Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).png
    interlock (resized).PNG
    20180324_124215 (resized).jpg
    hepd80 (resized).PNG
    20180324_105902 (resized).jpg
    E0EE4AF2-BE8C-4A73-AAE0-CAB77A3CE887 (resized).jpeg
    B5BD2E1D-6871-4F4E-A155-43BFB677F772 (resized).jpeg
    D68DE9A0-BEA9-4096-A04D-8D515B049AFE (resized).jpeg
    Capture (resized).png
    1D04ADA6-11BD-49E2-A182-13EB94571A80 (resized).jpeg
    surestart (resized).PNG
    image_27738 (resized).jpg
    Champion Dual Fuel3 (resized).JPG
    Champion Dual Fuel2 (resized).JPG
    Champion Dual Fuel (resized).JPG
    beast (resized).PNG

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I bought the discontinued Aeon current probe (maybe $20-$30). It ONLY measures current in amps. You can set the voltage for a default value (i.e. 120V) to estimate power (Power = voltage x current). The newer clamp also measures the voltage, which I believe allows you to directly measure watts and apparent power (without being too geeky, this is what happens when current and voltage is out of phase). I wasn't worried about that, so the cheapie version was fine by me.
    Hope that answers your question, I can go into more detail if needed. Just holler if needed.

Thanks! I looked into those a long time ago. I see they are now up to Gen 5. I may go ahead and pick one up.

#52 3 years ago

50 amp power inlet is installed. Ended up putting it in the garage as I was going to have to drill the studs above the breaker box otherwise. You really have to measure 6 gauge wire just right to get it to all fit in the box. Gonna do a test run tomorrow as it is about to storm here.

Anybody running a Sense Home Energy Monitor? Kinda pricey, but I like the concept.

amazon.com link »

#53 3 years ago

And we have success! My heat pump started right up. You could tell the load increased very briefly on the gen, but it didn't sound like it was straining. Ran a few lights, a freezer, and a mini-fridge at the same time. No problems.

The breakdown...

9.5/12.5K Generator - $660

50 FT. 50 Amp Power Cord - $200

Interlock Kit - $50

50 Amp Power Inlet - $85

Easy Start Capacitor for Heat Pump - $30

6 FT. of 6/3 Romex - $20

So for ~$1K, I can run everything in the house and I'm not screwing around with extension cords all over the place. I can't run all the high load things at the same time, but I don't need to. This worked out very well. I still need to convert to propane and I know that will reduce the power a bit, but I don't think it's going to be a problem.

1 month later
    #55 3 years ago

If you have a smart meter this is the cheaper way to go. I have had the Rain Forest Energy monitor for almost two years works great on letting you know energy consumption...real-time and accurate...Cheap too...*$69.00

amazon.com link »

Quoted from mcluvin:

50 amp power inlet is installed. Ended up putting it in the garage as I was going to have to drill the studs above the breaker box otherwise. You really have to measure 6 gauge wire just right to get it to all fit in the box. Gonna do a test run tomorrow as it is about to storm here.
    Anybody running a Sense Home Energy Monitor? Kinda pricey, but I like the concept.
    amazon.com link »

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheMickster:

If you have a smart meter this is the cheaper way to go. I have had the Rain Forest Energy monitor for almost two years works great on letting you know energy consumption...real-time and accurate...Cheap too...*$69.00

That's a reasonable price, but I'd like to also be able to measure load when the generator is the power source.

#57 3 years ago

Here you go, there are quite a few options with these and cheap too..

amazon.com link »

1 month later
    #58 3 years ago

Too good of a deal to pass on. eBay.

image (resized).png
    #59 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Too good of a deal to pass on. eBay.

Believe it or not, it was $240 last week with the Father's day 20% off.

#60 3 years ago

Missed that one. Did get the xp10000eh for $539 about 2 months ago.

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Missed that one. Did get the xp10000eh for $539 about 2 months ago.

Ebay must really be hurting for sales. Today they've got 15% off and 8% ebay bucks.

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside