Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by zezami
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I have recently bought a gottlieb Genesis that I've restored but after a few minutes of playing the display and sound dissapears, the game continues to function though so it's not a complete halt of the mpu. If I turn the machine off and on again the display and sound is back for a about the same time before it dissapears again. Anyone have an idea what might be causing this? I initially had trouble with the mpu not booting at all and it turned out to be a failed RIOT for the display which I replaced.

#2 4 years ago

I would start with mandatory ground mods in the cabinet and head first. Done several 80B at this point and it is amazing how many problems ground mods solve. Display is a little troubling as not part of ground mods, check to make sure contacts on lower right MPU are clean.

#3 4 years ago

The EXACT same symptoms......took a guy [I don't do boardwork] about a minute to figure out the issue. Not home right now,so I cant take a pic, but the 4 wire connector right at the top centre of the backbox needed repinned bad. He plugged it back in and game worked
perfectly......

#4 4 years ago

Ground mod is done already, 5v capacitor and potentiometer replaced.

Haven't done any repinning yet so that might very well be the case..

#5 4 years ago

Did you verify you are actually getting 5v to the boards? I had a display not turn on from having a poor connection at the power supply as well, like the user above.

3 weeks later
#6 4 years ago

So I finally managed to solve this issue. I noticed that the display and music went out when a coil fired. I didnt notice at first what coil it was but it turned out to be the left slingshot only, no other coils caused the display and sound to dissappear. Turns out the diode on the coil was loose in one end. i measured the diode and got an ok reading from it and resoldered it and the problem is now gone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genesis-system-80b-display-blank-and-sound-gone-after-a-while and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.