pinside.c79c03348816a87c745005fe5cf0d6c84b9a24d0 (resized).jpg
20231107_210531 (resized).jpg
received_1375103876409308 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3668 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3667 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3658 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3659 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3584 (resized).jpeg
There are 296 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from uncle_jose:

Hello to all!
So on my "bringing back to life" Genie everything it was ...

Problem resolved! I have to re-pin Pin Number 1 on the A1J7 connector, voilá! happy Genie now!

~ja

7 months later
#52 6 years ago

Joined the club yesterday. Picked up a beatiful lookig Genie with an amazig playfield. Great condition. Will post pics later.

#53 6 years ago

Here she is...

20180312_194006 (resized).jpg20180312_194006 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#54 6 years ago

Shopping a Genie that I picked up. I’m assuming the left ball guide in the picture isn’t correct - can someone confirm what it’s supposed to look like?

EEBC35C5-B1B7-4267-B5D4-9613422CFD6B (resized).jpegEEBC35C5-B1B7-4267-B5D4-9613422CFD6B (resized).jpeg

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from VegasMike:

Shopping a Genie that I picked up. I’m assuming the left ball guide in the picture isn’t correct - can someone confirm what it’s supposed to look like?

It is supposed to roll down smoothky along the plastic below it. look at my picture. I think the previous owner bent it to make it go in the sling so it does not go down the in/outlane of death.

#56 6 years ago

So this is where vid put his rebuilding tips before pinside...

1948C09D-EA31-4E2E-8AA2-DBA4EC1759D8 (resized).jpeg1948C09D-EA31-4E2E-8AA2-DBA4EC1759D8 (resized).jpeg

#57 6 years ago

HI all I am new to working on games and I am new to owning a Sys 1 Genie. I am having 2 main problems. So first off when I turn the game on sometimes it does not fully turn on and then after a few off and ons it will fully come on. My second and most frustrating problem is my damn drop targets. When I have the 2A fuse under the playfield in, The drops will not come up, sometimes the front 4 will but then the fuse blows. If I manually put them up and turn the game on then knock them down, the score perfectly but will not come back up. Now I do not know how bad of an idea this was but I was told that SOMETIMES you can put a 2.5A or even a 3A. I put a 2.5A in and all the drops came up and the back ones worked almost perfectly but the front 4 were locked up so the coil was locked I am assuming. Any help would be fantastic and thanks in advance. By the way I suck at reading the switch matrix, since I am relatively new but have been doing a ton of research and watch videos etc. These are pretty much the only 2 things I have left to have the game working 100% (I did do the ground mods on all 3 boards)

I think I have figured out the drop target problem but wont know until I get my Marco order in. so I am really looking to figure out the inconsistent power up.

1 week later
#58 6 years ago

Can someone with a fully working genie please post a photo of their A1-J6 card connector I think I am having a problem with it since it looks pretty hacked.

#59 6 years ago

PhillyBilly does this help?

4334F08D-1782-4E2D-845A-46B0C1912B95 (resized).jpeg4334F08D-1782-4E2D-845A-46B0C1912B95 (resized).jpeg

F1EE10BB-262F-4704-AE84-88C32B92E3AE (resized).jpegF1EE10BB-262F-4704-AE84-88C32B92E3AE (resized).jpeg

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from TheBrewhouse:

phillybilly does this help?

Yes thanks but it turns out it’s not my problem. I can’t figure it out. My drops don’t work and and my 2A Fuse blows every game. Sometimes the back drops work but once and that’s it. I’m now thinking it’s either the CPU or the 4 drop bank coil. If that could is bad enough to blow the fuse would it stop the 2 7 drop bank coils from working?!

3 weeks later
#61 5 years ago

I am now the proud owner of "Genie Girl".
Purchased new in 1979 for the St Joseph's Children's Home in Louisville where it was played and enjoyed buy the children for 15 years until one day the flippers quit working. It was then that the maintenance man took it home to his wife Jean whom he called "Jeannie Girl". His intention was to fix it. Jean, being a Christian woman did not care to look at the back glass cuz of the boobies, so they covered it up and it' sat ever since. After he passed away, Jeannie's niece talked her into selling some things to help make ends meet and this is one of the things she parted with. I am honored to own it.

Flipper fix was a loose solder joint on upper right flip coil diode causing machine to shut off when the R flipper button was pressed.
Unfortunately the (apparently notorious) PROM chip is bad in the sound board...No sound and VR/Prom chip get really hot. I get 5 volts out of the VR so Im assuming its the Prom. Have not ordered the replacement board yet.
Im considering installing a PF protector when I strip it down for cleaning, as the PF is in beautiful shape, inserts not cupped or loose. However I will prolly just keep it clean/waxed/original.
Any opinions on PF protectors?
I have one machine (Comet) that has one and it seems to play just fine, Im just not sure about them however, concerns are if they discolor, fade, start to peel up, removal could damage existing finish...

