(Topic ID: 135029)

General woodrail restoration and question thread.

By Shapeshifter

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 136 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2819 (resized).JPG
IMG_2769 (resized).JPG
IMG_2836 (resized).JPG
IMG_9594.JPG
IMG_9593.JPG
IMG_9584.JPG
IMG_9583.JPG
IMG_9576.JPG
IMG_9582.JPG
IMG_9581.JPG
IMG_9565.JPG
IMG_9564.JPG
IMG_9195.jpg
IMG_9197.jpg
IMG_9196.jpg
IMG_9193.jpg
There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 years ago

Just thought I would create one thread instead of lots with general questions and restoration questions that are applicable to woodrails. I have started collecting and now have questions and hopefully some can be answered and anyone interested in woodrails may learn something new.

So, first question. Got a 1952 Gottlieb Coronation. Unlike 1954 Gottlieb games the coin door appears to have no hinge so hangs out. Is this normal for this era? Have looked and seen other Coronation's look similar.

And second question. The lock in the door is unlike one I have seen before - could be original? I am thinking there must be something missing but nothing to compare to?

IMG_8693.jpgIMG_8693.jpg

IMG_8697.jpgIMG_8697.jpg

IMG_8696.jpgIMG_8696.jpg

IMG_8695.jpgIMG_8695.jpg

#2 8 years ago

The door on my Pinky has no hinges and basically fell out when I opened it. Even though I was wearing sandals it missed landing on my feet. This is the way they were.

#3 8 years ago

Yep, no wonder they are often missing on those early games. Get taken off and set aside somewhere. The lock looks pretty standard but appears to be missing the cam that holds the door in place when locked.

#4 8 years ago

The Williams Grand Champion (1953) has hinges on the wood door but the United "Utah" doesn't.

Btw, I look forward to learning from this thread about woodrail restoration.

Bruce

#5 8 years ago

Great

Questions answered in that seems like early doors just 'fall out'. I thought it had busted at first!

Lock. Thought one bit was missing - thanks.

#6 8 years ago

Moving on as had another question already!

Gottlieb pre 1955 used wooden legs - 31 inches.

One of my games, not sure which as a few arrived together has a set of wooden legs. A label says Gottlieb 32.5 inches. They are not bingo legs but I can't find anything to say Gottlieb made a 32.5 inch leg?

Same 55mm diameter as other Gottlieb 31 inch legs I have.

IMG_8689.jpgIMG_8689.jpg

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Great
seems like early doors just 'fall out'. I thought it had busted at first!

And if it has one of those old push coin mechs there is a good chance it will bust your toe if your feet are not properly protected.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And if it has one of those old push coin mechs there is a good chance it will bust your toe if your feet are not properly protected.

It won't catch me out again

#9 8 years ago

I could be wrong but I thought Gottlieb and Williams used 31" legs in the wood leg era?

#10 8 years ago

Thanks for starting this thread. I am just starting to collect woodies and am excited about learning more.

#11 8 years ago

I'm about to pick up a wood rail, are the dimensions about the same width and height as a modern game? Just curious if I can get it in my Ford Escape with head off obviously.

#12 8 years ago

Single player woodies are smaller. Same size playfield but shallower cabinet and smaller head.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I could be wrong but I thought Gottlieb and Williams used 31" legs in the wood leg era?

All my Gottlieb and Williams wood legs are 31" My 1952 Genco Springtime has 30.5" legs. Much like my pant inseam.

Regarding hingeless doors: Noticed that there is no hinge on the '48 Barnacle Bill, '49 Buttons & Bows, '50 Madison Square Gardens and Knock Out, and the '52 Springtime. The doors have a jones plug that easily disconnects but the wires may slow the descent of the door toward a toe encounter. All games, Gottlieb, Williams and Gencos that I have do have hinges after 1954...

Joel

door.jpgdoor.jpg

#14 8 years ago

Gottlieb woodrails use 31" legs.

Door hinges added late 1953, starting at around Pin Wheel (I think).

Lock is an original style.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

All games, Gottlieb, Williams and Gencos that I have do have hinges after 1954...

Wondering when they started hinging the doors? The flyer for 1953 Grand Champion that I have advertises hinged door for easier servicing.

1953 GC Flyer.jpg1953 GC Flyer.jpg

20150805_185049.jpg20150805_185049.jpg

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Door hinges added late 1953, starting at around Pin Wheel (I think)

DF answered as I was posting.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

The doors have a jones plug that easily disconnects but the wires may slow the descent of the door toward a toe encounter.

Pinky has no jones plug. Just a set of contacts that come together when the door closes. Watch out toes!

#18 8 years ago

Ok, so I want my 32.5 inch legs to be 31 inches.

My thinking is hacksaw? Any tips so I don't get wobbly legs?

And any tips for removing this part? The tacks are really tight in.

And presume put it back in once legs cut?

IMG_8690.jpgIMG_8690.jpg

#19 8 years ago

No hacksaw! First I would use a square to check if that cut is 90 degrees in both directions or if it is angled/tapered. Use a mitre saw or other chop saw so you can get a perfect cut. Back up the bottom edge of the cut with a sacrificial piece of wood so you don't blow out splinters where the saw blade exits. You may want to orient the cut so that edge is facing towards the inside/back of the machine when the leg is reinstalled just in case.

Try to pry up the metal ring with a small prybar enough to allow you to grab the top of that nail with some hefty pliers. Ease them out. Looks like you may need a forstner bit or similar to drill out a recess for the leg leveller after you shorten the leg.

#20 8 years ago

Ok, so I want my 32.5 inch legs to be 31 inches.
My thinking is hacksaw? Any tips so I don't get wobbly legs?
And any tips for removing this part? The tacks are really tight in.
And presume put it back in once legs cut?

It's not always quite that simple. The leg bolt holes on the other end also have a spacing from the top of the leg, which affects where the cabinet sits relative to the leg.

And Gottlieb legs have a particular bevel to the front outside edges.

So, before modifying these legs, I'd carefully compare to a set of known Gottlieb legs. While these may be a bit longer overall, the cabinet may still sit at the correct height.

And bear in mind that Steve has added repro wood legs back in stock now too, which might be a better alternative.
http://pbresource.com/news.html

(pricey though.)

But if you do opt to shorten the legs, it really needs to be done with a power tool, not by hand. Table saw or chop saw. A tack puller for the two tacks and then pry out the leveler insert. A big box home improvement store can probably do the cuts for you.

You may find though that the game sits at the correct height with them as is.

#21 8 years ago

Thanks guys.

Will double check the legs before doing anything. Will take off a leg off another game and put one on and see what happens.

Would this kind of thing work in a power drill? Mine are only about an inch bigger. Guessing got to get much bigger blades.

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Grinding-Dremel-Cutting-Rotary/dp/B00WGSBW9M/ref=sr_1_5

#22 8 years ago

Well, useful to know how to take those bits out but following Dirt Flippers advice I put the 32.5 inch leg on. It is too big but also looks wrong. Not a Gottlieb so onto plan B. Restore a beat up set I have spare.

That is a question for another day as it's a big topic!

And if I can't get a nice finish, plan C is buy a set from PBR....

Ok, looked at the other set I bought as spare - one leg totally wrong so back to plan A!

Dirtflipper - thank goodness I lined up the holes as cutting 1.5 inches would have been wrong as holes in slightly different place.

So, with advice given is there any type of cutting disc that would fit a cordless drill that would do the job or do I need to buy a another device of some sort? Assume I know very little in this area re advice

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Pinky has no jones plug. Just a set of contacts that come together when the door closes. Watch out toes!

The '52 SpringTime has contacts, and no plugs, also.

door_contacts.jpgdoor_contacts.jpg

#24 8 years ago

So, with advice given is there any type of cutting disc that would fit a cordless drill that would do the job or do I need to buy a another device of some sort? Assume I know very little in this area re advice

You should use a miter box, hand powered or electric, in order to hold the leg in line with the blade in both planes. This can be achieved with a carpenters hand saw alone, but only after much practice.

Carefully mark the leg, set the angle on the miter saw, clamp the leg in place and make the cut.

#25 8 years ago

I don't have the equipment so going to find somewhere that has a decent saw - thanks

#26 8 years ago

And while on legs, here are 2 photos of leg levelers - one is obviously modern and the other is I am guessing what they used in the 50's?

I only have 2 original sets and would like more.

Did anyone ever repro these? Guessing they are tough to find as well.

IMG_8698.jpgIMG_8698.jpg

IMG_8699.jpgIMG_8699.jpg

#27 8 years ago

Well, useful to know how to take those bits out but following Dirt Flippers advice I put the 32.5 inch leg on. It is too big but also looks wrong. Not a Gottlieb so onto plan B. Restore a beat up set I have spare.
That is a question for another day as it's a big topic!
And if I can't get a nice finish, plan C is buy a set from PBR....
Ok, looked at the other set I bought as spare - one leg totally wrong so back to plan A!
Dirtflipper - thank goodness I lined up the holes as cutting 1.5 inches would have been wrong as holes in slightly different place.

I think you really need to use a drop saw (not a hand device) with fine tooth blade so you can get a perfect & precise cut including if necessary appropriate angle.

#28 8 years ago

Does anyone know pls what creates these abbreviated posts (as above for me) which have a rectangular box & three dots to click to get the full post. They are a pain!!

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Does anyone know pls what creates these abbreviated posts (as above for me) which have a rectangular box & three dots to click to get the full post. They are a pain!!

Hit the " sign in the lower right side of the post that you want to quote. The reply box will put a block quote at the top of your reply. If the original quote is several sentences long, it will abbreviate the quote in a little window that will expand if you click on the 3 dots.

Quoted from wayner:

They are a pain!!

They can be!

#30 8 years ago

A new hingeless door can be fairly easily made using only a tablesaw- and Dremel tool for routing. I made mine out of pine shelving material. It's soft and easy to work with.
Strong enough in a non-public arcade.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

I think you really need to use a drop saw (not a hand device) with fine tooth blade so you can get a perfect & precise cut including if necessary appropriate angle.

Thanks - yes, going this route when find someone to do it.

Guessing the old leg levelers are impossible to buy as no one has come back with any comments.

#32 8 years ago

I have never seen that style leg leveler before. They are neat. I'm guessing you will have a hard time finding new ones.

Dave Sorenson (a local woodrail collector) has some listed in a Mr. Pinball ad that may be the same thing?
"4 Vintage Leg Levelers 40s/mid 50s blasted-clear coated--$12.00"

#33 8 years ago

Yes, those are the old style of leg levelers, and are more a cast piece than the newer ones that are pressed together. They've not been repro'd (that I know of). Best bet is to find used (like the ones Alex points out, which have been available for ages).

#34 8 years ago

Thanks - now I know what to look for I will keep an eye out - those ones in mr pinball probably long gone but I know someone else who may have some - hopefully.

#35 8 years ago

those ones in mr pinball probably long gone

It may be worth checking. He has been reposting his ad for a long time with those still in it.

#36 8 years ago

Back to my 32.5 inch legs because I saw earlier today someone was poking fun ( RGP ) at the pinside experts as he says these legs are WLMS.

I have decided not to cut them as it is a shame to ruin a set of original legs and they are not right anyway.

I would like it if someone can identify them having read the RGP post!

Anyway photos. They are 32.5 inches and ever so slightly wider. Less rounded finish at the top as well.

Put it next to a Gottlieb 31 inch.

So, what are they? I can then buy a game to go with the legs

IMG_8704.jpgIMG_8704.jpg
IMG_8703.jpgIMG_8703.jpg
IMG_8702.jpgIMG_8702.jpg

#37 8 years ago

Those look like the legs that came with my United Singapore.

#38 8 years ago

I just measured my only game with wooden legs. It is a 52 William's Jalopy. The leg length without the leveler is 30" long! This makes the game stand about 37" from the floor. Line perfectly with the other games in the row. I think there are game length anomalies depending on the cab depth.

#39 8 years ago

Back to my 32.5 inch legs because I saw earlier today someone was poking fun ( RGP ) at the pinside experts as he says these legs are WLMS.

I have noticed a number of posts on RGP recently highly critical & derogatory towards Pinside & Pinsiders-all apparently posted by active members of the hobby. It is a great pity that those that seek to belittle others are not more accommodating of the existence of & need for different levels of hobby expertise & importantly of the existence & importance of different forums without stooping to the lowest forms of communication. I do not witness, thankfully, these derogatory comments towards RGP from Pinside.

#40 8 years ago

I measured the legs on my two woodrail games without the levelers.

United Utah - 31"
Williams Grand Champion - 32.5" (sounds like your legs are from Williams too)

#41 8 years ago

I just wanted to add, that wood legs are a MUST on pre-flipper games (IMHO). I've seen pre-flipper games fitted with steel legs and believe they are missing out on an important aspect of it.

The reason are they are tall and spindly not rigid and secure like steel legs.
You can really fine tune your nudging skills on a pre-flipper game with those wood legs. Then you move to a 70's era heavy 4 player game with steel legs and it seems almost un-nudgeable.

#42 8 years ago

Still on subject of legs.

One of my games came with original flat cream legs ( gave up trying to find a set for another game - tough find! )!

Anyway I saw them and immediately thought powder coat time!

But then I realized I have never seen an original set like this so would just accept them as they are.

Then tried Novus 2 of a bit of the leg - wow, is it cleaning it good.

Anyway I guess many would powdercoat but going to clean them and leave them.

So, these are the legs Gottlieb used around 57-60 I think.

IMG_8715.jpgIMG_8715.jpg
IMG_8716.jpgIMG_8716.jpg

#43 8 years ago

Leave the white legs alone. Clean them up and be happy you have them in the shape you do. Steve at PBresource sells reproductions of these that have been powdercoated.

Those vintage leg levellers are pretty cool and pop up on Ebay pretty regularly. I know they were used on Bally and Chicago Coin Machines as I've come across them still intact on those. Not sure whether or not Gottlieb used them at the time, but they were pretty standard at the time. Old pub tables will sometimes have those on them as another avenue for searching.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from jjpm:

Leave the white legs alone. Clean them up and be happy you have them in the shape you do. Steve at PBresource sells reproductions of these that have been powdercoated.
Those vintage leg levellers are pretty cool and pop up on Ebay pretty regularly. I know they were used on Bally and Chicago Coin Machines as I've come across them still intact on those. Not sure whether or not Gottlieb used them at the time, but they were pretty standard at the time. Old pub tables will sometimes have those on them as another avenue for searching.

I will leave them alone as nice to have an original set. PBR reproductions are fluted so not the same - got a set here.

#45 8 years ago

Here's some old pinball feet.

DSCN3848.JPGDSCN3848.JPG

#46 8 years ago

I was looking to replace what I thought was a home made tilt strike plate.

But, as I was looking for a copper strike plate it has been suggested Gottlieb sometimes made them like this?

Anyone know if this is true?

I can see 2 holes behind the tilt bob so I think it is not original!

IMG_8723.jpgIMG_8723.jpg

#47 8 years ago

so I think it is not original!

It is not.

#48 8 years ago

Ok, this is a toughie so not expecting many answers! One will do

So, I have these targets on my Sluggin Champ and they look awful. And they are cut at the top - surely Gottlieb wouldn't do this?

I have these I bought from pbr - they are different.

Last photo shows them more clearly on a game called Stage Coach - not mine.

So, what are these targets and where do I get them??

Thanks

IMG_8730.jpgIMG_8730.jpg

IMG_8729.jpgIMG_8729.jpg

image-10.jpgimage-10.jpg

#49 8 years ago

Jimmy to the rescue

Targets I had bought were rivet.

Sluggin Champ and others use Stud Bullseyes Target Faces and pbr have them so I can remove the delightful ones I have!

#50 8 years ago

So, I thought this would be real easy to find but heck I can't find info anywhere!

Tips for re-finishing side rails, wooden legs, lock down bars.

Sand down, coat with something, sand, repeat a few times?

I remember reading something recently where satin varnish was used?

There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/general-woodrail-restoration-and-question-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.