• 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by noflip95
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TWSound57 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Heaterguy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Just got a Genie, got everything else worked out (flipper coil diode loose wire display issues etc...)
My last problem is no sound.
Pulled, cleaned with Isop alcohol the EPROM and reseated, did same to connector.
No luck, noticed heat sink and EPROM hot to touch.
Checked heatsink thermalloy switch, it stays open even when cool. I didnt think these things went bad that often?
What would cause EPROM overheating?
Visual inspection of caps/res seems fine, have not Ohmed out or checked power although when adjusting Pot I get crackles and a slight hum.
Read about ground issues but not sure that would cause my prob.
I wish I had more time but I got to leave for a Gig, will hope for some good advice and try again tomorrow.

#3 5 years ago

I see,yes the manual calls it a Prom. Im still not sure what the problem is but thanks for this info.

#7 5 years ago

Thank you kind sir(s), much appreciated!

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

However, if with the Prom removed, you are getting more than 5 volts DC out of the regulator,

Thanks, great tip!
I get 5 v when I do this so I assume regulator to be OK, however I am getting low voltage readings (3.5) at the IC's when I replace PROM.
Its getting late and I did not check all IC's and resistor voltages per the schematic, but I will tomorrow.

I checked out the PI-FX/1 board, currently out of stock.
Is this the ONLY option since the PROM is obsolete?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Heaterguy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genie-system-1-second-gen-sound-board-problem?tu=Heaterguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.