Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

34855B5C-7205-4FAA-9898-681FDA7E63D9 (resized).jpeg
3712C20D-B2E3-411B-B146-651C9C8AC7F9 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Hi all…
On my teed off…..
F23 fuse (.5amp slow blow) blows when ball passes over the roll over switch adjacent to the ball gate/post.
The coil (& assembly) for the gate/post is new and tests within parameters
I’ve checked corresponding resistors/diodes on the driver board. All good. I’ve even swapped in a driver board from another game that’s 100%. So I don’t think it could be board issues.
When I got the game the complete ball gate/post assembly was missing. I assume because it was blowing the fuse and the game can’t be played if the post never drops….I installed a completely new unit that i got from Steve.
Not sure where else to go on it. In reviewing the schematic I can’t find anything else that gives me a clue. Appreciate your suggestions!
Note: the complete assembly I got from Steve at PBR did not have a diode on the coil - assuming that’s acceptable

Thx
Pete

#2 2 years ago

ANY coil that is driven by a transistor MUST have a diode across it either at the coil terminals (preferred) or at least on the driver board where the coils connects. Maybe your board has a diode on it - I don't know without more information about your game.

Without this diode, the driver transistor will have a VERY short life - possibly only a few activation's before it shorts and creates additional problems for you to solve.

Do you have a schematic of the area in question? Might be a clue to post it here so people don't have to go away and search for something to help you more.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from petebest:

Hi all…
On my teed off…..
F23 fuse (.5amp slow blow) blows when ball passes over the roll over switch adjacent to the ball gate/post.
The coil (& assembly) for the gate/post is new and tests within parameters
I’ve checked corresponding resistors/diodes on the driver board. All good. I’ve even swapped in a driver board from another game that’s 100%. So I don’t think it could be board issues.
When I got the game the complete ball gate/post assembly was missing. I assume because it was blowing the fuse and the game can’t be played if the post never drops….I installed a completely new unit that i got from Steve.
Not sure where else to go on it. In reviewing the schematic I can’t find anything else that gives me a clue. Appreciate your suggestions!
Note: the complete assembly I got from Steve at PBR did not have a diode on the coil - assuming that’s acceptable
Thx
Pete

Q6 is the transistor associated with the fuse/coil in question.

Looking under the PF, about 1/2 the coils do and 1/2 don’t have diodes. The slingshots, and upkickers for example do not have diodes….

3712C20D-B2E3-411B-B146-651C9C8AC7F9 (resized).jpeg3712C20D-B2E3-411B-B146-651C9C8AC7F9 (resized).jpeg
#4 2 years ago

D6 is protecting that driver MOSFET so all good without a diode on the coil.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

D6 is protecting that driver MOSFET so all good without a diode on the coil.

On the playboard diagram - a diode is shown. Is this the same diode referenced on the driver board schematic? Or should there in fact be one on the coil?

34855B5C-7205-4FAA-9898-681FDA7E63D9 (resized).jpeg34855B5C-7205-4FAA-9898-681FDA7E63D9 (resized).jpeg
#6 2 years ago

It is far better electronically if the diode is right at the source of the generated EMF - in this case, right on the coil BUT this isn't your problem here and the diode on the PCB will suffice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint-denis-sur-richelieu, QC
2,520 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/general-issue-with-system-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.