(Topic ID: 66095)

Genesis, My First Pin! Can't hear music/sounds?

By DarkHorse

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by kguenther6
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hey all, I was just hoping that maybe some fellow Genesis owners out there could help me out fix my sound/music problem. Haven't gotten extensive examination time with this machine yet, but it does work and needs work. I've noticed a few old rubber grommits inside that need replacing and probably just some tlc in general in the playfield to get it in good shape again. My question is how and where do I start troubleshooting the music and sound? I found the little volume pot to the left inside the coin door and turned it up and down which did produce some white noise feedback but no sign of any sound effects or music. She does look pretty old, I guess about 27 years? Anyways, some help in beginning to get this baby back into play shape would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Unplug and plug back in all connectors from speakers to back box, with power off. If your are getting some sound might just be a loose connection. May be worthwhile to try replacing the pot, the only cost about 4$ at ratshack.

#3 10 years ago

Congrats on the your first pin. I agree with Steve and start with the connectors. Also check out this link

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Sound_Boards

It has trouble shooting tips for your sound board.

Edit: check out this as well. Same page just further down.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Sound_problems

#4 10 years ago

Great! Can't wait to start working on this. I haven't brought her home yet. Its been sitting dormant collecting dust in my company's shop in the back. I've been eyeing it but finally had a chance to talk to the owner of the company and the machine about what its fate was. He said he had loose plans for it, but told me to make an offer. I asked him I didn't know what was fair. He said he paid 1200 for it (maybe at one of his charity auctions?) but he'd sell it to me for a special deal of 100 bucks. SWEET! Can't wait to bring it home, my 5 and 9 year old sons will flip and I am also very excited, I've always wanted one since my first bachelor pad had a "Hook" machine and I loved the all night four player drinking matches we'd have. I will probably continue to find issues that need work with the machine upon moving it home and am very happy to have found this pinball enthusiast site where I can find help in working on it since techs are very pricey. Should be a BLAST!

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkHorse:

but he'd sell it to me for a special deal of 100 bucks

Wow... good price. Not the best looking pin made but for the price you got a good deal. Take a look at the links I gave you. It would be a good idea to read through the whole document. It has a lot of good information. If you get stuck be sure to ask more questions. There are a lot of helpful people on this site.

#6 10 years ago

I'm working on a Rock right now with no sound. Press the red button on the sound board. If you hear something from those, then your set up (speakers, amp, etc.) is good. Somehow my amp connector was corroded so I had to hard wire I the amp up and was able to get test sounds from there. Next step would be to do this series of tests:

Testing the Data Pathway, Easy Method.

After the sound/speech board itself is tested (as described above), it's best to test the pathway from the CPU board to the Driver board to the Sound/Speech board. This will test the chips and connectors in this pathway. There is no sense changing chips if the connectors are at issue, or vice versa. And this test will identify these problems in a very easy manner.

Step 1: Test the Sound/Speech board. This is described above. If the sound/speech board is missing any sounds S1 to S16, stop now. Fix or replace the sound/speech board.

Step 2: At the driver board find chip Z13. Game on and in attract mode. Using an aligator test lead with one end connected to ground, touch the other end of the lead to Driver board chip Z13 pin 2 (s1), pin 4 (s2), pin 6 (s4), pin 7 (s8). A game sound should be heard for each sound S1 to S8. These are the output pins of Z13, so this tests the connection from the driver board to the sound/speech board. If any sound is missing, check the driver board A3J5 connector (upper left) pin 6 (s1), pin 5 (s2), pin 1 (s4), pin 7 (s8). If OK examine the sound board connector A6J1 pin 8 (s1), pin 9 (s2), pin 11 (s4), pin 12 (s8).

Step 3: At the driver board find chip Z13. Game on and in attract mode. Using an aligator test lead with one end connected to +5 volts (I use the POSITIVE lead of CPU board capacitor C1 next to connector A1J1), touch the other end of the lead to Driver board chip Z13 pin 1 (s1), pin 3 (s2), pin 5 (s4), pin 9 (s8). A game sound should be heard for each sound S1 to S8. These are the input pins of Z13, so this tests the chip Z13 on the driver board.

Step 4: (Does not work for Black Hole.) At the driver board find chip Z3. Game on and in attract mode. Using an alligator test lead with one end connected to ground, touch the other end of the lead to Driver board chip Z3 pin 7 (s16). A game sound should be heard for sound S16. This is the output pin of Z3, so this tests transistor Q10 (MPS-A13) and the connection from the driver board to the sound/speech board. If this sound is missing, replace Q10 and check the driver board A3J2 pin 9 connector (lower right). If OK examine the sound board connector A6J1 pin 2 (s16).

Step 5: At the CPU board find chip Z31. Game on and in attract mode. Using an aligator test lead with one end connected to +5 volts (I use the POSITIVE lead of CPU board capacitor C1 next to connector A1J1), touch the other end of the lead to CPU board chip Z31 pin 6 (s1), pin 3 (s2), pin 11 (s4), pin 8 (s8). A game sound should be heard for each sound S1 to S8. These are the output pins of Z31, so this tests the connection from the CPU board to the driver board. If any sound is missing, check the A1J4 to A3J1 connector.

Step 6: At the CPU board find chip Z31. Game on and in attract mode. Using an aligator test lead with one end connected to +5 volts (I use the POSITIVE lead of CPU board capacitor C1 next to connector A1J1), touch the other end of the lead to CPU board chip Z31 pins 4&5 (s1), pins 1&2 (s2), pins 12&13 (s4), pins 9&10 (s8). A game sound should be heard for each sound S1 to S8. These are the input pins of Z31, so this tests the chip Z31. Note you are touching the aligator test lead to *two* pins of the Z31 chip at the same time. This is an ADD chip, so for the output to trigger both chip legs must go high at the same time.

On my machine, I got very little response from these tests and tried replacing z31 and z13. Next step, I guess would be to repin the connectors. I found that I'm getting the "check sum error 7B3D" after the memory test in test mode so I'm going to try a new game ROM first (I mean, why not take the illogical path only to find out it was simply the connectors )

#7 10 years ago

100$ is a steal! There is a pretty sweet alternative translate based on the artwork from the old film metropolis floating around if you hate that art.

#8 10 years ago

Thanks Steve, I just really want to get it up and running for starters. Yeah, the other translite is nice. I'm not totally sure how I feel about the existing one, kind of horrid and kind of entertaining. I hate to say it to the poor guy, but its the midget that really causes all the hub-bub with everyone I would think.

#9 10 years ago

I had one

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56198463@N02/8371751769/

Never succeeded to lit the robot ..in fact the switch of varitarget was ko.
My friends, my wife hate the glass, hate the gameplay so i agree to sell for a low price (350 Euros)

I sold the machine Then i had some regrets...

But my friend Loos gave me definitelly his machine to repair.

In progress..waiting a MPU

Now i love it.

1 week later
#10 10 years ago

Genesis was my first pin. Yaers later, I still play it. Once you get it tuned up, it's a really great straight up pin. The back glass is sooo chessy, I love it! Best of luck with it.

#11 10 years ago

Ive gotten the sound and music working! Thanks everyone for the tips exclamation it was simply a loose connection so Please help exclamationed and reconnected all the connectors and it worked. Now I am working on cosmetic repairs, well played with the Machine a bit but now it seems that the balls will not reload after dropping during gameplay. I don't know if I messed something up moving a ball around or something, does anybody know how to fix this issue? Please help

#12 10 years ago

haha! I guess I forgot to say mark after exclamation while I was using Google Voice to dictate my post. Whoops. I hope everybody got the gist of what I was trying to say. The balls will not reload now when they drop during gameplay and I don't know what I've done to cause this. Does anybody have an idea for a fix? I don't know if maybe I did something out of sequence or if there is a circuit or fuse that is not working that would cause this to happen. Please help me fix it!

#13 10 years ago

Nice job on getting the sound working. Your ball problem sounds like your out hole switch isn't working. Put your pin the switch test mode and make sure that switch works. If not check the switch and make sure its adjusted properly. Also check the wires and make sure one didn't break off. Tug on the wires gently and make sure they are solidly connected.

#14 10 years ago

My son was playing the game when it suddenly didn't want to kick the ball up out of the return anymore.
Can you be more specific of how to troubleshoot this problem? I am so new, I've figured out some stuff about test mode but don't really understand much of what is going on

Quoted from kguenther6:Nice job on getting the sound working. Your ball problem sounds like your out hole switch isn't working. Put your pin the switch test mode and make sure that switch works. If not check the switch and make sure its adjusted properly. Also check the wires and make sure one didn't break off. Tug on the wires gently and make sure they are solidly connected.

#15 10 years ago

I don't have any System 80 games and don't know the menu system. But your manual should be able to tell you how to get to the test menus. In the test menus there should be a switch test. It will tell you what switches are closed. It will probably just show the switch numbers and you have to look in the manual to see what switch number your out hole is. When a ball goes into the out hole make sure the switch registers as closed in the switch test. If it doesn't then most likely it's not adjusted properly or one of the wires have come loose. Or it could be the switch is working fine and your coil isn't working. You can do the same type of thing and put it in coil test to test the kickout coil. If it doesn't work in the test then it probably has a loose wire. Your coil will be numbered similar to the switch and your manual will show which number is for your kickout coil.

Hopefully someone with a System 80 game can chime in and describe the menu system better. But it should all be in the manual on how to get into it.

#16 10 years ago

Thanks! Also, I replaced the bulbs under the ramps because they weren't lighting and they still aren't lighting up. Any ideas?

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkHorse:

Also, I replaced the bulbs under the ramps because they weren't lighting and they still aren't lighting up. Any ideas?

Give a little tug on the wires to the sockets and make sure they have a good connection. Inspect the socket and see if it looks corroded or look like its falling apart. Clean the inside of the socket. They make a socket cleaner that looks like a very long pencil eraser that you can pick up at any pinball parts place. Its worth the dollar or two as a lot of sockets just need a quick cleaning. If you don't have one take some fine grit sandpaper and put it on the end of a pensil and twist it around the inside of the socket to clean it. If it still doesn't work check to make sure you are getting voltage to the socket with a MM. If voltage is good then you need to replace the socket. If voltage isn't good then you have a break in the wire somewhere that you will need to trace back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genesis-my-first-pin-cant-hear-musicsounds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.