(26 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
El wire Genesis w light.jpg
Clown-Puke-LEDs.jpg
El wire Genesis.jpg

#1 9 years ago

Just playing around with my kid's EL wire. I got this idea from some kit I bought for my T2. Right now it's just temporarily loosely taped on. I'm thinking if I like it, I will drill small holes through the ramps and permanently tie wrap them on. Also, I will use black electrical tape to cover the bridge between ramps. I don't know if this is too cheesy looking to drill holes through rare ramps. Please let me know your opinions.
El wire Genesis.jpgEl wire Genesis.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Well, green is definitely not the right color. I know that much.

#3 9 years ago

Nice thats a fun game you may want to try blue might look better

#4 9 years ago

I think EL wire on the game looks good. I personally wouldn't have chosen green, for some reason the ramps lit up in green reminds me of the riddler. But still pretty cool mod. I personally would have went purple or red for the colour of the EL wire.

#5 9 years ago

Guys, I think he just used what was on hand as a proof of concept lol..

#6 9 years ago

Nice looking, but as mentioned, different color....

Also nice gesture of you, to take a pic without the translite showing.... thanks !!

#7 9 years ago

Yes, the green el wire is the only color I have in hand. I think purple would be best.

#8 9 years ago

Purple or blue, would like to see.

#9 9 years ago

i think it's a great idea.

if you could match the ramp color that'd look great.

#10 9 years ago

I agree, I think it looks cool, just not green.

#11 9 years ago

oh how I wish replacement ramps were around. clear ramp [to show all the awesome artwork under the ramps] with possibly purple or blue EL wire would be sweet.

#12 9 years ago

How can anything on Genesis be considered cheesy? You could literally slice cheese on the machine and it wouldn't be able to get anymore cheesy than it is bone stock

Of course it is still a great game, but man, I'd throw whatever mods you can at the game to make it look appealing haha

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

oh how I wish replacement ramps were around. clear ramp [to show all the awesome artwork under the ramps] with possibly purple or blue EL wire would be sweet.

A little birdy told me they were in the planning stages so hang tight folks.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

A little birdy told me they were in the planning stages so hang tight folks.

Is that a Vault Edition, or just the ramps

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

How can anything on Genesis be considered cheesy? You could literally slice cheese on the machine and it wouldn't be able to get anymore cheesy than it is bone stock

brilliant!

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Of course it is still a great game, but man, I'd throw whatever mods you can at the game to make it look appealing haha

Amen.

For some strange reason. I love this game. Haha. I've been waiting three years on these ramps. Clear ones, pink ones, whatever I just want some ramps.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Amen.
For some strange reason. I love this game...

exactly the same here.

everybody hates the translite, i like it, i like the black and with pictures, it's grotesque and funny at the same time.

i'd like to find a nice one.

#18 9 years ago

Riddle me this Batman!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The EL doesn't look horrible, but the colored GI's do. Way to dark.

#19 9 years ago

Clown-Puke-LEDs.jpgClown-Puke-LEDs.jpg

#20 9 years ago

I wonder how the EL would look underneath the ramps instead of on top. Could have make for an interesting glow effect that emanates under the ball.

#21 9 years ago

I personally think it's a bit tacky. I'm not anti-mod by any means, but some things really should just be left stock.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from bitCurrier:

I wonder how the EL would look underneath the ramps instead of on top. Could have make for an interesting glow effect that emanates under the ball.

Underneath is a good idea and i would use blue or red instead of green

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from bitCurrier:

That the first thing I tried that, didn't glow under that ramp at all, it just blocked the illumination.

#24 9 years ago

Looks nice but like the rest, green is the wrong color. Go with Blue.

#25 9 years ago

Wire looks like crap IMO...and that colored GI ...no thx....you asked...

#26 9 years ago

Where is the Riddler??
Good idea but as others have said color match is just off.
Blue would be my choice and two strings not one to give it more of a finished look.

You could try directing light itself to the ramp plastic make the ramp glow more if light is your objective.

#27 9 years ago

But will the color of the ramp which it what, pink cancel out the blue? Somebody have some color filters and try this out? I think the only color that would work to light up the plastic is red or white.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Wire looks like crap IMO...and that colored GI ...no thx....you asked...

Not an insult, just creative criticism. I'm not an interior decorator, that's why I'm asking.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

But will the color of the ramp which it what, pink cancel out the blue? Somebody have some color filters and try this out? I think the only color that would work to light up the plastic is red or white.

The purple ramp did cancel emulating light. The only color I got on hand is green. I think purple will work best.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Riddle me this Batman!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The EL doesn't look horrible, but the colored GI's do. Way to dark.

I took the above pic without any light. The attached pic is with the room lights on. Not as dark at all.

El wire Genesis w light.jpgEl wire Genesis w light.jpg

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Tony01:

I took the above pic without any light. The attached pic is with the room lights on. Not as dark at all.

El wire Genesis w light.jpg 144 KB

The question is honestly whether you like it or not. I don't care for the green wire either but I'm all about the colored GIs. I did mine in all pink LED

image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

#32 9 years ago

Different color and open at the ramps similar to tron and maybe it would work. Also probably just getting an Idea if it looks right but the left over in the back needs cleaned up as well.

Not my cup of tea but maybe with a few tweaks and changes.

As stated cannot out cheese a stock Genesis.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Tony01:

El wire Genesis w light.jpg 144 KB

yea, with the room lights on, every game looks the same. The GI's are suppose to illuminate the game. When you use colored lights for GI's it washes out the art on plastics and pretty much eliminates any ambient light.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Wanted
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 34.99
Cleaner
Pinball Pro
Cleaner

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genesis-el-wire-too-cheesy-looking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.