be for 3 different things to test.

#31 4 years ago

To test diode on a coil-power off game

1.set meter to diode setting
2.remove one leg of the diode on the coil
3.place black probe on banded side of diode
4.place red probe on non-banded side of diode
5.meter should read .4 through .6 anything lower or higher is bad/shorted diode.
next step on the same diode

1.place black probe on non-banded side of diode
2.place red probe on banded side of diode
3.meter should read ZERO...Any readings come up means bad/shorted diode.

#32 4 years ago

To test coil resistance-Power off game

Set meter to ohms/lowest resistance setting.Then put the meters red and black probes on each coil's lugs, A resistance of 2 ohms or greater should be seen if not then there's something wrong....Let me know what readings you get on this ok,That way if it's not 2 ohms or higher we will do more testing.

#33 4 years ago

To test transistor quick test 95% accurate-power off game

1.set meter on continuity setting
2.place black probe to ground(Gray strap in backbox)
3.touch the transistor tab with red probe
4.if the meter beeps when touching red probe to the tab of transistor it means that transistor has shorted/bad/faulty

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Pinmike - you are rocking this. High praise sir!

Quoted from Genieye:

I am so thankful and impressed with Mike's knowledge and his willingness to help someone like myself. He is giving me a chance to hopefully get it fixed.I have been on a crash course for the last month since I bought Genie and have learned so much. Following his direction here is going to teach me a lot more about detailed pinball troubleshooting and repair. Thanks Mike! I am getting to work and will let you know what I find!

Good morning guys Thank you I appreciate it!!

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

The VM is set to 200 and I get a reading of 0.8 If I set the VM to 2000 it reads 00.0 which seems shorted??

yes that is very low and yes i do see that to cut off that diode is a bit tight.That diode looks a bit rough and looks old,Did you measure the other coil?

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

After letting Ni-Wumpf know that their board fixed the PF going dead they pretty much said convinced me that the Driver Board is shorted and said that I need to replace it. It is 12 years old. With the drop target coils out I cranked up the game and it will play then go to Tilt and go dead. I power it up and it does it again after a ball or 2. I read that the driver controls the Tilt relay so it makes sense that this board is the culpit. Mike what do you think?
I am not going to play with it anymore until I get a new board and coil unless you have any other recommendations. Marco is close to where I live. I could actually drive to get it but will see how fast they can ship it to me. From what a gather there is not much you can do to troubleshoot a bad Rottendog Driver board? That true?
I would love your feedback on this before I do anything. You have been awesome! Thanks.

Yes i would suspect the driver board is the problem because the coils to drop targets are CPU controlled.I would also get 2 new coils for the drop targets,Give me a few minutes to take a look into the rottendog driver board and see which component that controls the tilt and see if something we can do to get it fixed

#41 4 years ago

Here's a schematic for genie i just put this up for later on to look at
genie2 (resized).pnggenie2 (resized).png

#42 4 years ago

The game over relay coil and the tilt relay coil are main suspects also and they both have 1n4004 diodes these diodes are suspect also because its letting you play a game but then it tilts or game over pops up,I have an idea if you would like to try.
disconnect both of those coils the game over relay coil and the tilt relay coil,This way the tilt coils and the drop target coils will be diconnected.Then power up game and see if the game plays without tilting or end the game during a play.If you plan on doing this make sure you take pics of those coils before taking them out so this way there's no confusion to where the wires go back on those coils.What do you think?It shouldnt hurt anything just a bit of a little more work.

I'm still looking into that driver board

#43 4 years ago

Ok here's more info about the rottendog driver board,This board is very reliable and the transistors on that board can easily be tested without taking the board out of the backbox.

The Rottendog replacement Gottlieb System 1 driver board. The cool thing
about this board is the updated design. The Dawg people updated the
driver board so it uses one common MOSfet driver for all the coils and
lamps. The MOSfets are rated to handle way more current than the original
Gottlieb components, so it is unlikely you'll ever have to repair this board.
Price is very reasonable too.

s1drv1r (resized).jpgs1drv1r (resized).jpg
#44 4 years ago

Let's test the transistors on the rottendog driver board and see if any of those transistors have shorted..It only takes a few minutes to do

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

Did I somehow short the coil that fried the Driver then CPU??

Quoted from Genieye:

Any ideas on all this??

I do believe the drop target coils sent a spike and fried the chip on the CPU,Those drop target coils and the diodes on those coils are mostly fried/bad/faulty.
Then when you lifted up the playfield with power on caused a short to the rottendog driver board transistor or transistors.It very easy to cause a short on any pinball machine,just a slight metal touch to powered on coils can cause a short.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

it sounds like I can do it with the board attached

Yes you can test the transistors while the board is attached.

To test transistor quick test 95% accurate-power off game
1.set meter on continuity setting
2.place black probe to ground(Gray strap in backbox)
3.touch the transistor tab with red probe
4.if the meter beeps when touching red probe to the tab of transistor it means that transistor has shorted/bad/faulty

Test all the transistors on that board,Remember you dont have to remove the board or the transistors off the board to test them

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

the Rottendog and put in the new Gottlieb System 1 Driver. Think that's a good choice?

The rottendog board is a good board and very reliable but the new Gottlieb system 1 driver board it is way more upgraded.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

but I do not see any coils associated with them??

They may have been removed during ground modifications...Didnt you solder the tilt switch together?

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

The old board played with the ball switch disconnected. Possible that that switch might be causing a problem on the newer board???

Yes that is possible,since the game is in your house i really dont see any reason to keep the tilt switch connected.Looking at that pic i see a very long screw going through that switch.Is that screw touching metal near that coil?Plus there's a red/white wire that is wired to a orange/white wire

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Sorry if this has been mentioned but those coil lugs look dangerously close to the frame. Any chance they are shorting against the metal frame?
[quoted image]

Thank you for spotting that yes it is very close to that frame

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

I checked the slam switches. The one on the ball cage might possibly have of been opening but its not now. I do not think that was causing it. I played 6 games until it went to Tilt. PF goes dark and Tilt light is on. With the old CPU the game just quit not like a tilt. It did not do that so far playing which is why I got the new board to test so that is a great thing as we thought the CPU was causing it. Looks like it was at least so far. Wow those switch screws are close to the plate on both the Game Over and Tilt relays but not touching. There are 2 red/purple wires to the leads on both of the relays. There are numerous switches on both relays so I am not about to play with them.
Plan is to drive to Marco to pick up the driver and coils tomorrow. I will give you an update. I am hoping for a Pinball Christmas Miracle to have this working 100% by then. Without your help I would not have had a chance! Thanks Mike!

Ok buddy post back

#62 4 years ago

Remember when reconnecting the wires to the coil that the power wire (usually two wires or thicker wires) goes to the coil's lug with the BANDED side of the diode attached. The thinner wire is the coil's return path to ground via the driver transistor and attaches to the coil lug with the non-banded side of the diode attached.

#64 4 years ago

Hi buddy,Yes everything looks good from the pics

#65 4 years ago

Quick question buddy I was just looking over your pics and the second pic of that coil I zoomed in on that diode and it looks toasted or dirt build up.It may still be good but you did mention your receiving 2 new coils right?

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

It is the R coil that is bad which is the second picture. I would have bought 2 but was lucky to get one as they were out of stock but I called and they found one to send which was fantastic of them to do. Lucky. I never had a problem with the first pic or L coil. I really hope this plus the new driver takes care of it. I won't get anything delivered until the day after Christmas but not bad. Fed Ex 2 day. I will certainly let you know who it works out. Thanks for all!

Ok sounds good sorry we didn't make it in time before Christmas

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

The Christmas Miracle has happened!!! At least so far. I called Fed Ex and they made sure it got on the truck for today! So I just have to pray that it is the coil and not some other quirky problem that's causing the short. I now have a new CPU and Driver as of today so as long as the coils is good so should the Genie be. I will know later while I am drinking my spiked eggnog! This has been quite the journey and story. What an ending to have it working on Christmas Eve!

