B683CAEC-F375-42EC-9184-CD01FD594794 (resized).jpeg
30BDE8B1-B4B1-4626-A4E3-D90CE317FB68 (resized).jpeg
BA02F878-9D0A-4719-84BD-DDB2EBEC3352 (resized).jpeg
82ABF1D5-5BFC-43AF-B2E2-EE9BBA356384 (resized).jpeg
wiring4 (resized).jpg
wiring1 (resized).jpg
wiring3 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hi. I bought a non-working Genie a while back. Now it is working well apart from the multiplayer and credit functions. I just allows one credit, and only one player. I assume that as with Bally I should be able to achieve two, three or four player mode by pressing the credit button two-four times? (I'm new to Gottlieb). I have done the earth mods and the slam/tilt bypass on the MPU. Its an original MPU but looks free of any damage. Any thoughts anyone? -Thanks.

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from realuncas:

I assume that as with Bally I should be able to achieve two, three or four player mode by pressing the credit button two-four times?

Yes, when you add credits, you can add players.

Alternatively, there is a small modification you can make in order to enable free play: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Gottlieb_System_1#Setting_up_a_Game_for_Free_Play

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes, when you add credits, you can add players.
Alternatively, there is a small modification you can make in order to enable free play: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Gottlieb_System_1#Setting_up_a_Game_for_Free_Play

Thanks for posting this. I am looking for a genie and this mod will be the 1st. Thanks

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from PinBallPeteFromSD:

Thanks for posting this. I am looking for a genie and this mod will be the 1st. Thanks

Also, FWIW, the mod does not have to be done on the diode strip. The exact same two wires can also be jumpered on the coin door. Why? A small toggle switch can be mounted on the inside of the door so you can enable & disable this mod as desired.

Also, you can pick any of the coin chutes but it must be a coin chute where one coin drop equals one credit. Note: if you have any coin chutes configured for multiple coin drops, then you would need to press the start button multiple times to engage free play.

#5 1 year ago

I do this same trick with arcades, alligator clips. It saves a ton of time. I like this method, its nice and clean looking.

#6 1 year ago

Thank you for these replys. The plot thickens as I now realise that the White Test button seems to start games, but as before with just the one credit. (I am unable to run the test procedure) I am assuming that someone before me has done a hack to make this happen? So at present I can start games by using either coin switch and then credit button, or just by pressing the Test switch. In all cases I can only get one credit. I will add photos and hope someone might be able to advise. Ideally I will have the game running as normal, and have the test button running tests. I will likely do the mod on the bottom diode strip but first I would like to get it running normally via the coin mechanisms, and with the credit button adding credits for multiplayer games. Maybe someone might look at the photos and advise if the wiring is regular or evidencing some sort of hack? Thanks in advance.

wiring1 (resized).jpgwiring1 (resized).jpgwiring3 (resized).jpgwiring3 (resized).jpgwiring4 (resized).jpgwiring4 (resized).jpg
#7 1 year ago
Quoted from realuncas:

I will likely do the mod on the bottom diode strip but first I would like to get it running normally via the coin mechanisms, and with the credit button adding credits for multiplayer games.

It makes no difference where you do the mod. Literally the same two wires at the diode strip are coming from the coin door. The mod recommends the diode strip location simply because it makes everything easy to find and access. I only did mine on the door because I wanted a hidden switch there for "mod/no-mod".

Can you see the arm that is triggered by a coin? If you manually flip that arm, are credits added to the machine? If so, you've found the switch (and two wires) for the coin chute. When you drop ONE coin, is ONE credit added to the machine? If so, then this chute will work.

On your credit button, you can see its two wires in your photo. FWIW, it does not appear to be modified.

Find the wires on the diode strip as per Pinwiki, and then you know the colors. Same wires on the coin door so they will have the same colors.

As per PinWiki:

(The wires will be located on the left of the diode strip - the non-banded side of the diodes.)

Credit button wire - Green-White or Brown-Yellow-Yellow

1st coin switch wire - Orange-White or Brown-Red-Red

2nd coin switch wire - Brown-White or Brown-Orange-Orange

Do you have schematics? If so, a good learning exercise would be to find these wires/locations on the electrical drawing.

#8 1 year ago

Thanks. I appreciate your taking the time to reply. Both coin switches work fine and can be triggered manually. Issue is that they wont facilitate any more than one game, no matter how many times triggered, and that the credit button on the front of the door does not enable any more than one player per game.
I wish my wire colours matched those stated on pinwiki but they dont, although I can work that part out OK. (I have seen my wire colourings on a Totem!)
It would mainly help me to know if the wiring to the White Test Switch looks regular, as on my game that switch doesn't function as a test switch but actually starts a game. (seems to have three wires attached - one from the front credit button switch and two that look like from each coin switches - is that how it should be wired?) Assuming the white test button shouldn't be able to start a game, I am wondering if the wiring has been modified and if that might account for the problem in not being able to register multiplayers, or play more than one game. If I can normalise the coin door wiring then at least that element of the chain can be eliminated as causing the fault. Hence right now I am not looking to mod the machine for free play, by any method, but rather get it set up as standard. Re the schematics, I do find the Gottlieb diagrams harder to read than Bally, and I struggle with them. I do have the Genie manual, but cannot find a schematic for the coin door in there, nor can I find anywhere a picture of a white test button with wiring to show me how it should be wired up as standard. It may well be that the issues with this machine are in the MPU board, but first I want to try eliminate the coin door wiring as a cause, as about everything else on the machine works OK. Again, thanks.

#9 1 year ago

Here are the wires on my Genie coin door.

30BDE8B1-B4B1-4626-A4E3-D90CE317FB68 (resized).jpeg30BDE8B1-B4B1-4626-A4E3-D90CE317FB68 (resized).jpeg82ABF1D5-5BFC-43AF-B2E2-EE9BBA356384 (resized).jpeg82ABF1D5-5BFC-43AF-B2E2-EE9BBA356384 (resized).jpegB683CAEC-F375-42EC-9184-CD01FD594794 (resized).jpegB683CAEC-F375-42EC-9184-CD01FD594794 (resized).jpegBA02F878-9D0A-4719-84BD-DDB2EBEC3352 (resized).jpegBA02F878-9D0A-4719-84BD-DDB2EBEC3352 (resized).jpeg
#10 1 year ago
Quoted from realuncas:

Both coin switches work fine and can be triggered manually. Issue is that they wont facilitate any more than one game, no matter how many times triggered, and that the credit button on the front of the door does not enable any more than one player per game.

Coin switches have nothing to do with multi-player mode. They just add credits.

The credit button on the outside of the door that is used to start a game: press it once, a game starts. Before shooting the ball, press it again and it will add a second player. Press it a third time and it will add a third player... etc.

Quoted from realuncas:

It would mainly help me to know if the wiring to the White Test Switch looks regular, as on my game that switch doesn't function as a test switch but actually starts a game. (seems to have three wires attached - one from the front credit button switch and two that look like from each coin switches - is that how it should be wired?)

Sounds ok to me... on my System 80 door schematic, one side of all door switches are common to each other (wired together). The other side goes through a diode board and into the MPU.

The only way to know if anything is wired correctly would be to look at the schematics and physically trace, or electrically trace, each one. It's difficult to troubleshoot via photos, especially if something was modified.

Here is a photo from Pinwiki of a System 1 test switch: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Gottlieb_System_1#/media/File:Gottlieb-sys1-coin-door-test-button.jpg

The Gottlieb schematics are pretty good overall with wiring color codes clearly marked. They're not perfect, but mostly with some inconsistent nomenclature, not mislabeled or incorrectly identified wires.

Quoted from realuncas:

Assuming the white test button shouldn't be able to start a game, I am wondering if the wiring has been modified and if that might account for the problem in not being able to register multiplayers, or play more than one game.

According to Pinwiki, it should not be starting a game.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Gottlieb_System_1#Accessing_Bookkeeping_and_Diagnostics

Unfortunately, you're going to have to get into this sooner or later. Study the Pinwiki section on System 1 and try to learn your schematics. Otherwise, start tracing the wires from the switches to see how/where they connect.

Try not to make assumptions about the wiring without enough evidence. If you assume "something is not working because it was modified" but the wiring contains no evidence of modification, you're going to be chasing your tail. On the other hand, if you see wiring that looks very different from the surrounding wiring, such as obvious poor workmanship on one connection, then maybe it's worth checking further to verify. In either case, you're going to need to refer to schematics for the verification.

#11 1 year ago

Thanks to you all for your advice. Seems like I'd best try first learn my stuff. Schematics! I'm an old dog, but maybe can learn new tricks if I take it slow.... something funny going on with that test button though.........

1 week later
#12 1 year ago

Just shooting from the hip here. Does Genie have the 21 pin connector that the batteries sit right above? Those are notorious for going bad.
How does the MPU look. I have yet to see a fully working one. The Rockwell chip is a week link.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Auburn, MA
Machine - For Sale
Pepperell, MA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.