Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aa 001 (resized).JPG

#1 6 years ago

I am going crazy with this thing lol. I have two Genesis machines. One of them is now 100% working. Super nice. I love it! The other is now fully working with exception of one set of control lamps.

Ground mods have been made. Bulbs are good. Sockets are good.

Lamps 20-27 are completely nonworking.

I have continuity on about half the wires on a3-j3 but cannot for the life of me figure out why. I am certain this is the cause of the lamps not working. But I can’t figure out what to do. I’m sure I’m missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated

#2 6 years ago

Free bump for education

#3 6 years ago

Thought I’d also mention that these lights do not work with the known working boards from the other Genesis machine. Which is why I think it is in the wiring

#4 6 years ago

you and I have chatted regarding the backlight bulbs, I and not sure which bulbs are the 20 to 27 I will run test mode and see which ones I have had issues and found that it was a molex on the one of the chase boards but not sure till I know which bulbs will get back to you. and yes I am still trying to correct that back light 12 bulb issue that's tied into the robot review. chat soon,

#5 6 years ago

ok ran the test mode if we are talking about the same lights, the two gold one blue and one green for lighting up the letters on brain, legs, and arms. I have not had an issue with that particular area but if I was to venture a guess without checking my schematic I would suspect the driver board and 3 pins not making contact just a guess mind you check all the pins. I found two broken ones in robowar which shorted out my mpu

#6 6 years ago

I have repinned the connector at a3-j3 so it should not be a contact issue. I can’t figure out why I have continuity on so many pins on that connector. Somewhere on the playfield there must be a wire that is broken or moved or smashed causing it to short. It’s just strange cause it doesn’t blow a fuse and it’s only that one string of lamps that won’t work

#7 6 years ago

Ok so..... 6.3 volts to the socket. Manually shorted each socket and bulbs light up. Wiring harness inspected and I can’t see any pinched or broken wires. Is anyone familiar with system 80b that might have an idea. I now have a Manual but I can’t find anything I should be looking for.

Is the resistor block under the playfield associated with this circuit?

#8 6 years ago

Ohhh man!..........Ohhh geeezzz......... I'm sorry to inform you that it's not good! When that happens it's the first sign that the rest is going to burn up soon!! It can't be fixed! No good, Kaput!!!!

But if you act now!!!! There's hope!!!! I'd take it 4 hours south, and unload that thing to a guy in GA, trading it for whatever you can get!!!! Even if it's something as useless as a Rough Black Hole back box!!!

I'm joking! (Just in case anyone thinks I'm serious.)

Sry, I'm no help.....I'm still new to all of this...I did try to find a schematic online to see if I could even figure something out? I couldn't find one. I'll look a little more. I do.....Have a few spare parts if anything from the lower cab is the same as Black Hole. If your referring to the round glass(?) things in the lower cabinet as resistors? I may be mistaken but I think those are a type of fuse. I may be wrong on this! I'm going off of cloudy memory.

#9 6 years ago

I would bring it down there. But not for the black hole back box lol. This thing wouldn’t do anything when I got it. Tons of board work, repinned connectors, and ground mods later.... and I have 8 controlled lamps that won’t light up. Lol. I love system 80b games. They are super fun and cheesy

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I would bring it down there. But not for the black hole back box lol. This thing wouldn’t do anything when I got it. Tons of board work, repinned connectors, and ground mods later.... and I have 8 controlled lamps that won’t light up. Lol. I love system 80b games. They are super fun and cheesy

I'm just messing around....I really have nothing worth trading. Everything I have is a ......Mess!! I sit in the garage and work on stuff in the evening, I saw the thread pop up on whatever screen i watch.

If any parts will interchange, and I have no idea what those resistor looking things do, I tried to find a picture online, but for some reason I keep thinking they were a type of fuse. Not even sure for what.

#11 6 years ago

Is this what you're talking about? Or something like it?

Added...I'm wrong...I could have sworn someone told me these were solder in fuses. They are diodes for the coin door, I guess....

aa 001 (resized).JPGaa 001 (resized).JPG

#12 6 years ago

The resistor block on 80b is on the bottom side of the playfield. It has three or four cement resistors and then some smaller ones. I know it is in the flasher circuit. I don’t think it is in the controlled lamp circuit but I’m not sure. I’m going to go through the manual tomorrow again and see if I can get it lined out

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Wanted
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genesis-control-lamps-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.