6 days ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by G-P-E
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 days ago

I am looking at buying a fuse kit with an assortment of different values just to have on hand for repairs. I'm sure many of you know how annoying it is when you have a bunch of different fuses on hand already, but then that one 3/8 amp fuse blows and you don't have it. So you have to either order it or go out and hopefully find it at the store. I'd like to have a kit at the ready, just in case that one Skateball fuse blows, and then later a Fish Tales fuse goes.

So a few questions. Does anyone have a recommendation for where to get a fuse kit with a bunch of different fuse values? Amazon seems to carry some kits, but they all look like the wrong size.

Speaking of size, what is the actual appropriate size fuse for pinball in general? Not amperage rating, but the physical size. I'm seeing sizes that are 5x20mm, 6x30mm, 3AG, 1-1/4", etc. and I don't know which one is correct.

For pinball, what voltage rating is typically used?

Should I just order from Great Plains? Mouser Electronics? Marco seems to sell either singles fuses, or kits based on an individual game.

I just want an assortment of fuses at the appropriate size (generally speaking, if a unique fuse presents itself then I'll manage that individually.) As my collection of pins grows, it would be nice to have fuses ready just in case anything needs replacing.

#2 6 days ago

Good luck I have 20 different type/size fuses on hand and every time I get a new game (half the fuses are the wrong values) there is atleast one that I dont have, thats the number one reason I liked my local Radio Shack.

#3 6 days ago

Radio Shack was the bomb before they became another phone store.

#4 6 days ago

The Pinball Resource, great prices.

#5 6 days ago

Best would be make your own kit. Check the manuals or games you have. Make a list of sizes. Keep in mind if you planning on adding any pins, check those manuals if you can, on line or something.

Order a bunch of fuses from any of the pinball parts suppliers. Get a plastic parts box and labels. Assemble. Done.

Keep an eye on any you use. Next time you get parts replace them.

LTG : )

#6 6 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Best would be make your own kit.

I was thinking of going down this route, but figured I'd ask to see if anyone had a good recommendation for a pre assembled kit.

#7 6 days ago

For solid state pins you want 1-1/4" slow-blow fuses. When I was looking for fuses two years ago, most people steered me towards Pinball Life because the sell quality name branded Bussman fuses, and at that time Marco's and Pinball resource were selling cheap Chinese fuses for around the same price.

Pinball Life's fuse page:
    https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=fuses

You can order a kit with a variety of fuses from Pinball Life:
    https://www.pinballlife.com/slo-blow-fuse-kit.html

You can buy individual fuses here:
    https://www.pinballlife.com/1-14-slow-blow-fuses.html

Pinball Life didn't have the kit available when I ordered at that time, so I ordered the individual fuses in increments of five. If you ordered in increments of five, they ship in the small metal tins displayed. I then bought ten each of 15a and 20a fuses from Pinball Resource. If you don't order the Pinball Life kit, make sure to order a fuse puller.

I like LTG suggestion to go through your manuals to determine which fuses you'll need. Fuses are cheap so I suggest ordering ten of each. Buy a plastic storage case with changeable rows to insert the tins. Another option is to buy a plastic storage case with fixed small compartments. Using a label maker, print a sticker for 3A SB. Place it on the bottom of one of the compartments. Load the fuses. Now when you're making a list to reorder parts, you can quickly inventory what fuses you need to order.

#8 6 days ago

Good advice, thank you bluespin. I also had my eye on the Pinball Life website.

#9 6 days ago

If you collect early Bally solid state pins, the solenoid board uses one oddball size 3/16 amp fuse, smaller than the usual 1 1/4" fuses -

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/F8AG-0.187
    https://www.pinballlife.com/25mm-fast-blow-fuse-316-amp.html

#10 6 days ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

For solid state pins you want 1-1/4" slow-blow fuses.

For remakes, JJP pins, etc. You start needing the 20mm size fuses. That is where having the game to check or manual can help you.

LTG : )

#11 5 days ago

Luckily (or perhaps unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) I don't have any newer games and can't see myself with one any time soon. But that's good to know about the early SS Bally games, as I do have a few of those.

#12 5 days ago

If you don't want to deal with shipping your local hardware or big box Lowe's (or equivalent) will have most of the common sizes and values you need. Occasionally the Radio Shack website (which does exist!) will have BOGO fuse packs and I stock up when they do.

#13 3 days ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

For solid state pins you want 1-1/4" slow-blow fuses.

I started looking at the manual for my games and started with NGG. I found the fuse values there and cross checked the part numbers for each fuse. Apparently when I put the part numbers in Google, all of those fuses are coming up as 5x20mm fuses. One of the more common fuses listed is 5731-14530-00 if you want to see for yourself.

I didn't realize fuses could be so confusing.

#14 3 days ago

Not all pinball machines use 1.25" fuses and certainly not all of them were slow.
    WPC95 machines used 5x20mm. I'm not sure what the newer Stern, JJP, etc are using.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 91.00
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 24.00
    Electronics
    Docent Electronics
    $ 245.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 89.99
    $ 9,000.00
    $ 64.99
    € 200.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Buthamburg
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 100.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 43.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 81.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 102.00
    $ 5,899.99
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside