• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by AlexF
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“The Genco Tri-Score Rollover Button Insert fit can be restored”

• Yes. The Genco Tri-Score Rollover Button Insert playfield fit can be restored. 3 votes
    100%
  • No. The Genco Tri-Score Rollover Button Insert playfield fit can not be restored 0 votes
  • Abandon the playfield restoraton and get another project. 0 votes

(3 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GTS_Bottom_Playfield_1 (resized).JPG
GTS_Top_Playfield1 (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

The rollover button inserts on the playfield of a recently acquired January 1951 vintage Genco Tri-Score have shrunk and no longer fit snugly in the playfield cut-out holes.
The inserts are typical of old Genco EM machines of the late 40s and early 50s and are bright yellow with bright red 1-1/16" rollover buttons.
The rollover button inserts, after shrinking, now measure about 2-1/16" in diameter and the playfield cutout holes are 2-1/8" in diameter.
That leaves a generous 1/32" gap around several of the playfield's rollover buttons. Too much play for a snug fit.

Photos of the top and bottom portions of the playfield illustrating the rollover button insert fit issues are attached.
Button #5 is particularly troublesome.

What can be done to fix the rollover button inserts, or the playfield, so the rollover buttons fit and work properly in the playing field?

Thanks.

GTS_Bottom_Playfield_1 (resized).JPGGTS_Bottom_Playfield_1 (resized).JPGGTS_Top_Playfield1 (resized).JPGGTS_Top_Playfield1 (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#2 4 years ago

I believe that I have found a solution to the restoration problem.

Most of the used parts available for this Genco Tri-Score restoration are also shrunken or warped and will need a similar treatment.
My approach to restoration is to apply Titebond "Quick&Thick" multi-surface glue to the outer perimeter edge of the insert being restored.
This glue dries clear and adheres well to the perimeter surface of the plastic insert.
It only takes one or two coats of glue to get the diameter of the insert ready for replacement.
If needed, selectively apply one or more glue coats to an insert that has an out-of-round perimeter.
When you are satisfied with the perimeter fit, you will need to sand and polish the play surface of the insert before reinstalling it into the playfield.

This technique has worked well for me.

#3 4 years ago

I have an assortment of these older rollover in my parts stash. As mentioned though I believe they have also shrunken over time.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genco-tri-score-rollover-buttons-restore-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.