Wow! That would be Awesome i'm glad and hoping you will receive them today

#71 4 years ago

Hmmmm,This is really strange i don't remember if genie uses/has a under-the-playfield transistor board.Look in the manual at the board section and see if there is a transistor board that goes under the playfied

#73 4 years ago

Genie does not use a under the playfield transistor board,Let's try this to just verify pull that fuse out and test with meter

#74 4 years ago

There are other system1 fuses beside the bottom board fuses, all mounted under the playfield. There is usually a fuse for the pop bumpers and other major coil items like drop target reset banks.

#76 4 years ago

Let's test Bridge Rectifiers.

Step 1.
Set the DMM to diode test, and the first step is to put the red DMM lead on the ground lug of the bridge. (On system1 games the ground lug is easy to find, as it's the one with the green wire attached.) Then put the black DMM lead on each of the bridge lugs next to the ground lug (the AC bridge lugs.) A value of .4 to .6 volts should be seen on the DMM. Anything outside that range indicates a bad bridge rectifier.step 2 is next post
s80br1 (resized).jpgs80br1 (resized).jpg

#77 4 years ago

For step two of the test, put the black DMM lead on the positive output of the bridge. This is again easy to find as it's the bridge lead diagonal to the ground lug. (Also on newer bridges the positive output lug is set 90 degrees off from the other three lugs.) Then put the red DMM lead on each of the bridge lugs adjacent to the positive output lug (again the AC bridge lugs.) A value of .4 to .6 volts should be seen on the DMM. Anything outside that range indicates a bad bridge rectifier.

s80br2 (resized).jpgs80br2 (resized).jpg
#80 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

There are 7 switches, one for each drop target. It is not until all the targets are down that the coils energizes. Those switches came off when I replaced the drop targets. That would make sense that if one of those switches are not showing closed then the coil will not energize. correct?? I am checking those. I bet one of the wires is not soldered and the switch is OPEN. That has it be it!!!

yes that's correct

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

Thanks Mike going to check those as well but the switches were moved all around when taking the box on and off a couple times. Mike you are awesome!! I cannot thank you enough.

Your very welcome buddy we will keep trying

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

The only thing with that is the coil will not fire during the test. I would not think those switches would keep the coil test from working?? Agree??

no they would not.

#84 4 years ago

do the switches register?

#85 4 years ago

ok coil,diodes,transistor,are good, how about silicon devices in its ground path?

#87 4 years ago

Ok keep in mind the drop targets are CPU controlled

5075D8B2-43B1-4792-81E5-1A5C5AA65554 (resized).png5075D8B2-43B1-4792-81E5-1A5C5AA65554 (resized).png
#88 4 years ago

Connectors are a huge problem on System1 games, don't overlook them. The connectors along the bottom edge of the driver board *and* the connector that runs between the driver board and/or CPU board could cause a coil to not work.

#89 4 years ago

Step 3: Check the Driver board to Coil Wiring (Connectors).
This only applies to CPU controlled coils. With the game on and in game mode, use a DMM set to DC volts and check for power at both lugs of the coil in question. Power at only one lug means the coil is open (replace coil or re-attach broken winding). Power at neither lug suspect a bad solenoid fuse or the power "daisy chain" is broken up-stream.

#90 4 years ago

Sorry i don't mean to overload you with all this info but one does cross my mind and that is daisy chain of wires might be bent going from those coils upstream to the connector on the boards

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I think this is probably your next step, checking for power at the drop target coils. You'll need to open the game up and prop the playfield back against the backbox first. Then get your meter and set it to check DC volts. You'll need a ground connection to place the black lead on. There should be a ground strap somewhere in the cabinet you can place the black probe on...may need to see pics of the inside of the cab in order to better clarify. Boot up the game, place the black probe on ground and place the red probe on one of the non-working coils solder lugs where the wires attach to the coils. What does your meter read? Try testing each of the lugs on both coils for voltage and let us know what you find. If you're unsure of your readings, try testing voltage at one of the working coils and see if you're getting a good DC voltage reading.
Be careful not to bump into any coils, lamps, etc while it's opened up, of course.

