pinside.c79c03348816a87c745005fe5cf0d6c84b9a24d0 (resized).jpg
20231107_210531 (resized).jpg
received_1375103876409308 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3668 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3667 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3658 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3659 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3584 (resized).jpeg
There are 296 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 9 years ago

Love my Genie. Who else loves theirs?

IMG_8891.JPGIMG_8891.JPG
#2 9 years ago

I love my Genie, she's a widebody but she looks mighty fine to me.

#3 9 years ago

Have 2 Genies currently - one will be made very pretty for resale and the other is for our personal collection; will get a NOS playfield that has been clearcoated. Both will get their cabinets repainted to like new...

Double Genie here... Double Genie here...
Getting touch upGetting touch up
during touch upduring touch up
during touch upduring touch up
Ready for reassemblyReady for reassembly
After some buffer workAfter some buffer work
Reassembly in progressReassembly in progress

#4 9 years ago

Iwantansi - how are you color matching for the cabinet repaints? What type of paint are you planning to use and how are you going to apply it? I have the same task in front of me and am hoping you can provide guidance

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Hjbondar:

Iwantansi - how are you color matching for the cabinet repaints? What type of paint are you planning to use and how are you going to apply it? I have the same task in front of me and am hoping you can provide guidance

Roll on an Emamel(home depot) for the base and spray cans for the art - go to a good art supply store and scope out their spray paints - bring pictures or paint chips with you to color match as close as you can...

#6 9 years ago

Love the Genie. First and only game that i have owned. Learned how to tap pass on it, and from a cradle on the lower right flipper the backhand to the collect bonus is one of the most satisfying shots for me in any game i've played.

#7 9 years ago

I love playing the 'ol sexy girl~! Here's a thread where I saved one from the dump: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tonight-i-picked-up-a-sexy-but-dirty-genie

#8 9 years ago

I ended up picking one up for $200. It was in very good shape since it was just sitting for 30 years. This was my first System 1 so I wasn't sure what to expect. Got it up and working and loved it! One thing though that I noticed was there was a delay between the upper set of flippers and the lower three. I checked all wiring and linkage and it appeared to be somewhat of a design issue. The upper flippers fire from a switch on the lower two but after adjusting the switch I was only able to get them to either have a delay in firing OR a delay in settling back.

Now this kind of irked me so I came up with a mod to fix it. I'm hoping I didn't overlook something before I put in this mod but if I did I assume someone will tell me.

The first thing I did was to get a '2 bundle' wire set (gray bundling) about 10 feet long with the wire having the same thickness as the current control wires. I soldered one end onto the appropriate cabinet flipper button lead (base one) on each side (See pic A - shows left side only) and laid out that bundled wire to snake through to the back of the cabinet and up to the playfield (See pic B and part of pic C).

I then soldered the other ends to the appropriate side flipper assembly mounting the wires on the left side lugs as shown in pic C.

One more important thing was to disable the current control switches on the lower flipper assemblies (See Pic D - shows left side only). I simply put electrical tape on so if someone wanted the mod completely out the whole thing is reversible.

Now there is absolutely no delay and loving the game even more!

I've also just ordered the P1-1 MPU board to make this game really come to life ..

gen01.jpggen01.jpg
gen02.jpggen02.jpg
gen03.jpggen03.jpg
gen04.jpggen04.jpg

Mike V.

#9 9 years ago

The Pascal board is great.

#10 9 years ago

Does anyone have a manual PDF they can email me? I am going to try to help my friend fix his Genie this weekend.

[email protected]

THX in ADVANCE
A

1 month later
#11 9 years ago

So much Genie in this picture...

10897050_932372013439961_7725803082299929279_n.jpg10897050_932372013439961_7725803082299929279_n.jpg

#12 9 years ago

Anyone have an nice mirrored Back glass for sale? Near San diego?? The girls in mine are almost flaked off, and the genie has a white robe on... Has anyone see the repros at bgresto.com?

#13 9 years ago

I've seen the BGresto Genies at the shows.

You might have to switch to LEDs to backlight it, because the backglass is less translucent.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

Anyone have an nice mirrored Back glass for sale? Near San diego?? The girls in mine are almost flaked off, and the genie has a white robe on... Has anyone see the repros at bgresto.com?

Just picked up a BGresto glass and i've got an old one I'd be willing to part with... you'd have to make the drive to OC though

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

Just picked up a BGresto glass and i've got an old one I'd be willing to part with... you'd have to make the drive to OC though

PM sent, thanks.

3 weeks later
#16 9 years ago

Some completely unnecessary polishing of flipper mech parts.

Also, didnt realize that i'd have to use the old "long" part of the switch as the flipper rebuild kit doesnt come with it..

1619635_946794775331018_5285304168113222973_n.jpg1619635_946794775331018_5285304168113222973_n.jpg

#17 9 years ago

I just bought a Genie that needs a repainted. Are stencils available or will I have to do my own?

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from indy5mike:

I just bought a Genie that needs a repainted. Are stencils available or will I have to do my own?

