(Topic ID: 135029)

General woodrail restoration and question thread.

By Shapeshifter

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 136 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2819 (resized).JPG
IMG_2769 (resized).JPG
IMG_2836 (resized).JPG
IMG_9594.JPG
IMG_9593.JPG
IMG_9584.JPG
IMG_9583.JPG
IMG_9576.JPG
IMG_9582.JPG
IMG_9581.JPG
IMG_9565.JPG
IMG_9564.JPG
IMG_9195.jpg
IMG_9197.jpg
IMG_9196.jpg
IMG_9193.jpg
There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 8 years ago

Moving on to hold relays - a troublesome component as they can make such a racket.

This one on same game is really really loud and gets hot and smells like it is burning!

Just wondering - there is a silver bar going across from one relay to the next.

Do I unsolder this and coil lug and take the hold relay out?

New coil? New armature? Want it to be quiet......

IMG_8944.jpgIMG_8944.jpg

2 weeks later
#102 8 years ago

So, continuing along as there may be others who decide to get into the wonderful world of woodrails!

Anyway, working on 1954 Diamond Lill.

When I got it I noticed credit meter would not step down below 2 and go above 13. First thought is 'must be a switch'. Very wrong.

This era credit meter should step to 26 so I wanted mine to.

All that follows, is trial and error and illustrates how working on these games is a black hole in terms of time.

And big thanks to Dirtflipper as I would have given up long ago I think

First problem was noticing cam was broken. Great, had to buy a 1959 credit unit that had the right cam. Then I had to learn how to take these things apart.

Will document as I can't be the only one who didn't know how to.

First step is to unscrew the set screw as in picture. If lucky the reel will pull off. If unlucky like my 1 point stepper it just won't budge!

Whilst off I clean with Novus 2 and cotton buds - seems to get all dirt off without damaging black ink.

set_screw.jpgset_screw.jpg

reel_dirty.jpgreel_dirty.jpg

reel_clean.jpgreel_clean.jpg

#103 8 years ago

The spring unhooks and the top of the cam is a cotter pin and these can be bought on ebay.

The cam I received was quite rusty but always amazed how well Gottlieb parts clean up.

Can see the broken cog.

Replacement_cam__.jpgReplacement_cam__.jpg

Replacement_cam_clean.jpgReplacement_cam_clean.jpg

spring_cotter.jpgspring_cotter.jpg

#104 8 years ago

So, put in the new cam and all would be well!

I got it all back together but it still wouldn't step below 2. Boy, why not?

With help I saw that the switch stack had been put on the wrong way round.

Reverse it and all would be well.

No, still didn't work.

The switches were also in wrong order!

So, take it off, move everything round and hope.

This time, success, credit unit to zero and up to 26.

Couldn't quite line up the zero center of the credit window and it always seems to slip down a tad. Given up on that for now.

So, if like me this is all new, it is amazing what has to be done to get something back to factory.

Phew!!

Switch_wrong_.jpgSwitch_wrong_.jpg

switch_half_right.jpgswitch_half_right.jpg

#105 8 years ago

This is correct position of switches in this unit - this was Mystic Marvel.

I would like to say what these 3 switches are but I have forgotten?

switch_correct.jpgswitch_correct.jpg

#106 8 years ago

Never heard of a cotton bud? (cotton balls?)

Bruce

#108 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Swabs maybe?
Use them all the time on reels and other stuff.

Got it! I'll have to get some for doing mine too.

Thanks,
Bruce

#109 8 years ago

Also noticed the backbox lighting was fairly poor and just thought it was the age of the game.

Took out light board and virtually every light was black - but they all work. No wonder lighting looked poor!

Wonder why they go black/silver at the ends and yet still work?

Anyway replaced all with 47's and wow, what a difference to the backglass lighting.

And there is the credit meter that I just can't center.....but at least it now works.

An easy job for once

IMG_9015.jpgIMG_9015.jpg
IMG_9016.jpgIMG_9016.jpg

1 month later
#110 8 years ago

I just purchased a Coronation pinball machine and need some help. When we got it, it lit up and flippers and all seem to work fine. Launched a ball and it got stuck against one of the round bumpers (rubber was bad) I shook it to get the ball to come loose and it tilted. Well now the tilt light stays on the whole time and won't reset when you push the button?? I have an electric meter and am a mechanical person, just need to know where to look.

Thanks

1 week later
#111 8 years ago

I love this technique!

See all those scratches in the lacquer. Well, before technique was posted above would have presumed it need a complete re-finish.

But one wipe with cloth and lacquer thinner and done

IMG_9182.jpgIMG_9182.jpg

IMG_9183.jpgIMG_9183.jpg

#112 8 years ago

Looks great! Some very nice woodies you have there.

