• 18 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Pinslot
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi,

Was playing the other day. Everything worked fine. Turned game on today and GI is out on playfield, but not on backbox.

What is the logical way to approach this issue?

Grateful for any hints.

Stefan

#2 5 years ago

Check the 1 amp slow blow fuse under the Playfield.

And then check all the fuses on the rectifier board

#3 5 years ago

Check fuse on the rectifier board in backbox. I think it is the 20 amp off hand.
Also the connector on the rectifier board. They burn up .

#4 5 years ago

Ok, will look into that tomorrow. Thanks

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Check fuse on the rectifier board in backbox. I think it is the 20 amp off hand.
Also the connector on the rectifier board. They burn up .

Yes, F5 is for GI, and is a 20A fuse

#6 5 years ago

Check your wires, headers and connectors on the rectifier board too while you are there.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks, guys.

Took a look at the rectifier board today. All fuses including the one under the PF are good. GI works in Blackbox and coin door. Voltage at test point 4 is 6.6. All other voltages at test points 1-5 within spec.

J1 was replaced by the previous owner. The corresponding header pins, too. Everyone is nice and shiny and the connector sits snugly on the pins.

The other 2 connectors look ok and are not toasted.

Not sure where to look next. Any ideas?

#8 5 years ago

Check connections at the light driver board. I would just try turning the game and wiggly the connectors and see if it lights up. If it does connector need work.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

Check connections at the light driver board. I would just try turning the game and wiggly the connectors and see if it lights up. If it does connector need work.

The gi lamps are not controlled by the lamp driver board. Rectifier board

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from chad:

The gi lamps are not controlled by the lamp driver board. Rectifier board

Well he's gotta start looking somewhere if it not the rectifier board. Cant hurt.

Don't all the wires from the rectifer board go into the other boards at some point. I'd be checking all the connections.

#11 5 years ago

On the Rectifier board, Take a close look at J 2 pins 1, 5. J3 pins 1, 2, 10, 11 These may need to be resoldered on the rectifier board and the molex .156 pins inside the housing replaced.

#12 4 years ago

Ok, thanks for these tips. I’ll inspect J 2 pins 1, 5 and J3 pins 1, 2, 10, 11.

I have a question: does the fact that fuse F5 is not blowing mean I can rule out a short circuit in the GI itself?

#13 4 years ago

So, just replaced the above-mentioned molex connectors on J2 and J3, but with no effect. Then I investigated the back side of the rectifier board: boy it was not a pretty site. I didn‘t change anything, but reassembled everything and turned it on to check I hadn’t made it worse. For a couple of seconds the PF GI worked, so it must be a bad solder joint. It is so badly soldered I’m fearful of reseating pins in case I create a short circuit

#14 4 years ago

Let's see some pictures of that

#15 4 years ago

i would check for ground wires loose in the cab.

MJR

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinslot:

So, just replaced the above-mentioned molecules connectors on J2 and J3, but with no effect. Then I investigated the back side of the rectifier board: boy it was not a pretty site. I didn‘t change anything, but reassembled everything and turned it on to check I hadn’t made it worse. For a couple of seconds the PF GI worked, so it must be a bad solder joint. It is so badly soldered I’m fearful of reseating pins in case I create a short circuit

I have had to remove old solder and clean it up good, then apply fresh solder using some flux.

#17 4 years ago

The good news is I have a spare repro board, so I’n gonna instal that.

#18 4 years ago

Argh... zero Volts at Test Point 1

The saga continues. I connected the repro board and took great care to hook all wires up correctly. I'm getting 177 volts at Test Point 2, 12,6 v at TP3, 7,4 AC at TP4 and 43V at TP 5, but ZERO V at TP 1. The fuses are good.

I took a good hard look at the solder connections using a bright lamp and a magnifying glass and they seem okay. Nevertheless, I guess bad connectivity at one of the solder points is the issue.

Does anyone know which wire (E Number) I should resolder?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/general-illumination-on-playfield-of-bally-star-trek-out?hl=pinslot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.