#62 5 years ago

I have a pf protector on my Genie. It really works for me, as I had to do some playfield touchups and the pf protector ensures my work doesn't wear off.

The Good:
- protects playfield and makes any raised inserts, etc. smooth (doesn't sound like a concern for you)
- plays well and easy to wax
- looks like a newly clearcoated playfield

The Bad:
- dirt does get underneat at the edges and you have to work to vacuum out the little particles every so often
- you have to remove the pop bumpers to install (wasn't a big deal for me as mine was really dirty and was an opportunity to rebuild/clean), flippers as well
- the 3 rollovers in the upper playfield, the ball will "skip/bounce" when it rolls over them. They still register, but is noticable
- sometimes ball gets stuck in the 2 rollovers in the inlanes. A small nudge will get them going

In your case with a nice playfield, I would just keep it clean and waxed. Home use you will never get enough wear to harm it if you take care of it.

Just my 2 cents.

Quoted from Heaterguy:

I am now the proud owner of "Genie Girl".
Purchased new in 1979 for the St Joseph's Children's Home in Louisville where it was played and enjoyed buy the children for 15 years until one day the flippers quit working. It was then that the maintenance man took it home to his wife Jean whom he called "Jeannie Girl". His intention was to fix it. Jean, being a Christian woman did not care to look at the back glass cuz of the boobies, so they covered it up and it' sat ever since. After he passed away, Jeannie's niece talked her into selling some things to help make ends meet and this is one of the things she parted with. I am honored to own it.
Flipper fix was a loose solder joint on upper right flip coil diode causing machine to shut off when the R flipper button was pressed.
Unfortunately the (apparently notorious) PROM chip is bad in the sound board...No sound and VR/Prom chip get really hot. I get 5 volts out of the VR so Im assuming its the Prom. Have not ordered the replacement board yet.
Im considering installing a PF protector when I strip it down for cleaning, as the PF is in beautiful shape, inserts not cupped or loose. However I will prolly just keep it clean/waxed/original.
Any opinions on PF protectors?
I have one machine (Comet) that has one and it seems to play just fine, Im just not sure about them however, concerns are if they discolor, fade, start to peel up, removal could damage existing finish...

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

I have a pf protector on my Genie. It really works for me, as I had to do some playfield touchups and the pf protector ensures my work doesn't wear off.
The Good:
- protects playfield and makes any raised inserts, etc. smooth (doesn't sound like a concern for you)
- plays well and easy to wax
- looks like a newly clearcoated playfield
The Bad:
- dirt does get underneat at the edges and you have to work to vacuum out the little particles every so often
- you have to remove the pop bumpers to install (wasn't a big deal for me as mine was really dirty and was an opportunity to rebuild/clean), flippers as well
- the 3 rollovers in the upper playfield, the ball will "skip/bounce" when it rolls over them. They still register, but is noticable
- sometimes ball gets stuck in the 2 rollovers in the inlanes. A small nudge will get them going
In your case with a nice playfield, I would just keep it clean and waxed. Home use you will never get enough wear to harm it if you take care of it.
Just my 2 cents.

where did you get it from? I am interested in one for mine.

#64 5 years ago

The German company: https://www.playfield-protectors.com

Quoted from Murphelman:

where did you get it from? I am interested in one for mine.

2 weeks later
#65 5 years ago

Hello to all!

I have a Genie that just developed an odd problem, this Genie -was- working fine but now it will score randomly (hitting targets and nothing happens) sometimes the outhole will "detect" a ball, sometimes not, the same behavior will be with the upper kick-hole, funny thing is that after 2 games some targets will start working but not all. This Genie has the all-in-board PI-1x4.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

~ja

2 months later
#66 5 years ago

I was reading about a Genie in an Ottawa arcade that replaced all the flippers with newer fliptronic type flippers. Anyone else ever see or do this? Would it be worth it to speed the game play up?

https://ottawapinballarcade.ca/pinball-games/

1 week later
#67 5 years ago

I joined the club a few months ago with this restored beauty!!!

20180823_182825 (resized).jpg20180823_182825 (resized).jpg
#68 5 years ago

My Genie has 1 bad display, are the originals unobtainium?

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I bought one from here: https://ksarcade.net/gottlieb-system-1-and-system-80-6-digit-display-a4.html

They also come up on ebay quite often....

