Genie system 1 MPU problem

By pinballpicker

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

When Genie is turned on and game started it will not play any tones when scoring points and the game always has 5 balls per game and seems to be on free play all the time. I have set the dip switches to the right settings but nothing ever seems to change. If I set the dip switch to have 3 balls per game, it still has 5. Audio board plays a series of musical tones when reset button is pressed and capacitors have been replaced and the ground is connected. Any ideas?

#2 9 years ago

are you still using the orig. cpu in the machine?

#3 9 years ago

Do you have the original MPU still in the game?
Any alkaline corrosion on the board?
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
htp://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#4 9 years ago

DIP sw's sometimes goes "bad"

Some question(s) ... do you have HSTD (high score to date) displayed in attract mode ? (DIP sw 21)

... how many credits (max) you can make ?

....do you hear credit (coin SW) tune ? ( DIP sw 23 )

Greetings from Croatia

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from cro_pinman:

DIP sw's sometimes goes "bad"

Yep -- seen it.
Most DIP switches are not sealed. Somebody washes their boards using a hose, dishwasher, whatever... A few years later, one or more of the DIP switches will no longer function properly. A switch that had been open for years will remaining registering as open after being closed and vice-verse.

#6 9 years ago

I say just get that new all in one replacement board. I think it is like $260 shipped from Europe. I hear it is very convenient.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I say just get that new all in one replacement board. I think it is like $260 shipped from Europe. I hear it is very convenient.

But just a bit more expensive than replacing what could possibly be just a bad dip switch

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from woz:

But just a bit more expensive than replacing what could possibly be just a bad dip switch

Just saying. Wont have to worry about future issues that might be close to occurring with an old game like that. But yeah, I definitely will spend some good time trying to repair before I replace.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballpicker:

If I set the dip switch to have 3 balls per game, it still has 5.

Use you meter and see if the switch is correctly set.

#10 9 years ago

Another thing you can try is to flip the dip switch back and forth a few times. I remember I had a Sinbad awhile back that wouldnt display the number of credits(dip 13). I had to flip it on/off a few times for it to start working.

Metering them would be best though.

#11 9 years ago

Thanks guys for all the replies. This is not the original CPU, I bought one that was in better shape. This board did have some battery corrosion. I cleaned off what I could and repaired solder connections. I'll check the dip switches with my meter and see what they read. I don't have a replacement battery in it so it will not keep the high score to date. The status display is messed up (another issue) so I never know how many credits it shows. It does not have any coin credit tone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 7.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genie-system-1-mpu-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.