Yes that would be the next step but like you mentioned you have to be very careful when doing testing so you don’t cause a short

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

Thanks Frunch and certainly Mike who had helped me so much. I will go through all these things in hopes of figuring it out. Merry Christmas to everyone!!

Merry Christmas to you buddy and no worries we will help you all the way so you can enjoy your game.

#104 4 years ago

Hi Fellas,Merry Christmas to you all

Ok let me read the previous posts real quick to catch up on whats going on

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

The game plays perfectly except for those coils and drop targets.

Ok which coils besides the drop target coils are not firing?Or is it just the drop target coils not working?

Quoted from luch:

did you check the transitor that controls those coils

He just installed a new board

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

Merry Christmas Mike!! I just posted an update. I feel like an idiot for not seeing this screw binding things but that problem is fixed, Now the Genie TILTS no matter what, no shake of the table, no coils energized just everything goes dark and the Tilt light is on. I am very excited at least PF is all good until it goes to TILT. Man it is always something!! Drives a man to day drink! Honey wheres that egg nog!!

Tilt Again Oh No!!

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

Slam switches are taken care of. I don't think the slam switches cause a tilt do they? Hey I am beyond thrilled the game is working so we can all play but it goes to Tilt often which is a PIA. Any ideas?? You all have been fantastic and hope your Christmas is awesome. Thanks so much!

Ok how about trying this disconnect all the slam and tilt switches and lets see what happens without them.

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

I don't think the slam switches cause a tilt do they?

Yes they do

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

the one under the PF is wide open Correct? If it is slamming what is causing it??

That's correct it would be wide open,That's why i was suggesting to disconnect them all and then see if the game will play a game then we will hook each one back up one at time to see which one is the problem.

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

Gotcha will do. Unfortunately Christmas duties call at the moment so it might be a half hour or so before I can do it. In the meantime here is a pic of the one inside the cabinet taped shut and the wiring. Look right?? Thanks Mike![quoted image]

Your welcome buudy,Yes it looks correct but before you disconnect those slam and tilt switches take pics so it will be much easier to hook them back correctly

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

Mike!! You are a Pinball Genius!! I disconnected all the Slam switches and knock on my head as in wood (for not seeing that screw in the target box) the game has played fine no matter what I have thrown at it in 8 games. Single, 2 player, and 4 it has NOT TILTED!! This has been a Christmas Miracle for me! This morning nothing was going right. I had been dealing with this issue for weeks! Then with the help of you here, Ace at Ni-Wumpf, Marco, Fed Ex, It all came together and now it seems to be ok!!
So why with all the Slam switches open would it play?? Two are supposed to be closed right?? These machines are so perplexing and this goes against the logic of what I have read and heard. Can you explain why with the 3 switches open it does not Tilt??
I could not have made this happen without your help Mike and all the others here who chimed in. I cannot believe that it all worked out on Christmas Day (at least so far, fingers crossed with prayers)
I could not be happier and more relieved!! Company's coming and the GENIE is awesome!! Merry Christmas and thanks to ALL!!

Awesome!!!!!!! Great to hear fellas!!! Merry Christmas to all you guys!!!!

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Great work, guys!
Personally I'd just leave the slam switches disconnected/taped off, they'll never be necessary in a home environment...
Congrats on the fix, that was quite an adventure!

Yes that’s what I would do and enjoy the game!! Oh yes it was an adventure!!!