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I've got several extras if you need one. They would be $35 each place $7 s/h

Mike V

#71 5 years ago

Just wanted to give a heads up to fellow Genie owners Pinball resource now sells new playfeild plastics for you who need new ones or just need to hand over more of your hard earned money to Steve. http://pbresource.com/plastic/gtb-c19183+.jpg Was on the pbr page looking for something else and have found yet something else to add to my list.

2 months later
#72 5 years ago

have a Genie foe sale:

Machine - For Sale
Genie Archived
Fully shopped/refurbished - “Genie nice overall condition new playfield glass (thanks to Ivan). New rubbers, new PI-1 mpu, new mpu to driver board connector cable,. Plastics all nice, play field shows ball wea...”
2019-01-12
Morrisville, PA
1,650 (OBO)
Archived after: 9 days
Viewed: 901 times

#73 5 years ago

Ah, a club that we want to join one day. What a fun game Genie is.

#74 5 years ago

Picked one up today, does anyone know where to get those arch decals? Mine needs one baaad.

Anyone replaced the spinner with a metal one?

1 week later
#75 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Picked one up today, does anyone know where to get those arch decals? Mine needs one baaad.
Anyone replaced the spinner with a metal one?

You are in luck, I still had the email from when I ordered my arch decal last year from the guy who had them. His name is Dave, he is also on pinside as “dschulpius”. He is a really nice guy, the price is reasonable, and the decal/artwork is amazing!

His email: [email protected]

Link to his pinside page: https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/dschulpius

#76 5 years ago

Bad news about arch decal. I emailed the guy who had them, just to let him know I was posting his info, as you were looking for who had them.
Unfortunately, he just wrote me back that he is currently out of them.

4 weeks later
#77 5 years ago

Anyone had problems with the little plastic guide behind the upper right flipper? (near the right outlane). No matter how I install mine, it rubs against the flipper rubber and makes the flipper stick...

1 month later
#78 5 years ago

I just bought a Genie yesterday! What a fantastic game and its really cool to find other likeminded "Pin-Ballers" on Pinside who feel the same! where is the best place to buy LEDs for the backbox? and what LEDs are recommended?

thanks

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from D8n-flipped:

I just bought a Genie yesterday! What a fantastic game and its really cool to find other likeminded "Pin-Ballers" on Pinside who feel the same! where is the best place to buy LEDs for the backbox? and what LEDs are recommended?
thanks

I just converted mine from 44s to comet 2smd warm, and sadly I've got to say that it looses a bit of the game's charm. Genie is so yellow, with incandescents it gives a really nice glow. Warm Leds just aren't quite the same, even if they're brighter, they're 'colder' as well. I'd have switched mine back but it's going on location where it'll be on all day

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I just converted mine from 44s to comet 2smd warm, and sadly I've got to say that it looses a bit of the game's charm. Genie is so yellow, with incandescents it gives a really nice glow. Warm Leds just aren't quite the same, even if they're brighter, they're 'colder' as well. I'd have switched mine back but it's going on location where it'll be on all day

Zacaj, did you put the 2smd in the backbox or the playfield?
I read on here that if you LED the playfield it would cut down on the backbox glare.

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from D8n-flipped:

Zacaj, did you put the 2smd in the backbox or the playfield?
I read on here that if you LED the playfield it would cut down on the backbox glare.

Both.

2 weeks later
#82 5 years ago

Just restored. One more Genie is back online. It will be at PATZ in just over a month

20190315_215514 (resized).jpg20190315_215514 (resized).jpg20190315_215629 (resized).jpg20190315_215629 (resized).jpg
#83 5 years ago

Very nice, looks great.

Quoted from Underspin:

Just restored. One more Genie is back online. It will be at PATZ in just over a month
[quoted image][quoted image]

4 weeks later
#84 5 years ago

Just got this bad boy (er, girl) this week. Clear coated and playfield in really great shape. Replaced the rubbers, rebuilt all the flippers, fixed some switch gaps and boom, plays like a dream.

I swapped in LEDs that weren't overpowering but were bright and livened up the game. I did get creative with the bonus tree and did a cool to hot transition using carefully selected white/yellow/amber/red LEDs (that last 9,000 is a deeper red, the camera just caught it mid on).

My first early solid state. Fun and challenging!

IMG_20190418_194548 (resized).jpgIMG_20190418_194548 (resized).jpg
#85 5 years ago

Very nice, enjoy!

Quoted from mrgregb123:

Just got this bad boy (er, girl) this week. Clear coated and playfield in really great shape. Replaced the rubbers, rebuilt all the flippers, fixed some switch gaps and boom, plays like a dream.

#86 5 years ago

Anyone else notice that the Pascal sound board has different Genie sounds than the original? I had to get one because the old sound board died. The sounds are Genie-ish but way less annoying than the sounds I hear in any Genie video on YouTube. I double checked that the dipswitches are in fact set for Genie. Weird that I can't find any mention of this anywhere online, even on Pasca'ls site.

#87 4 years ago

Not sure what you mean, my sounds with the Pascal board are the same as the original. What video are you listening to? I watched the Papa video and the sounds are the same.

Quoted from mrgregb123:

Anyone else notice that the Pascal sound board has different Genie sounds than the original? I had to get one because the old sound board died. The sounds are Genie-ish but way less annoying than the sounds I hear in any Genie video on YouTube. I double checked that the dipswitches are in fact set for Genie. Weird that I can't find any mention of this anywhere online, even on Pasca'ls site.

#88 4 years ago

So.....turns out that the Pascal dipswitch settings on the board are wrong. It says to set the first and last ones to ON for Genie....which is what I did. Turns out that's for Hulk....yet the sounds are actually more enjoyable than the normal Genie sounds are. I'm going to keep it on for now. I played around and 'found' Genie but I've always hated the sound in that game so it's cool to be able to pick which sounds you want. LOL

#89 4 years ago

I just installed the Pascal all-in-one board. Turn Genie on and it still will not boot into a game. Am i missing something?

#90 4 years ago

The sounds for Genie bring back great memories! Love em!!

1 week later
#91 4 years ago

Just joined the club a bit earlier today- I bought it because I love the art. Its a gorgeous game.

My playfield is very nice (has the wear at the top rollovers), but was wondering if this game has had a repro playfield done for it or if anyone knows of an NOS that's available?

Thank you!

1 month later
#92 4 years ago

I got my Genie a couple of months ago and love it. It has the usual ware at the top arch and I need to find the 25 cent plates for the coin door. I also have been looking for custom rule cards. Very surprised there are not any available. Has any other owners "lit" up the flipper buttons?

IMG_6319.JPGIMG_6319.JPGIMG_6320.JPGIMG_6320.JPGIMG_6321.JPGIMG_6321.JPG
#93 4 years ago

I too would be interested if there are any custom Genie cards out there.

Quoted from D8n-flipped:

I got my Genie a couple of months ago and love it. It has the usual ware at the top arch and I need to find the 25 cent plates for the coin door. I also have been looking for custom rule cards. Very surprised there are not any available. Has any other owners "lit" up the flipper buttons?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

1 month later
#94 4 years ago

Just joining your club guys and with a question. My first older machine and it does have the Pascal 1-1 in it. Attract sound is driving me crazy and can't find the switch setting to turn it off.
I have the 'wizard' enabled but with a couple switches set different, 5 ball play, ball save turned off etc.

Also have a prob with the left flippers sticking but i'll wait a while to play with that one as i'm newish to pinballs and haven't tackled a problem like that before.

Bought both these machines to act as bookends for a Sorcerer if i can ever find one....
pinballgenie1 (resized).jpgpinballgenie1 (resized).jpgpinballgenie3 (resized).jpgpinballgenie3 (resized).jpgpinballlw11 (resized).jpgpinballlw11 (resized).jpgpinballlw12 (resized).jpgpinballlw12 (resized).jpg

I'd love to add Paragon and Swords of Fury to the lineup too. The art on these machines is the absolute best.

#95 4 years ago

Picking mine up at 10:00 tomorrow.....going beside my other "grail game" Flash Gordon.

1 month later
#96 4 years ago

Hey fellas, I’m looking for a decent Genie playfield , anyone know of one I can get?
Thank you!

1 week later
#97 4 years ago

Hi all. I have a question about the basic game play. Is the machine supposed to make a sound for every type of point made? Aka. Rollover, spinner, standup target, etc. Reason I ask, mine does not. On my other pins, a sound or chime is applied when something is hit. This seems odd. It has a ni-wumpf board.
Thanks,
Scott

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

Hi all. I have a question about the basic game play. Is the machine supposed to make a sound for every type of point made? Aka. Rollover, spinner, standup target, etc. Reason I ask, mine does not. On my other pins, a sound or chime is applied when something is hit. This seems odd. It has a ni-wumpf board.
Thanks,
Scott

The driver board still has the 10, 100, 1000 pt chime outputs, and those are what control the sound board. Every point scored should trigger one of those three outputs and create a sound.

Is it a specific switch or score amount that doesn't make a sound? Or just intermittent?

#99 4 years ago

So there is an issue with the driver board?

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

So there is an issue with the driver board?

Could be. Or sound board. Or mpu. Or connectors between any of those

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

There are 296 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genie-owners-club/page/2?hl=electronmagic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.