• Latest reply 8 years ago by schrace7
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

untitled_PDF-1_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

OK....next issue for my Twilight refurb. I have general illumination on the left side of the pinball but not the rights side. Anything quick I can look at?

Also, when I turn the machine on and I put it into test, it says that the "clock is broken"....but it is a brand new board from Rocketdog. Also, only the left LED lights are working, not the right.

Is there any relation to my two issues? or completely unrelated?

Thanks
LEE

#2 8 years ago

Sounds like a connector issue for the GI. Check wires/connector at board. Check continuity from connector to sockets on the string.

For clock, rottendog is not the way to go. Ingos board is the only reliable solution. What does the clock do in test mode?

#3 8 years ago

Is there only one connector for the GI's on the board? I will trace them from the sockets to the board shortly.

The clock seems to work in TEST mode. The optos are picked up at 15, 30, 45, 60. And the hours also work. When the game is first turned on though, it stops at 12:02 (about).

#4 8 years ago

Check the manual, there could be one or two connectors for gi, not sure.

Does the clock hit every time period on the dmd and does it match what the clock in the game shows?if it does, means clock is working and your problem may be elsewhere.

#5 8 years ago

Here's info on the GI circuits on TZ. Also check the fuses, which are also listed in the document.

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Bally_Twilight_Zone_Tech_Chart.pdf

#6 8 years ago

gi plugs into j121 on driver board.
for the clock check if the black opto interupter ring for the hour optos might be on upside down, it dose go on a certian way. easy to do I did it and didden't figure it out for a long time. refer to the manual page 2-23 for correct orentation.

#7 8 years ago

Fuses are good......gotta follow wires next...it seems to be the purple/ white purple....is there any tests that I can do with a tester at the pins or on the connector?

The clock is assembled correctly with the minute hand. Is there any boards underneath the playfield that I should check in relation to the clock?

#8 8 years ago

so here is a thought.....I had the boards refurbished and good as new. And I followed the wires (purple/purple & white) to the first bulb socket. So as long as the wire is not cut along the way, it should be on the connect that connects to the board???????????

#9 8 years ago

That's right. If you get continuity from connector to first light and light doesn't work, issue is before the connector...bad solder joint on pin, blown fuse or transistor.

#10 8 years ago

ok.....dummy me....I was testing the wrong fuse for the purple/white purple....ends up that I keep blowing the fuse (fuse 106) now I just have to trace the steps from the first to the last socket.....

#11 8 years ago

I had an issue with my clock after a rebuild (also rotten dog) where it would run for a bit and then fail. There was too much front and back play on the main shaft and the clock hand would shift too far towards the front and then fail to break the opto beams accasionally. I added a washer on the back side of the mech to keep the clock hand closer and that solved it.

#12 8 years ago

So odd, I literally had the exact same issue as you on my TZ. Switched out fuse 106 and boom, problem solved! Traced it to the wrong fuse as well, I obviously should have checked all the fuses.

#13 8 years ago

actually, I didn't find the proble yet. I have to find out what socket is causing me issues. I will start with the first set and go from there. Unless somebody has an easy way of finding issues with the GI sockets??????

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from schrace7:

ends up that I keep blowing the fuse (fuse 106) now I just have to trace the steps from the first to the last socket...

Don't forget the coindoor GI. This is also GI#5 violet and connected with J119.

untitled_PDF-1_(resized).jpguntitled_PDF-1_(resized).jpg

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from schrace7:

The clock is assembled correctly with the minute hand. Is there any boards underneath the playfield that I should check in relation to the clock?

The minute hand will still point up twards 12 if the black opto wheel is upside Down inside the clock.
Did not know you had a blown a fuse on the GI. Are there led's in the GI? I had a bad led from a cointaker set that blew fuses right away on a junkyard I had, could this perhaps be the case!
Good luck hope you get this sorted out TZ is the best game ever imo!

#16 8 years ago

Thanks LEIDAN....It is something with the coin door. I unplugged J119 and all the GI's on the left side worked.......yippee.. Onto the next issues

#17 8 years ago

went to plug it in and the fuse blew again.....
ENDED UP BEING A BAD LIGHT SOCKET.......the inside bottom washer was hitting the spring inside so it must have been shorting it out....wow....what a mess...now I need to order some sockets....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.50
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/general-illum-twilight-zone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.