#113 8 years ago

Here is something that I learnt this week.

I had a bent, tatty Heath mech in my game which luckily works.

So, as it was really dirty thought I would lightly clean it.

I used a product someone here recommended, can't remember who. A zep rust, calcium remover.

Wow, the stuff is good!

Can now read the writing on the mech.

I quite like the old look with the 'patina' but equally nice to see it as it should be.

IMG_9194.jpgIMG_9194.jpg

IMG_9193.jpgIMG_9193.jpg

#114 8 years ago

Here are some NOS woodie goodies!

Flipper links - these fit my 1952 Coronation but at some point by 1954 the links had changed and not been able to find any of that sort.

Cigarette holders - still got the protective tape on. Almost don't want to use them!

And flipper guards.

IMG_9196.jpgIMG_9196.jpg

IMG_9197.jpgIMG_9197.jpg

IMG_9195.jpgIMG_9195.jpg

4 months later
#115 7 years ago

Ok, here is going to be a rambling post that might be of use to anyone who works on a 100k stepper and like me, doesn't really know what they are doing! Also a celebration of the Gottlieb slogan, 'There is no substitute for quality'.

So, my 1952 Coronation. Small issue ( in theory.... ) . The lights flicker or go off on the 100000's and the millions' lights on the backglass. When this happened I had no idea why. The usual thank you to DF as I was lost in space

So, it looked like the problem would be the 100k stepper and it was but little did I know how long it would take me to sort out!

For some reason the shoes weren't getting good contact on the rivets beneath. The arm was looser than on my other games.

I ended up taking it all apart and re-assembling again and again and again - good way to learn

The rod inside the cam wheel comes out and so cleaned it all.

Now this is a 1952 game that has had this stepper going perhaps over a million times and just look how these parts look after 60 years. Amazing really.

IMG_9564.JPGIMG_9564.JPG

IMG_9565.JPGIMG_9565.JPG

IMG_9581.JPGIMG_9581.JPG

IMG_9582.JPGIMG_9582.JPG

IMG_9576.JPGIMG_9576.JPG

#116 7 years ago

So, to take apart. Used a socket wrench to take off screw and 2 washers. Then wiper comes off. Go to other side and move contacts ( 2 screws remove ). Then cam wheel comes out. Loosen set screws. Clean everything.

The fun for me begins re-assembling. I didn't know the arm has to be set at -1 position as the 10k stepper moves it to zero on re-set.

Spring had 6 turns on it from memory. Once I had re-assembled I had adjusted too much so it would not re-set and the cam would not spin to zero.

Had to loosen off and got it to re-set. So, after 5 days I was pretty much back where I started!

Time to re-examine the shoes. I didn't know that apart from being clean they must really glide up and down, like a knife through butter. I de-soldered 2 of the shoes and polished them so they did indeed glide.

Day 8. Re-assembly time again. It worked with the exception of lights going off a 3 million. Cleaned, polished the rivets and it all now seems to be working.

I have never been mechanical at all so this is all new to me. The purity of the Gottlieb parts is such that it seems possible for a non mechanical person like myself to get these working almost like they did back in the 50's which is testament to the amazing quality of these magnificent woodrails.

IMG_9583.JPGIMG_9583.JPG

IMG_9584.JPGIMG_9584.JPG

#117 7 years ago

And then finally with the unit working the numbers on the backglass are bright and no flicker.

That was 8 days of anguish!

And I haven't even cleaned the coil sleeves or other parts of the stepper.

I appreciate these woodrails even more when they work but also appreciate that there was no built in obsolescence - looked after these games could and should last another 100 years!!!

IMG_9593.JPGIMG_9593.JPG

IMG_9594.JPGIMG_9594.JPG

#118 7 years ago

Great job Simon-the stepper is gleaming!!

#119 7 years ago

Took out light board and virtually every light was black - but they all work. No wonder lighting looked poor!
Wonder why they go black/silver at the ends and yet still work?
Anyway replaced all with 47's and wow, what a difference to the backglass lighting.

I did this this past weekend with a game (mass replacement on 90% of the bulbs, since they didn't match the brightness of the brand new ones (too dark; AND it was new 47's vs. old 44's, which 44's should be brighter by a hair) I'm taking to Pinfest with similar results on most bulbs, or they were just going dim from age.

The reason for the "burn" in my opinion is that they get too hot and over time the pieces inside the glass move closer to the glass (or some are just built that way, I've noticed, even on brand new bulbs) and leave a toasty burn mark on the glass as they light up since they're too close to the inside of the glass. Not a problem besides leaving that mark there, and also being a bit more of a literal pain to pull out if you've had the game on recently. Ouch!

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Great job Simon-the stepper is gleaming!!

