86 days ago

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 48 days ago by TwilightZone
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

5B8160EF-6ADF-4F4E-A6A4-D8C263EFC613 (resized).png
    5F8EB897-624C-4B96-A072-398A69C057F9 (resized).jpeg
    B9E61CD8-EB74-4142-8B99-8334E56FA76D (resized).jpeg

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 86 days ago

Just found out that Gene passed away on Wed. Love him or hate him, he did the pinball hobby a massive solid with the BBB release.

#2 86 days ago

I saw Pinball Inc's Facebook post.

I hope he'll be remembered for getting the Big Bang Bar remakes done.

LTG : (

#3 86 days ago

I miss seeing Gene at shows with a few tables full of NOS Williams/Ballys goodies from back about 10-15 years ago or so, when I was building my 90's W/B collection and restoring everything as I went. We all knew he had tons of desirable NOS stuff tucked away in storage that he probably long forgot about, or might not of even known he had, so it was always exciting to see him at a show and wonder if he had that NOS W/B grail part you were looking for.

May he rest in peace, and sincere condolences to the family and friends.

#4 86 days ago

Sorry to hear. R.I.P. Mr. Cunningham.

#5 86 days ago

Aw.. sad to see. His interviews were fascinating, and he really moved mountains and proved remaking games was a possible, desirable and (with proper logistics) profitable.

#6 86 days ago

He was an amazing asset to the community.be at peace sir.

#7 86 days ago

Dad gone, this guy was a true Legend. He got those machines
    out by sheer will from what I understand. The Great Arcade is a little farther along.

#8 86 days ago

R.I.P Gene. He was always a fixture at the shows. Should have got in on BBB but I did get a bunch of parts and his book on Dave Christensen.

#9 86 days ago

So sad to read this. He was a gentleman and a pioneer in the world of pinball and will be truly missed. Condolences go out to Georgianna and the rest of the family.
    R.I.P.

John and SuAnn Dayhuff

#10 85 days ago

Sad to hear this news. Very interesting guy and life. Condolences to the family.

#11 85 days ago

Sorry to hear about this. His name and what he did will always be Pinball Legend.

#12 85 days ago

RIP Gene. He was always willing to sit and tell stories at shows. Definite asset to the hobby.

#13 85 days ago

Rip gene. So glad to have met and spent a full day with the man and see the wonder and love for pinball through his eyes.

#14 85 days ago

Condolences to his family and friends. Rest in Peace Gene.

#15 85 days ago

Sorry to hear RIP Gene

#16 85 days ago

I remember the first time I met him at one of the early Pinball Fantasy shows in Vegas.
    We both had a great appreciation for those Bally Christensen pins.
    I remember going to one of his pinball auctions in the early 2000s in Bloomington Ill.
    One of the true pinball pioneers.

#17 85 days ago

I am so sorry to hear of this. Gene was always very good to me and he did a lot to keep this hobby moving forward. Prayers to Gene's family. I hope they can find piece in this situation.

#18 85 days ago

Sorry to hear .I still remember and appreciate when IPB was one of only a couple resources keeping the parts market and in turn hobby alive in the dark days. RIP Gene.

#19 85 days ago

Really hate to hear this. Prayers and thoughts with his family.

#20 85 days ago

I met him at a show In Pennsylvania and he was very friendly and talkative. We spoke about BBB and his Kingpin upcoming remake interest. I told my wife this was THE Gene Cunningham and he laughed about his fame.

Rest In Peace Sir.

#21 85 days ago

I bought a bunch of parts and playfields from him. Class act!!! RIP.

#22 85 days ago

He had a true passion for the hobby. Got to eat lunch with him and spend some time with him years ago. IPB was really starting to produce some parts after years of nothing and I truly believe he was losing money on a lot of what he was selling. You will always be remembered. RIP Gene Cunningham.

#23 85 days ago

Always interesting talking with Gene at shows. Miss that a lot.
    He took the time to give my son and me a lengthy tour of his collection when picking up some rare parts in Bloomington.
    Wally

#24 85 days ago

Well shoot that's sad to hear. I'll play a couple games on my BBB in memory of him this weekend, thankful to own one of the machines he made possible.

#25 85 days ago

I met Gene and his lovely wife at the Rochester Pinball Show way back. I brought my previous Big Bang Bar machine (#34) at the time to be used in the tournament (and so that others could have a chance to play it).

