(Topic ID: 144884)

Genie game trough switch not registering? Please help !

By toasterman04

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hey everyone, so I turn my genie on and the game turns on and goes into attract mode but I cannot start a game. After trying things it seems all coin door operations aren't working... I can not add credits, the start button doesn't work... And I cannot access the test functions. Has anyone heard of this happening... I checked all the connectors and everything seems good there.... I am stumped ....

#2 8 years ago

Sounds like a bad pin on the mpu connector to me. The coin door connector is right by where the battery was on the original board, if it ever corroded it likely started messing up that connector. Even if you repinned it the corrosion may have came back if it was inside the wire.

Do you have the original board or a replacement?

#3 8 years ago

Connectors are your first stop, like LyonsRonnie noted.
Testing continuity from the solder tabs of the credit button to the next stop in the switch matrix is next.
I've seen the 1N270 switch diodes on the bottom board fail open too.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#4 8 years ago

Awesome thanks guys... I will look into it after work tonight. Thanks for the reply !!

#5 8 years ago

Do also check the connector from the power supply to the MPU. Our Solar Ride had a similar issue. Would do the whole 5 second reset, and wouldn't respond to the coin door. Turned out the 5V connector pin wasn't making contact any more.

#6 8 years ago

Ya thanks I just found your thread and man what a help... I am definitely not as knowledgeable as you guys but I am not afraid to tackle it

3 weeks later
#7 8 years ago

Ok so time for some catchup .... I tried using used connectors and soldering them on.... But it turned out too painful so I placed an order with GPE and just received my package today .... Hooray!!! So first thing I did was replace the pins in the connector to the coin door and what do ya know... The game will know start.
Sadly there is a but..... I have no sound once the game starts, I have sound when I hit the credit button and can hit the test button on the sound board without fail... But when I am playing a game flippers and all switches work but no sound, and when the ball drains it doesn't register.... All I can think of is more connectors need to be changed.. But I don't know which one? Does anybody know?

3 weeks later
#8 8 years ago

I have a Ni-wumph system 1 CPU board installed in my gottlieb Genie. I had an issue a year ago where I was in the middle of a game and the game would reset and the next game had no sound. Later when I attempted to look into it the game would turn on and start up and play the attraction sound but I could not start a game with the credit button. I redid the pins on the harness pin connectors on both sides of the sound board and A1-J7 harness. This repair aloud me to start a game however no sound during game in play. I hit the reset button on the board (initialization) and the sounds during game play came back. HORRAY!! Now my only issue with the game is this; switch 3 ( I think is ball in trough switch) shows closed ( in the switch test) the only switch that is not functioning is the "ball in trough" switch. If a ball drains into the trough during game play the game does not recognize the ball in the trough and does not go to ball two. I have shorted the trough switch to see if it changes anything; and it doesn't. I have also disconnected the switch and did a switch test and the the test still showed switch three as closed.... Hitting the tilt will display tilt on the back glass and kill the flippers, but the game is still waiting for the switch in the trough to be initialized. I am very confused but cannot think of it being anything else other than a board issue. Does this sound correct? Is there a chip I could replace to check or confirm this?

7 months later
#9 7 years ago

solved it was the connector from the trough to the board. put new pins in the connector and good as new.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 7.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genie-game-will-not-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.