Thanks Wayne - just nice to have it working

Quoted from Otaku:

I did this this past weekend with a game (mass replacement on 90% of the bulbs, since they didn't match the brightness of the brand new ones (too dark; AND it was new 47's vs. old 44's, which 44's should be brighter by a hair) I'm taking to Pinfest with similar results on most bulbs, or they were just going dim from age.
The reason for the "burn" in my opinion is that they get too hot and over time the pieces inside the glass move closer to the glass (or some are just built that way, I've noticed, even on brand new bulbs) and leave a toasty burn mark on the glass as they light up since they're too close to the inside of the glass. Not a problem besides leaving that mark there, and also being a bit more of a literal pain to pull out if you've had the game on recently. Ouch!

I now keep all my old GE 44 bulbs as they seem way better quality than new bulbs. I put 47's in the backbox but prefer 44's under the p/f. Yes they are hotter but for home use, but don't think it really matters.

5 months later
#121 7 years ago

I will be getting my first woodrail next week. The owner says I have to "break down the entire machine to get the legs off".....are they really that difficult or he just doesn't know what he is doing? It is an Exhibit Supply Company machine....they look like acorn nuts to me on the legs. I plan to bring a bunch of wrenches and a dolly and hydraulic lift table in the back of the truck, so it shouldn't really matter if I can't get them off, but it seems odd to disassemble the whole machine to take the legs off.

#122 7 years ago

dont have that game, but would assume the legs come off, and the head comes off about the same aas any other pin...for the most part.

#123 7 years ago

Thanks Wayne - just nice to have it working

I now keep all my old GE 44 bulbs as they seem way better quality than new bulbs. I put 47's in the backbox but prefer 44's under the p/f. Yes they are hotter but for home use, but don't think it really matters.

i agree 100%

1 year later
#124 5 years ago

I had a bent, tatty Heath mech in my game which luckily works.

So, as it was really dirty thought I would lightly clean it.

I used a product someone here recommended, can't remember who. A zep rust, calcium remover.

Wow, the stuff is good!

Can now read the writing on the mech.

I quite like the old look with the 'patina' but equally nice to see it as it should be.

Reviving this thread which I think is worth keeping going for us woodrail lovers.

What was the process you used to clean your heath mech?

#125 5 years ago

left mine sitting in vinegar for a day then scrubbed up. will post a photo tomorrow

#126 5 years ago

Whats a

?

#127 5 years ago

Very timely, as I'm working on a World Beauties right now.

Doing a 2 into one thing. Basically, I have 2 of everything except the PF and backglass. The PF on one literally was eaten by a rodent. The other one is by far the best intact PF I have ever seen for a woodie.

I'm probably going to be putting a lot of woodie parts on Flea Bay in a month or so. I need two swap some head parts too.
IMG_2769 (resized).JPGIMG_2769 (resized).JPGIMG_2836 (resized).JPGIMG_2836 (resized).JPG

Spent yesterday leveling inserts.

IMG_2819 (resized).JPGIMG_2819 (resized).JPG
#128 5 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

Whats a

Quoted from PinballFever:
heath mech

?

The Heath coin mechanism that's used in 50's Williams and Gottlieb machines.

#129 5 years ago

More
Reviving this thread which I think is worth keeping going for us woodrail lovers.
What was the process you used to clean your heath mech?

The Zep stuff is great. With 000 Steel Wool.

https://www.amazon.com/Enforcer-ZUCAL32-32-Ounce-Zep-Calcium/dp/B001B16R4A/ref=sr_1_4

#130 5 years ago

Do you soak it in a diluted solution (30% clr and 70% water) or rub it with a cloth?

#131 5 years ago

Do you soak it in a diluted solution (30% clr and 70% water) or rub it with a cloth?

Steel wool 000.

I didn't dilute - wore gloves as it is super strong stuff!

#132 5 years ago

Ok, I'll give it a try. I have steel wool 0000 and 00.

I'm restoring two woodrails at the same time. Will post before/after results with these Heath coin plates.

3 months later
#133 5 years ago

Does anyone know what exact size and thread the head bolts are on Gottlieb woodrails, I'm missing a few and nothing I've been able to find in my hardware bins work?

#134 5 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Does anyone know what exact size and thread the head bolts are on Gottlieb woodrails, I'm missing a few and nothing I've been able to find in my hardware bins work?

The ones that attach the backbox to cabinet...? If so, I picked some up recently at a local hardware store. According to my notes and measurements of the one I had, they are 5/16" - 18 (thread) and 1 3/4" long. Good luck!

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

And if I remember correctly, the store only had these in stainless.

1 month later
#136 5 years ago

Very excited to try that laquer thinner technique on my current project. Glad i found this thread!

There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/general-woodrail-restoration-and-question-thread/page/3?hl=mnpin66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.