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

Ho Ho Ho it still is going to Tilt. I played 10 games without an issue once opening all the slam switches. I thought it was going to be ok but it tilted the last 2 out of 3 games. Disappointed is an understatement but will have to keep plugging away to figure it out. I am back to Mike's recommendation to wire each one to see it that cures things. They are supposed to be closed so was scratching my head as to why it was playing with the switches out of the machine. Ant ideas besides the slam switches?? Thanks again to all.

When you have time after playing the game and enjoying the heck out of it Haha!!!

Just disconnect all those switches then connect one back and start up a game and play a few games.if no tilt happens power off then connect the other switch then play a few games and see if a tilt happens.

But like what Frunch had mentioned since the game is in a home slam and tilt switches are not needed.All the pins I used to have I always had those switches disabled because I don’t shake or tilt the game because it can cause splintering in the wood where the legs are.Remember these games are old 20,30,years old.

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

It is driving me crazy! We play 2 or 3 games and life is grand then TILT!! No coil firing or pop bumpers hit. At anytime its Tlltsville. If it did this when one thing happened you could pinpoint it but it plays perfect for awhile then Poof. I know these games are old but I have this thing playing like it was in the beginning but then it just Tilts. Man I love the Genie and always wanted to own one. Now that I have one I think I need a real Genie to fix this thing for good. What is making it Tilt?? Will try to reconnect each slam switch tomorrow to see. Thanks to all.

Are those tilt or slam switches hooked back up or are they disconnected?.

#123 4 years ago

Tell you what let’s try this real quick before anything.There are 4 diodes on a small board in the bottom of the cabinet,in the pic you put up they are on the left side.Test them with meter using the same method on how I posted to test a diode and you do NOT need to remove them from that board just test like they are,From that pic if I’m seeing it correctly looks like they are the same colored wiring.Im following that wiring from that 25V fuse holder to that small diode board that has those 4 diodes and those diodes don’t look like they are in good shape and could be faulty/flaky.SKIP THIS FOR NOW AND READ THE POSTS BELOW I FOUND SOMETHING VERY INTERESTING ABOUT THE TILT SWITCH AND THE SLAM TILT.... I THINK I LOST MANY BRAIN CELLS THINKING ABOUT THIS HAHAHA!!

84649276-AB6B-4E6D-A788-2925232A86F0 (resized).jpeg84649276-AB6B-4E6D-A788-2925232A86F0 (resized).jpeg

#124 4 years ago

There is one slam switch inside front door around the lock, and one at the ball roll assembly at the left inside cabinet. Both these must be Normally Closed or the game will turn on the score display instantly with all zeros (no normal 5 second boot-up delay). Also you may see the score displays showing a wave like this "O0O0O0" then "0O0O0O" right to left. Again this shows a slam switch is open.

The coin door showing the normally closed Slam switch.

s1slam (resized).jpgs1slam (resized).jpg
#125 4 years ago

The ball roll and pendulum tilt switches on a system1 game. The
ball roll tilt switch must be CLOSED for the game to even "boot".

Note the Tilt switch and the Slam switch are different! The Tilt switches (like the pendulum tilt, right below the ball roll assembly inside the cabinet) are Normally Open. There is also another weighted tilt switch mounted under the playfield. These tilt switches should be OPEN, where the two Slam switches are CLOSED. This is confusing because, for example, inside the cabinet at the left is the tilt pendulum which is open, and a slam switch on the ball roll right above it is closed.

As an ending note, if the coin door coin switches' lockout wires are shorted to ground, this can cause a problem where the game looks to be "slammed tilted",The lockout wire can easily touch the blades of the coin door switch, essentially shorting the coin door switches to ground. This really causes some weird behavior, making the game look like it's slam tilted.

s1tilt (resized).jpgs1tilt (resized).jpg

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

It is driving me crazy!

Me Too!!! HAHAHA!!!!

#129 4 years ago

Hi buddy,Yes Christmas was very nice and it’s always good to spend time with family and friends

Ok connectors here’s a link that will show explain to you step by step on how to remove/replace System 1 edge connectors and so on.Also what parts,tools are needed its an excellent write up by Clay Herall(Great Guy)

http://www.pinrepair.com/connect

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

I stand corrected, see one at Marco and am ordering it.

Ha! Ok

#135 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

Mike, Is it possible to remove those pins using a small eyeglass screwdriver? Those pins are in tight and am wondering how the tool I bought works to get them out? Any trick to this? There is an extra pin in the connector for some reason with the wire cut. If I can remove that and the bad pin I can fix it now. This will be over one day!! I hope!!

Yes it is possible you may have to just apply more pressure to those pins to get them out but keep in mind that those pins will have to be put back into the connector in the same exact order!

#137 4 years ago

Something like this tool would be great to have but for the life of me I can’t remember the name for it.

49993225-9A24-4275-818F-52A9D6A9D197 (resized).jpeg49993225-9A24-4275-818F-52A9D6A9D197 (resized).jpeg
#140 4 years ago

A screwdriver is a bit thick and a bit wider when you are trying to extract the wire out of that connector.When you insert the wire into the connector,That tiny piece of metal on the tip of that wire has a little pop up tab.So once it is inserted into connector that little pop up tab holds that wire in tightly so it doesn’t come loose.

#145 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

Got the pin out and now waiting on Fed Ex today to bring pins and tools. I was able to get it out with a tiny eyeglass screwdriver once I figured out how to unlock it. I really hope this will solve the tilt issues once and for all. It sure makes sense that it would be causing it. It was on the J6 edge connector going to the Driver.
As always thanks Mike for your help. What a great helping friend I have made here. What game or games do you own?

Hi buddy I’m glad I have you as a friend I used to have a good collection of pins 12-15 games but life took a twist such as divorce and health issues.I live in a small apartment and no room for a pin but hopefully One day the Good Lord willing I will have a big house and have another great pin collection.

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

Mike what a great person you are, someone who goes all out to help someone like myself who needs it. You are a wealth of knowledge and have helped me so much with this. I hope the Good Lord answers your prayers and you get back to what you want.

Thank you buddy there are a lot of great people in this hobby who go above and beyond.I also have been invited by many pinsiders to come over and play some pins in their collection(That really means a lot to me and I am very thankful to them:)I love the pin hobby it’s part of my life and brings me true happiness and joyful memories when I was a kid I also love helping others get their games fixed

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

this one is correct as I the terminals are .156. Look like the right one

Yes those are good

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Early system 1 game use color wires on chart and later system 1 use color code on right of chart pic of color code chart[quoted image]

Yes that's correct

#159 4 years ago

Because the slam switches go thru connectors and a lot or wiring to get to the switches, it is best to defeat the slam switches entirely. This can be done on the MPU board: short to ground the junction of R12 and C2 (or just run a jumper around capacitor C2, shorting its two legs).
As an ending note, if the coin door coin switches' lockout wires are shorted to ground, this can cause a problem where the game looks to be "slammed tilted", even if the C2 modification is done. The lockout wire can easily touch the blades of the coin door switch, essentially shorting the coin door switches to ground. This really causes some weird behavior, making the game look like it's slam tilted.

I know you have a Ni-wiumph board in there is there anyway you can call them ask them if there is a way to defeat the slam switches entirely on there board

#162 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

he might even think he sent me a bad Demo board of all things

Oh No!!

Quoted from Genieye:

I have been all over the coin door looking at wiring. Is it perhaps out of sight?

it should be right at the coin door unless the previous owner removed it. When bought genie was it working?

#164 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

The game is showing Slam Tilts but no Tilts when tested. They are both are Tilts so what is the difference? If a Slam switch is not causing it because the switches are bypassed then what could be causing the Slam to cause the Tilt? Why is it indicating Slams when the Slam switches are bypassed?

Tilts are caused when the machine is lifted or pushed

Slam tilt is when someone slams on the coin door or front of the game.

Now,These 2 Switches are CPU controlled which are driving us nuts,Since it’s a new CPU board there’s no way of testing it.
Did they send you any schematics or a component layout used on this board?

#166 4 years ago

Yes the CPU could be the main culprit since those switches are CPU controlled.I would disconnect all those switches for now.If all those switches are disconnected and a tilt still occurs then 100% it’s the CPU no doubt about it.

#167 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

I opened up the coin door slam switch,

When you have time can you post up a pic of that whole coin door and the coin door slam switch wires?

#169 4 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

The flippers , slings and pop bumpers are all non CPU controlled on these system one games

Yeah already been mentioned
First page

FC8AC9DC-AA1C-4296-B323-B6A2F8CB7856 (resized).pngFC8AC9DC-AA1C-4296-B323-B6A2F8CB7856 (resized).png
#170 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

Ni-Wumpf said they fear that it is possible they sent a defective Demo board. Here is the strange thing Mike. The game was tilting every couple games. I opened up the coin door slam switch, wires disconnected and it has only tilted twice in 25 games!! This goes against logic right?? The ball cage switch is closed but the other wide open! It was tilting every few games with that switch closed. Since the CPU controls tilting I am thinking the Demo board might just be the culprit. Mike what do you make of this??

Hi Buddy we haven't heard from you in 2 days,Are you Ok?

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

This madness is why I have not been here. All this has happened while I had company for a few days over New Years. So what do you think about all this? Can't wait to get your response!
The 2 big questions. Is there anything else besides the CPU/Driver that can cause constant voltage to those coils? And do I buy and new CPU vs a 12 year old repaired one?

THIS HAS BEEN ONE HECK OF A STORY/PINBALL NIGHTMARE...
We went through all the steps one by one,The coils and the diodes on those coils were all checked out and passed.The blame would have to be the CPU because it has been confirmed that on your game Genie the drop target coils are controlled by the CPU.I've tried doing some researching on these Ni-Wumpf boards and haven't really found much about them but i have come across some posts here on Pinside from members some are happy with them and some are not.But before you buy or repair the board let me get in touch with Pinsider Chris Hibler he repairs and fixes boards and he is great with them.I'll send him a PM and see if he will chime in to this thread and hopefully shed more light on this problem.

-Mike

#173 4 years ago

Ok i just sent Chris a message let's wait a bit and see what he says,I told him about your thread and hopefully he will chime in soon.

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

Great suggestion! It also evidently did not save the Boards from shorting out. That is what is surprising to me that the design would not save something as critical as that. Thanks!

Fuses are the weakest link in the chain,Sometimes the spike is too powerful blowing the fuse and taking out some components on the boards.It happens many times on all kinds of pins Bally,Gottilieb,Stern,Williams,and Data East.But let's look at it this way it is a learning process as you go so as your pin collection will grow you'll be prepared and have the basic idea on how pins work and where to start..

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

Hello all, well I am happy to report that my Genie seems to finally be playing like it should. No more shorted drop target coils, no more quitting or tilting. It has been a Looonnngggg road for sure and an agonizing one and could not have done it without you all especially Mike. Man very grateful to you buddy!
I cannot begin to describe the help I received from Ace at Ni-Wumpf. He has been with me every step of the way, answering all my emails, sending me Demo Boards to try, mailing everything 2 day Priority, you name it. The level of customer service from them is extraordinary not to mention their boards are fantastic! It can be tough as we all know to get good information at times especially when your new to this. Thanks to ALL who helped me.
In the end I replaced the CPU and Driver with a Ni-Wumpf boards, 2 new coils and replaced 3 pins on A1-J6. Pins 1 Ground, 2 Slam, and 3 Return. The game is fantastic now. Here is a photo of my Genie you all helped me get right. Besides a faded back glass which is in pretty good shape otherwise it is playing great. I hope life is good for all.[quoted image]

Awesome!! Enjoy your game buddy! Play as much as your heart desires you've earned it..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 7.50
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genie-system-1-will-not-boot?tu=pinmike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.