His words to me before knowing it was my game was, “Who the hell would bring their game to a show? Are they nuts”??

I raised my hand and said, “Me!” Then I asked him to sign my translite. Haha!!!!

He was very nice to me and kind.
    RIP Gene and condolences to the family.
    B9E61CD8-EB74-4142-8B99-8334E56FA76D (resized).jpeg5F8EB897-624C-4B96-A072-398A69C057F9 (resized).jpeg

#26 85 days ago

Sorry to hear.
    Would love to talk with Gene at shows. He would regularly show up at the Columbus arcade/pinball auctions in the late 90’s early 2,000.

Last time I talked with him was at his place when I picked up my BBB

#27 85 days ago
    Quoted from athens95:

Last time I talked with Gene was at his place when I picked up my BBB.

Yep. That was the day that pigs flew.

#28 85 days ago

RIP Gene and condolences to your family. You were a pioneer of pinball and a true shooting star. You made a difference in this world and will be missed.

#29 85 days ago

RIP Gene. He was quite the pinball character with lots of crazy stories.

#30 85 days ago

Gene was a rich eccentric who was throwing away his life savings into attempting to resurrect pinball long before it was the cool thing to do.

RIP Gene!

#31 85 days ago

Much love rip gene

I'll always remember the one show I was talking his ear off at a show.

Very cool guy with tons of knowledge and we will miss you

#32 85 days ago

RIP Gene.

#34 85 days ago

Very Sad

My thoughts go out to Kim and Her Family at this Sad Time.

RIP

#36 85 days ago

A sad day no doubt. Oddly I just picked up a BBB last week Friday. He certainly proved if there a will there’s a way. A really wonderful guy that will be missed and left a defining mark on this hobby. RIP Gene.

#37 85 days ago

What a super guy. Very sad to hear he is gone. I met him at the Kalamazoo MI "Pin at the Zoo" show several years ago where he and his wife both signed my copy of "Mad Dog and his Art". They were both patient in answering all my questions, and spent a good deal of time simply chatting. He will be missed.
    Murphy

#38 85 days ago

If anyone can find an Obit honoring his lifetime, please post it. Thank you.

#39 85 days ago

RIP Gene.
    Thanks for all you have done for this community.

#40 85 days ago

I think Gene is the reason pinball is so healthy now. No BBBs from him, no CGC,no Stern LEs, he showed people what was possible. He left the pinball world a better place. Thanks Gene.

#41 85 days ago

So sad to hear, RIP
    Was he ill?

#42 85 days ago

11 - TOPcast pinball show #11
    TOPcast - This Old Pinball radio talk show TOP Cast
    Duration: 1:06:07
    Published: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 11:30:00 -0500
    Episode: http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/showget.php?id=11

Media: http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/topcast_11.mp3

Norm & Shaggy TOPcast pinball show #11 with Gene Cunningham (Illinois Pinball). Gene talks about buying Williams/Bally parts assets and remaking Capcom Big Bang Bar.

#43 85 days ago

RIP, Mr Gene.
    Lots of great stories.

#44 85 days ago

We lost another legacy, legend, pioneer,.
    Guys like Gene are why we are still here.
    Here's to playing and remembering the ones that make it so we can still play.
    Pinball is fun, Thanks Gene for making it that way.
    Im sure he will make the arcade in the Heavens the best place to play!

#45 85 days ago

Sincere condolences. Rest in peace sir.

#46 85 days ago

Prayers and condolences for family and friends. I met him once at a Rochester show, a man with pinball passion in his blood. So sorry to hear. Rest in peace Gene

#47 85 days ago

Rest in peace Gene knowing your legendary place in the pinball world will never be surpassed.

#48 85 days ago

End of an era.

Shadow Plastics Superset loaded with unobtanium pieces wouldn't have happened without him.

#49 85 days ago

He is an absolute legend. Sad to hear he is gone. RIP Gene

#50 84 days ago

I first met and spoke with Gene, if memory serves me correctly, at Allentown back when it was held at the vendor market. I was newer to the hobby then, and he took time to converse with me and give me some of his opinions.
    I gained so much in that 15-minute chat with him, later I learned more about his legacy in the hobby.
    Tis' sad news indeed - it's the passing of one of pinball's unique individuals. RIP.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 160.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 265.00
    $ 219.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 2.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 64.00
    $ 76.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 66.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 18.99
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside