(Topic ID: 191136)

Genesis: New problem - Need Help Please !!!

By ThePostmaster

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Genesis is driving me nuts. I had Genesis working. Cleaned it all up, and played a few games. In the middle of a game, it just ended the game. Everything works like it should as far as attract mode and lights. None of my switches work, including the test switch.

I did the ground updates, which fixed my sound issues, but not the switch issue. Here is I have checked/done so far:

Checked all the fuses = good.

Good 5 VDC on all the boards.

Fuses F 9-F 12 have no power to them. F 13-F 15 have power. If I jump from F 13 to F 12, I can play a game as far as all the solenoids including the flippers work. The game stays in attract mode.

I have bypassed the test switch, and coin switches, but no luck.

Cleaned all edge connectors, no change.

Swapped U 4 and U 5 on the Main board (Switch matrix and Display chips ((same)), no change. The display still worked, but none of the switches.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

The Post Master

#2 6 years ago

Z11-Z14 are also known for going bad sometime referred to as switch matrix fuses.
My Bone Busters has an intermittent short somewhere in the switch matrix and every so often kills Z11 and the switches stop working.

#3 6 years ago

I did order some 7400's. Looks like I need to order some 7404's also.

Could it be Z15? That is the switch enable IC. I did order a couple of them, just in case. (7432's,)

Thanks for the input.

1 week later
#4 6 years ago

Well, I replaced Z14 and everything worked. I started to play one game, then things when stupid. During the first ball, it shut down everything, and went into test mode. Now, when I push the start button, it immediately goes into lamp test mode. I pulled the batteries, and left the machine unplugged for a day. Plug it back in, and it goes into lamp test when the start button is pressed. I pushed the reset button on the sound board, but it doesn't change a thing. One thing to note:

I checked all the dip switches. They are set the way I want. The strange thing is, I have it set for 1 credit per coin. When I played the first game, that is how the coin slots worked. Now they give 5 credits per coin, even though the dip switches are set to one.

Any input would be appreciated.

The Post Master

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genesis-no-switches-are-working-need-help-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.