• Latest reply 3 years ago by jackd104
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5AA132B7-F793-41A7-9DF6-62DB5C725ECB (resized).jpeg
D1B5992A-3E5E-485A-AAAA-914DD4A6A108 (resized).jpeg
AC11EA7A-ACDC-4128-9252-86B92F8D90F7 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spyderturbo007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 3 years ago

One thing I learned about running a business is "Sell on price, lose on price". You don't want the business from the people that are worried about price. You want the business of the people that want the job done correctly. Period....End of discussion.

Also, learn from my mistakes. $40/hour is NOT worth getting out of bed for if you ask me. To someone that's making $12-$15 an hour, $40 sounds like a lot, but it is not.

You're going to be traveling, so there is wear and tear on your car. You'll need insurance in case you drop a screw driver on their dog, they sue you and try and take your house. You'll also be paying both sides of the taxes when you file, which they call the "Self-Employment Tax". I could go on and on.

Look at it this way, if you do a 1h job with 15 minutes of travel on both sides, you're making ~$27/hr. Subtract $3-$5 for fuel and you're down to $24. Wear and tear on the car another few dollars. Pay the taxes on that and you'll be lucky if you hit that $12-$15/hr I mentioned above. Oh, and you'll still have to deal with the phone calls, the emails, the call backs, going back because you don't have a part, people that don't pay, etc, etc.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from starting a business at all. I'm just trying to keep you from making the mistakes I made when I started. If you're good at what you do, you need to charge more....A lot more.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah it’s a pretty thankless job.
I’m selective on the jobs I accept and I make it clear I’m not leaving without 200-300 and there’s a good chance I won’t get to everything in one visit. Weeds them out Pretty easily.

Wow, I think I just up-voted Levi....Someone write that down.

What Levi said is a great way to pre-qualify someone before you actually do the work. You can tell right away if they are serious by saying something like, "I charge $80/hr and most jobs can be completed in 4 - 5h, so probably no more than $400 plus parts to get her it up and running". You'll find out really quick if they are serious or not.

I do that all the time with clients and it has saved me so much time it's not even funny.

I stopped doing work for home owners years ago. They are just a pain in the ass and expect the world for the price of a ham sandwich. But with your business, you're going to have to deal with home owners, so just make sure you charge a lot.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spyderturbo007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/general-gripe-about-starting-a-repair-business?tu=Spyderturbo007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.