• Latest reply 5 years ago by noflip95
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TWSound57 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Just got a Genie, got everything else worked out (flipper coil diode loose wire display issues etc...)
My last problem is no sound.
Pulled, cleaned with Isop alcohol the EPROM and reseated, did same to connector.
No luck, noticed heat sink and EPROM hot to touch.
Checked heatsink thermalloy switch, it stays open even when cool. I didnt think these things went bad that often?
What would cause EPROM overheating?
Visual inspection of caps/res seems fine, have not Ohmed out or checked power although when adjusting Pot I get crackles and a slight hum.
Read about ground issues but not sure that would cause my prob.
I wish I had more time but I got to leave for a Gig, will hope for some good advice and try again tomorrow.

#2 5 years ago

System 1 MPUs can't use an EPROM unless you use an adapter--you need to use either an original masked ROM or an EPROM with an adapter like this:

http://pinitech.com/products/gottlieb_prom.php

[edit]: Nevermind, I misread the question.

#3 5 years ago

I see,yes the manual calls it a Prom. Im still not sure what the problem is but thanks for this info.

#4 5 years ago

Those boards were poorly made. The irreplaceable chips are contaminated and rot from the inside. I usually buy a pascal board or convert to chimes.

#5 5 years ago

Ps also the adapter only works on cpu proms . The sound board pin outs are different

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

Ps also the adapter only works on cpu proms . The sound board pin outs are different

Oops, I was on the go and misread the question.

The adapter is only for the MPU.

The links for the compatible replacement sound boards (one version is currently out of stock):

http://www.flippp.fr/pifx1.php
http://www.flippp.fr/pifx.php

#7 5 years ago

Thank you kind sir(s), much appreciated!

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Heaterguy:

I see,yes the manual calls it a Prom. Im still not sure what the problem is but thanks for this info.

If the heat sinked item is the 5 volts regulator, chances are, the PROM is internally shorted and loading down the regulator. This would explain both items getting hot.

However, if with the Prom removed, you are getting more than 5 volts DC out of the regulator, then the regulator is likely shorted and damaged other ICs on the board.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

However, if with the Prom removed, you are getting more than 5 volts DC out of the regulator,

Thanks, great tip!
I get 5 v when I do this so I assume regulator to be OK, however I am getting low voltage readings (3.5) at the IC's when I replace PROM.
Its getting late and I did not check all IC's and resistor voltages per the schematic, but I will tomorrow.

I checked out the PI-FX/1 board, currently out of stock.
Is this the ONLY option since the PROM is obsolete?

#10 5 years ago

John may have the ability to sell you a new sound Prom L

https://www.flippers.com/catalog/product_info.php/gottlieb-game-sound-promeproms-p-2802

But at $25, I would try to make sure it's the only thing wrong with your board now (hard to do without a known good PROM). Not sure if another pinsider could help you on that subject. Once you add up all the shipping back and forth, it hardly sounds worth it. Except the alternative is out of stock.

There is a very good chance the only problem is the Prom that someone probably plugged in backwards. This shorts out a protection diode across Vcc and Ground inside the chip.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Heaterguy:

Check the second link. It's also compatible, just a bit more expensive since it also includes system 80 games, and not just system 1 games.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Heaterguy:

Thanks, great tip!
I get 5 v when I do this so I assume regulator to be OK, however I am getting low voltage readings (3.5) at the IC's when I replace PROM.
Its getting late and I did not check all IC's and resistor voltages per the schematic, but I will tomorrow.
Is this the ONLY option since the PROM is obsolete?

You can also consider replacing your board with a TWISTER Sound!
TWSound57 (resized).jpgTWSound57 (resized).jpg
Details are available at our website https://www.flipprojets.fr/AudioTwisterSound_EN.php
Soon available at pinside market... but you can contact us now for price/availability.

And unlike other cards, this one faithfully reproduces the original sounds
This board was developed to overcome the deficiencies of obsolete components like MMI PROM, 6530 RRIOT and 6503 CPU.

If only your PROM is dead, it is not necessary to change the entire board (sometimes we find replacement adapters, but rarely original PROMs). On the other hand, if the 6530 circuit is dead, it can not be changed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genie-system-1-second-gen-sound-board-problem?hl=heaterguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.