(Topic ID: 300099)

Genesis fixed but Genesis figure is always revealed.

By NickyVanHalen

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

system20 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Gottlieb Genesis Fixing for a friend, he has installed new mother board and power supply board and done some ground mods. When I first got machine it allowed me to play 11 or 12 games shutting down during 3 of them. The more it's played the faster it shuts down to the point you can't get through 1 ball. I'm an EM guy looking for any direction or help where to look next.

#3 2 years ago

You suggest repinning connectors? Or would you replace harnesses if available.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from NickyVanHalen:

You suggest repinning connectors?

Yes.

The wiring harness itself is probably fine. The connector pins can sometimes be worn out and dirty. Although, I found that to be more of a serious issue on system 1 gottlieb games than system 80 games. Still, it's worthwhile to do a visual inspection of the pins.

However, before you go through the trouble of repinning, what I always do is clean all the edge connectors on the boards. Rub all the edge connector pads with a pink rubber eraser to remove grime and tarnish. Others have suggested sandpaper or fiberglass erasers, but I always recommend the pink rubber eraser since that is the least destructive approach that also does a very good job with cleaning.

#5 2 years ago

Thank you. Sounds like good place to start. I ll try that tomorrow and see where that gets me. Appreciate the help.

#6 2 years ago

I would try and replace/rebuild the interconnect.... they are always jacked.

system20 (resized).jpgsystem20 (resized).jpg
#7 2 years ago

UPDATE found broken diode on coil, another coil had been replaced w coil w no diode (should have had 1) and a bridge rectifier w loose bad solder. Game is now working except the Genesis figure that should be revealed when u earn it is always revealed I get the light show and change of music. I'm sure the cannister? Should be covering it then rotate open to reveal. I can't get past memory in test mode (is this because of new board?) Not sure how to get that final part working.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genesis-shutting-down and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.