(Topic ID: 55346)

Genie has constant loud buzz from start up

By Mayor

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mayor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

My Genie's lower drop targets were not resetting and after looking at the new ni wumpf driver board I could see one of the transistors was burned/blown. I had a friend put in a new transistor and instead of using the 13n10L he used an IRL530N because the pinball rehab.com site suggested it. The frustrating thing is that the drop targets now work and the game plays fine except for the constant loud buzz from start up and no chimes just a constant buzz. I've ordered a new driver board to try and eliminate that as a culprit but any ideas as to what might be going on and/or suggestions as to what to try. I pulled the j2 connector as I was told that drives the sound board but the buzzing is still there. I'm reading up on system 1's but its a lot of info and I'm quite the newbie on this, still feels like a second language to me.

#3 10 years ago

Speaker. It's buzzing like a bee.

#4 10 years ago

None of the other sounds from the game are happening either. The constant buzz is all that's happening

#6 10 years ago

Couldn't hear anything on that clip but I did find another 60 htz hum video and yes that certainly appears to be the sound except mine is much louder

#8 10 years ago

Would replacing the speaker help?

#9 10 years ago

I found this on a recent pinside forum, matched my symptoms so I'll give it a whirl, thanks for the help

" I had a Sys1 sound card with a very loud buzzing noise that was caused by the large C6 capacitor on the board. I didn't get any tones at all out of it until I replaced that cap."

#13 10 years ago

Only loud hum, no game sounds. Does replacing the caps require soldering? if so it's ask a friend a fovor time again.

#16 10 years ago

I just bought a dmm which will arrive soon so I think thats the device to measure voltage on the sound PCB. The sound did work when I got it, then a transistor fried on the driver board and the drop targets stopped working, the transistor was replaced and when the driver board was put back in the buzzing started immediately but the drop targets now work. I've disconnected the sound board for the moment so I can still play and will test and tinker this weekend with the help of some friends and beer and grill items as bribes for assistance.
'

#18 10 years ago

Problem identified and temporary fix in place. The guy who sold it to me was in the area and stopped by and identified the potentiometer as the issue. When you turn it down their is no buzz. The volume is pretty low and I'll need to get the pot replaced but at least I know what it is now. Thanks for all the help, it's certainly a learning experience

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 7.50
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
Unisex
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Maine Home Recreation
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mayor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genie-has-constant-loud-buzz-from-start-up?tu=mayor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.