5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180530_211635 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

So I recently acquired this game, and discovered an erratic problem: the game would cut out during play and reset to zero. (Sometimes you could play 3 or 4 complete games first, sometimes would happen during first game) I cleaned all the fuse and CB side connections, did not help.
I thought it may be a ground issue so I tightened all the ground wire lugs on the chassis. I also removed the A2 power supply and reinstalled it after cleaning tabs/connectors as it looked rough.
Now when I turn game on it appears that solonoids are sticking and instantly it blows the 25 volt 5 amp fuse.
I read through the Pinrepair guide (GREAT INFO!) and Im NOT getting -12 volts on the CPU. After looking at the schematic I saw the Knocker sol. behind the BR. I then checked the knocker coil resistance (11) which was good, and the diode which was good. My next step was to check the 25 volt Bridge Rectifier (BR) which checked out OK, HOWEVER, the 6 volt one did not check out OK. The driver board transistors checked out ok.

QUE 1:
Would the 25 volt fuse blow due to the 6 volt BR being bad?
I would think it would blow the 6 volt fuse?
I have never changed a BR but looks like i will have to.

QUE 2:
See pic, what type of battery has been installed on the CPU? It does not appear to be original.

I plan on re capping and doing ground mods per Pinrepair guide but want to get machine back online first.

Oh and the sound is still broke...(My different post from earlier this month) Im gonna order a new sound board but am focused on this bigger issue now!

#2 5 years ago

No -12 v to the CPU chipset and nothing will work (unless you are running a Pascal which doesn't need it). Not sure if Niwupf needs it?

Typically, only a shorted bridge would blow it's own fuse (not an open bridge).

Of course, if coils lock on, you are going to blow the 25v fuse.

#3 5 years ago

BTW, I see no pic.

#4 5 years ago

Yes coils are def locking and 6 volt bridge is open. (isnt the 6 volt for lighting? they are all stuck on as well...)
Pic must have been to large I downsized it and reattached

20180530_211635 (resized).jpg20180530_211635 (resized).jpg

#5 5 years ago

That's a standard 3 cell 3.6v nicad. You have a later model board which probably had a black nicad battery block when built.

Check across it when powered. If it happens to be shorted that can cause problems with the reset circuit.

Board will work without it installed. Just won't hold memory.

If you get the board working, get it off the board to prevent future damage.

#6 5 years ago

You have to get your -12 working first. Repair the power supply or change it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genie-system-1-25-volt-5-amp-fuse-blowing?hl=heaterguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.