(Topic ID: 179025)

Genesis - Update! Genesis is working!

By ThePostmaster

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ThePostmaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hello,
I picked up my Genesis on Tuesday, and finally got a chance to plug it in. Fixed a few issues, no display (broken wire off of fuse). Broken wire off of reset board to TC1 (+5 VDC). Slam switch out of adjustment.

Now to the issues at hand:

1. No sound. Connector J2 on the power supply board was loose, so I re-soldered it. It has a few burnt connectors in the jack. I plan on re-pinning and replacing the connector tomorrow. I wiggled it once, and sound appeared for a brief second. Hoping replacing the pins and connector fixes this. I checked the output voltage, and it was +5.52 VDC. Should I turn it down closer to 5 VDC?

2. Here's the annoying problem: None of the buttons work. I can't get into test mode. Button does nothing. The coin door has been pretty much stripped of usable parts. No coin mechs, no credit switches. I tried jumping the coin switch to get a credit on the game, no luck. I tried both coin slots.

It goes right into attract mode. The display scrolls info, high scores etc...

This is my first Gottlieb pinball machine. I've owned DE, Stern, and Williams in the past. Any help to get me in the right direction would be appreciated.

The Post Master

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for the help. I will start here, and post results.

#5 7 years ago

Lost my Molex crimper. I'll solder the pins on, until I can order a new crimper. I'll be out messing with it tonight. I'll post updates on what I find.

#6 7 years ago

Yahoo!!! It's working!!

I removed all the boards, and cleaned the contacts. I replaced the power supply connector, but not the pins. I just stretched them out. I'll replace them when I get my crimper next week. The sound still wasn't working. In my first post, I asked about the 5 VDC being a little high. I adjusted it to exactly 5 VDC under load, and the sound started working!

Now it's time to tear this thing apart and give it a good cleaning! Thanks ForceFlow for the tips. I didn't even think to clean the contacts. I will be bringing this to MGC!!

I forgot to mention, the battery was dead. I de-soldered it from the board. I'll have to put a remote battery holder in it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ThePostmaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genesis-no-sound-no-buttons-work?tu=ThePostmaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.