There are stencils available from many of the stencil makers...

#19 9 years ago

image-733.jpgimage-733.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#20 9 years ago

IMG_7581.JPGIMG_7581.JPGIMG_7580.JPGIMG_7580.JPGIMG_7578.JPGIMG_7578.JPGIMG_7576.JPGIMG_7576.JPG

1 week later
#21 9 years ago

Beautiful, thanks for sharing some pics. It's looks to be coming along really nicely.

3 weeks later
#22 9 years ago

25BEECB7-7350-402C-8AE7-2CB5F7C9654F.JPG25BEECB7-7350-402C-8AE7-2CB5F7C9654F.JPG

Polished up trough
IMG_7761.JPGIMG_7761.JPG

parts after buffing wheel on the right..
IMG_7762.JPGIMG_7762.JPG

all the hardware that isnt going back on - replaced with 1/4" hex screws
IMG_7766.JPGIMG_7766.JPG

IMG_7788.JPGIMG_7788.JPG

post screws after tumbling

IMG_7802.JPGIMG_7802.JPG

1 month later
#23 9 years ago

Some more Genie progress... new solid wood rails installed

10982778_989223841088111_8161157489381613836_o.jpg10982778_989223841088111_8161157489381613836_o.jpg 1596984_989223827754779_4381726052880605439_o.jpg1596984_989223827754779_4381726052880605439_o.jpg 10644604_989223854421443_5144659070993454374_o.jpg10644604_989223854421443_5144659070993454374_o.jpg 11154847_989223267754835_2359315684883898930_o.jpg11154847_989223267754835_2359315684883898930_o.jpg
#24 9 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

Some more Genie progress... new solid wood rails installed

Nice...now take that plastic off the inlane, and use a powerball like the one I was playing this weekend. That will wake you up

2 months later
#25 8 years ago

Just joined the Club - got a beautiful restored, minty clear-coated one with all new boards and rebuilt, powerful flippers. . Very happy.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#26 8 years ago

Painted the cab a few weeks ago...

working on the head next

IMG_8407.jpgIMG_8407.jpg

#27 8 years ago

Good stuff, the cabinet artwork on this machine is just beautiful. Great to see another one being brought back to its former glory.

1 month later
#28 8 years ago

Got stencils from Australia image.jpgimage.jpg

2 months later
#29 8 years ago

New rails/button/housing/nails - note that PBR doesnt sell rails that are the correct length for Genie. You will have to cut them to fit
IMG_0123.JPGIMG_0123.JPG

New shooter rod, that I polished up
IMG_0034.JPGIMG_0034.JPG

Coindoor - new red coin inserts, sticker, button/housing - polished up
IMG_0033.JPGIMG_0033.JPG

#30 8 years ago

Genie makes a great tournament game. It's our pin of choice for 4 player action

8 months later
#31 7 years ago

Just picked one up this past weekend but it is missing the lockdown bar (saw one on eBay but have not bid yet) and legs. Second game in a row I have bought now missing legs (what do people do with them?) So question of the day - what length legs does it take?

Will agree - game is a beast to move.

2 months later
#32 7 years ago

Bringing my old girl back to life.

Could someone help me with a few pics of the flipper mech wiring.

Also I'm struggling to work out what Flipper Cabinet Switches I should have???

1 week later
#33 7 years ago

Any advice re playfield angle for Genie?

Also any custom cards floating around?

Cheers
SCOTTO

7 months later
#34 6 years ago

Grabbed one locally, which I plan on putting in some time and elbow grease in, to bring her back to life and to start being enjoyed again!

The game is in good condition (will clean up nice and make somebody very happy when done. The cabinet is nice (no major fades or paint loss...typically handful of small nicks and scuffs expected for pre-cleanup. The backglass is nearly perfect, except for the typical Gotlieb issue that the blue tint over the displays is "meh"....but I will put in the new films that are available. The playfield only has ONE wear mark (top arch of the PF where the ball comes out of the shooter lane, before it drops into a lane below)- not a huge issue, especially since it is so high up on the playfield rather than something you stare at during gameplay lower on the PF).

Biggest issue is that the game is missing the power supply board, which is $89 plus s/h...so I will call it $100 in hand. All of the other boards are there, and look to be "okay", no burns or hacks, but I don't have a way of testing, as the Close Encounters I will be selling has the Pascal board already (original board long since sold), and there is not a way to use the Pascal board as just a power supply board to allow me to test the other boards (asked Pascal directly).

Like the other games I pick up to fix up and get back in to the world to be enjoyed again, I will give it a nice cleaning/scrubbing, new rubbers, LEDs (typically a frosted white-tastefully added, and not too bright you need sunglasses to play), and whatever misc parts it will need along the way.

My question is (keeping in mind I will be selling when done), should I:

1) go with the $100 (lower) investment and hope the other boards are okay, as once I invest in just the power supply, it would make more financial sense to stay the course, and deal with the individual boards. To me, if any of the other boards don't work, it wouldn't make much sense to then add the Pascal in to the equation, as I already have the $100 power supply money tied up in to the game.

2) go for the $350(ish) Pascal all-in-one board (larger) investment, immediately, and know all of the "boards" are now not going to have any issues. Also knowing that the Pascal will likely be a selling point to many potential buyers, as it is a really good board, bullet proofs many of the system's issues, and is able to add MANY desired features to the game (such as lane change, ball time, attract modes, etc).
PRO for option #2: imagine I may even be able to sell the other boards and recoup some of the money invested, but without having a way to test the boards, I know they would fetch less as an "as is" deal, and I wouldn't feel comfortable not listing them with the warning of possible issues since they are not tested.

I have been trying to figure out which way to go, and have talked myself in to both options several times, only to convince myself to go the other way soon after making my mind up for one of the options....lol.

I'm really on the fence on which way to go, and figured, rather than leaving it up to a literal coin flip, I would ask which way you guys think is the best way to go.

Thanks in advance!
--ed

#35 6 years ago

I've made the choice that same choice a couple of times and always just went for the all-in-one board and glad I did, they are awesome and eliminate a lot of potential failure points and you know everything works. If you had a way to test your other boards to make sure they worked ok it may be a different answer, but I'd still probably go for the known.

Congrats on the pickup.

#36 6 years ago

I'd just get the all in one, then sell your other boards "as is - untested" to recoup some cash.

Your time is worth more than the headache of dicking around with alkali damaged Gotlieb boards.

(although if you do decide to try and fix an alkali holocaust, this is required reading: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stripping-battery-corrosion-with-a-strong-acid )

#37 6 years ago

Did it both ways one just the mpu and one all in one board. If all other boards are good and brought up to snuff then just go mpu only if you need more boards just go all in one . vid1900 is right you can sell the other boards. Would love to do the board swap on black hole and add 7 digit scoring but it works fine so it stays stock.

1 week later
#38 6 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

The backglass is nearly perfect, except for the typical Gotlieb issue that the blue tint over the displays is "meh"....but I will put in the new films that are available.
--ed

Where are these available--Pinball Resource?

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Where are these available--Pinball Resource?

I got mine via pinballswag. They were reasonably priced, came fast, were easy to instal, and look amazing!
Here is the link: http://pinballswag.com/product.php?productid=2&cat=7&page=1
Here before, during, and after install images:

IMG_0628 (resized).JPGIMG_0628 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#40 6 years ago

I just picked a Genie up and in for some serious restoration time. It is missing the driver board, so after some reading it sure seems to make sense to get a Pascal all in one.

I have a few simple questions that I am wondering about:
1. What bulbs do most people go with (not looking at LEDs though)?
2. I was doing some searching for flipped rebuild kits, but haven't seen any with 3 or 5 flippers included in the kit. Or, is it better to just buy certain pieces instead of a kit?
3. Do people usually triple thick the back glass with the blue tinting on the score windows?

Any advice appreciated.

#41 6 years ago

Can you still buy the magic lattern flip target anywhere? Thanks.

#42 6 years ago

Pascal board works well in my Genie. Pinball Resource has everything you need for plastics, coils and rebuild kits.

#43 6 years ago

Got all my parts needed for my#genie form Steve at the pinball resource. Flipper parts, new lamp spinner,drop targets,rubber kit book etc

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

Pascal board works well in my Genie. Pinball Resource has everything you need for plastics, coils and rebuild kits.

Thanks, don't see any Genie parts on the website. Sent an email. Be nice to have a better spinner.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks, don't see any Genie parts on the website. Sent an email. Be nice to have a better spinner.

Better call that guy, he's not that responsive to e-mails. Make sure to remember the customer number he gives you. He can make new drop targets, schematics and coils. He has all the parts for Gottlieb EMs and early Gottlieb and Stern SS.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

They don't have the spinner right now. There is a demand, so eventually they will make one. I'm waiting on it too.

1 week later
#47 6 years ago

Where can I get new target faces like the circular purple with stars or red/white/blue? I didn't see any on PbResource. Mine are all grayed from the sands of time.

#48 6 years ago

I'm pretty sure pbresource has them, finding stuff on their site is kind of a pain. http://pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm that page about 1/3 of the way down for the purple with stars, item A-14395

#49 6 years ago

I see it. The red/white/blue is there too, but the picture of it is washed out so it didn't stand out as I was scrolling through the page.

#50 6 years ago

Hello to all!

So on my "bringing back to life" Genie everything it was going good until I got an odd error, maybe any of you guys can pitch in with a suggestion. I'm running the all in one Pascal board (PI-1/X4); at start up, it will display an error on the out hole switch which is reflected when I will drain ball 1, the machine will not "move" to ball 2, I checked the gap of the switch blades and they seemed fine, same error, unscrewed the switch from the playfield, same error. I cut one wire from the switch and got the same error, huh?

Any ideas?

Lastly, I noticed that this board will not play the attract music every 6 (or so) minutes, am I correct?

Thanks to all!

~jose

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 296 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genie-owners-club?hl=uncle_jose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.