Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pic_2.jpg
Pic_1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Turkey_Robinson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

So I got my first pin this week! It's a 1986 Gottlieb Genesis. It's got some issues though. Thankfully nothing that affects the gameplay that crucially. There's probably going to be a slew of technical questions coming once i get the manual and I know exactly what I'm dealing with. So to start off slow I'll begin with this: The triangular see-through plastic on the pf that covers the robot underneath is warped. Nothing terrible but just enough that when the ball rolls over it, it affects the path of the ball. Please tell me there's an easy fix for this and that I don't have to try and figure out how to replace it. From my research online, there's not much Genesis stuff out there to buy other than internal components.

Thanks 1 million!

Turkey

#6 12 years ago

Thanks everybody for your replies! I did some more research right after posting my question and found some more really great tips. It seems the heating method is the most popular. Next time I post something (which will probably be real soon) I'll try and exhaust my internet search possibilities first.

Schusler- what do you mean by "steve young" has these? Is that an online parts store? I looked underneath and they are shot so I'll need some of those too. But the plastic is also bowed upwards as well. The wood directly around the plastic triangle is chipped too which creates an uneven ridge where the plastic meets the wood. I've read sanding it and then putting clearcoat on top and sanding again should even out the surface. Does that sound appropriate? I'll try the grommets first but I'd also like to fix the chipping too eventually. I take it you have a Genesis as well?

CrazyFliprFingrs - From what I've looked at, Genesis seems to be rather affordable machine. I got mine (my first pin!) for under $500. It's got it's share out things that need to be fixed but it everything that allows you to play it works. It's really fun too. My experience on older pins is limited but this one, while on the easier side, gets me swearing just like the new ones do. And it's got a midget on it. You can't go wrong there. My opinion, get one if you can. It's a fun little machine.

#11 12 years ago

Have any of you guys seen the This Old Pinball repair dvd's? If so, what did you think of them?
I've ordered the ones for the gottlieb 80b systems to help me fix up a few of the electrical issues I'm having. The issues I'm having that I really want to fix are:

1)The lights underneath the playfield (by the robot) don't work. Just the ones controlled by the auxillary. Also the ones on the backbox, which I assume are auxillary controlled as well.
2)The music cuts in and out.

Do you think those videos will help with that?

Other than the warped plastic insert and the lighly chipped wood around the plastic, which I'll attempt to fix after I get those grommets from steve young, (thanks a bunch Schusler!!!!) everything on my game is good to go. For now. I've had it a week now and I've already had to solder on a wire that came loose from one of the pop bumpers. Who knows what's going to crash in the next week. I'll keep my fingers crossed though.

Do you think those videos will help with that?

#13 12 years ago

Is there a way to post pictures on this thing? I'll snap a shot of what I think you're talking about. Do you think there's 1 transistor for the robot lights and 1 for the backbox set? There's 2 cream colored rectanglular pieces that are both not connected. The soldering broke off 1 and the other is just dangling by a wire. They say"cp-10 7950 4ohms 5% 10w" on them. Ever since we got it I knew those could potentially be a problem. I was hoping the manual was going to help clarify it but it doesn't seem to have anything in it that looks like this particular spot underneath the playfield. I took basic electronics in high school. That manual is far from my level of understanding

#15 12 years ago

That was down there the whole time too. I'm a dumb-dumb. Thanks Dewey!

#16 12 years ago

So here's what I think you're talking about. Am I right? Also, does anyone know what the brown, upside-down smile shaped thing is? That's what the ceramic pieces are attached to but it says nothing about it in the manual. At least from what I can decipher.

Pic_1.jpgPic_1.jpg pic_2.jpgpic_2.jpg

1 week later
#19 12 years ago

When I get new resistors do I need to match the tolerance levels with the ones that are currently on it? Schusler said that they are not stock resistors. The 2 smaller grey ones next to that are stock and have no tolerance levels written on the casing. The broken ceramic one on the left is 4ohm 10W 10% and the right (the one I'm holding in the picture above) is 4ohm 10W 5%.

My friend recommended I try Mouser.com and I'm on the page, I just don't know which ones to get. I didn't realize there would be so many to choose from. Does anybody feel like following the link and giving me any sort of help? I'll be your best friend?

I'm thinking the first ones on the list would work, but I have no idea.

http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Resistors/_/N-5g9n?P=1z0x70qZ1z0vnpi

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Turkey_Robinson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genesis-issues-the-first-of-many?tu=Turkey_Robinson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.