Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 88 days ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 88 days ago

Hello, I just picked up a Genie pinball machine that is in pretty fair working condition. There were no main issues until a day or so after I brought it home (isn't that always the way?) The main problem is with the flippers. At first the two main flippers were great in fact the left one seemed too powerful while the corresponding flippers up top are pretty weak. You have to catch the ball perfectly with a good push to provide the power to take down the targets. Then within a day of playing the bottom left flipper started a high speed fluttering and would cause the machine to shut down like a tilt if it was continually pressed. Fine for a day then it started. Every now and then it will be ok briefly then goes back to fluttering. I tried filing the contacts and looked at all the connections and still no luck. I know these assemblies should be rebuilt but is there anything I can try first to get it up and playing while I order parts. Also I have done a bit of searching and have come across Marco, Pinball Resource, K's Arcade.net as places to buy parts but was wondering if those are the best or if there are some other places to check out.

Hey we all are new to a forum sometime and this is my first machine. I have always wanted a Genie since the 80's. I hope I can get it playing somewhere close to the way it was then. I appreciate anyone's help and look forward to being a part of this forum. Thanks

#2 88 days ago
Quoted from Genieye:

flipper started a high speed fluttering

I'd reflow the solder on the wires to the coil lugs, and dig around the thin wires from the coil windings to the lugs for cracks or breaks.

LTG : )

#3 88 days ago

Could be a bad coil too, that often causes fluttering. Not much you can do without new parts beyond what ltg said. Make sure your eos switches are all opening properly.

Definitely rebuild them, and grab at least one spare coil. And don't forget the secondary switches on the lower flippers that control the mini flippers. My mini flippers were really weak until I replaced those, now they're nice and snappy.

#4 88 days ago

Genie is a good game. In general, when a flipper "chatters" (also called machine gunning) it's usually a bad flipper coil (broken wire inside the hold section of it). I replace a coil that chatters with a brand new one.

For all Gottlieb parts, you want to buy from Pinball Resource. Marco Specialties also carries Gottlieb parts, but at a higher price.

#5 88 days ago

Thanks for all the quick replies. Would a bad coil also cause the machine to quite the game and to return like Game Over? I was able to play without issue then the machine gunning started. I hope that is not a symptom of a bigger issue.

#6 88 days ago

I wanted to send a quick followup and thank you to all the helped me. I found an extra coil in the things the previous owner provided me, soldered in in place, and it works great!

#7 88 days ago
Quoted from Genieye:

Would a bad coil also cause the machine to quite the game and to return like Game Over?

As KenLayton posted, broken wire inside the coil definitely could cause a brief high power short and drain power down and go to game over, or reboot.

LTG : )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 289.00
€ 8.40
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Senoia, GA
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
$ 109.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 17.00
$ 2.50
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
$ 170.96
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Mods for your pinballs
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside