20230304_132123 (resized).jpg
20230304_132059 (resized).jpg
IMG_1248 (resized).JPG
IMG_1249 (resized).JPG
sunvalley2 - Copy (resized).png
IMG_1242 (resized).JPG
GENCOHEAD (resized).jpg
GencoCAB (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jappie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 9 years ago

I've got a beautiful flipperless Big League from 1940. It's really a piece of art. Only one I know to exist, too.
tmp_32105-P1000482-811292390.JPGtmp_32105-P1000482-811292390.JPG
tmp_32105-P100047334050289.JPGtmp_32105-P100047334050289.JPG
tmp_32105-P1000478-843399501.JPGtmp_32105-P1000478-843399501.JPG

3 years later
#92 5 years ago

Hi Genco guys, I'm looking for an instructions card (or a scan or picture of one) for my 1940 Big League. Or any type of documentation, really.

It's quite a longshot since I haven't seen or heard of another example of this game in almost 10 years of owning it. But it can't hurt to try, right? If you have something, please let me know!
20190106_133236 edit small.jpg20190106_133236 edit small.jpg

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from Sheprd:

That is a very nice machine. Have you looked up the US patent on it? Patent #: US002134185
Mac

I hadn't, but I have now. Thanks! Very cool to see this generation of Genco's features described and drawn out. This is going on the wall next to my Big League!

Genco Patent 01 (resized).pngGenco Patent 01 (resized).png
Genco Patent 02 (resized).pngGenco Patent 02 (resized).png
Genco Patent 03 (resized).pngGenco Patent 03 (resized).png

3 months later
#110 4 years ago

Here's some pics of how it's done on my 1940 Big League. Works great. Not sure if I like the placement of the bridge though.

I hope the pictures clear things up a little. If not, I'll gladly describe which wire goes where. Not now though. It's been a long but fulfilling day of pin hauling and I'm off to bed.

20190511_001823 (resized).jpg20190511_001823 (resized).jpg20190511_001924 (resized).jpg20190511_001924 (resized).jpg20190511_001958 (resized).jpg20190511_001958 (resized).jpg20190511_002013 (resized).jpg20190511_002013 (resized).jpg
#112 4 years ago

Will definitely do, when I'm near the machine again.

Thought it might be good to have a copy of the bit on Pinrepair about this problem here in the group too, for future reference.

From Pinrepair.com:
Genco's DC Dilemia.
Unlike everyone else, Genco used DC voltage to power all their coils at about 18 volts. To do this, they use a selenium rectifier to convert the transformer's AC voltage to DC volts. This style of rectifier was used before the invention of silicon diodes. Selenium rectifiers are notorious for failing gradually over time, and then dying suddenly. It is not a matter of "if" a selenium rectifier will fail, but rather "when" it will fail. Selenium rectifiers fail because they develop high, internal series resistance, resulting in lower bias or "C-supply" voltage. Their forward voltage drop increases to the point that they no longer convert AC voltage to DC. As this happens, the increased resistance causes the rectifier to heat up, which eventually causes it to burn. When this happens, it emits a highly pungent and nasty odor, and could start a fire (selenium rectifiers probably reached their peak in TV sets of the 1950's). Nowadays their use would probably be restricted in consumer products because of the toxicity of selenium.

The biggest symtom of a failing Genco selenium rectifier are coils that are "weak". For example, the classic case is the bell solenoid just doesn't have enough juice to ring the bell. The bell plunger goes up, but it doesn't strike the bell with enough force to actually sound the bell. Or when the score reels or continuous units reset, they do it lethargically.

The selenium rectifier should be replaced with a conventional bridge rectifier. Radio Shack sells a 25 amp 50 volt bridge with lugs that works just fine, though I personally use a 35 amp 200 volt bridge (because I already have them around for solid state games and their power supplies).

The new silicon bridge is easy to hook up to the Genco transformer. Just remove the two top outside green wires going from the transformer to the selenium rectifier, and connect them on the two AC lugs of the bridge (the bridge's AC lugs are diagonal to each other, and usually at least one is marked "AC".) One of these AC transformer leads should go through a 10 amp fuse (which would blow if the new silicon bridge shorts, which can and does happen.)

Then the upper solo output wire from the selenium rectifier (which has a cloth wire going to the harness) should then be connected to the negative lug on the silicon bridge. The "+" (positive) silicon bridge lug is then connected to the transformer's top center lead, which also connectes to the old selenium rectifier (cut the connection to the old rectifier though.) After mounting the wires, put a wood screw through the hole in the center of the silicon bridge, and screw it to the wood panel. Leave the original (and now disconnected) selenium rectifier there, for that "original" look.
genco1 (resized).jpggenco1 (resized).jpg
A 1954 Genco 2 Player Basketball which has been converted from using the original Selenium rectifier, to a new silicon bridge rectifier. Note the 10 amp fuse installed too, on one AC lead going to the silicon bridge.

#113 4 years ago

Alright, let's see if this helps. The wires that come out of my transformer have heat shrink tubing around them, which will not make it easier to see. But here goes.

This first picture is taken with the playfield in upright position. Camera facing up from inside the cabinet.
The orange wire in the foreground that comes from the transformer connects to the left lug of the bridge in the third picture of this post.
pic 1pic 1

This second picture is taken with the playfield in upright position, camera facing down.
The upper transformer lug in the foreground of the picture connects to a greenish wire which goes into the wire harness of the playfield, this is original.
The middle lug with the white/purple wire connects to the lower lug (plus) of the bridge in the third picture.
The lower lug with the orange wire in the foreground connects to a 10A fuse, which then connects to the right lug of the bridge.
pic 2pic 2

That leaves us with the yellowish wire that comes from the upper lug (minus) of the bridge. This goes into a white wire that goes into in the wire harness.
pic 3pic 3

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Might be helpful. I’m a little confused as to why three of his wires go to the rectifier. Headed to the basement shortly to tinker... I’ll report back.

Please do! I'm curious now if mine is actually hooked up the way it should be!

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

So I hooked mine up the same way as Jappie's, and I have some success to report. I'm not sure I understand *HOW* it works wired this way, but it appears that it does. The ground goes back to the transformer, which doesn't make much sense to me, but I do have 18 (well, a little over 19) volts DC. When I tried to start a game, nothing happened with any of the steppers, but I did briefly have GI... which I had assumed to be 6v, and as a result, those bulbs all released their magic smoke. I have ordered the correct bulbs, and I'll take another crack at it. By manually operating the steppers, I was able to determine the ball count unit, the score unit, and the changeover unit. While I wait for the bulbs to arrive, I'm going to keep cleaning switches and such in the hopes that I stumble across whatever is preventing the game from starting.
[quoted image]

Cool to hear that it worked! And too bad to hear about your GI :/ Hope you get it fully working soon. These prewar oldies are really cool when they play like they should.

#123 4 years ago

I think my Genco Hi-Fly might still be running on its Selenium rectifier. When I modify that to use a Bridge rectifier, I'll make a Youtube short on it. Right now, the info on this simple mod is just too hard to obtain.

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from BWHenson:

Look for the guy that was restoring a Argentine he was wondering how to hook up his bridge rec and someone had pictures of theirs I have four different Gencos...2 Captain Kidd 1 Argentine 1 Victory.. I have my one C/K. Playing and am restoring my Argentine. I've learned a lot about them by trial and error but was able to wire in my bridge rec by those pictures posted on the restoring the Argentine on our site. His handle was toyguy I think or something like that.
[quoted image]

Thanks! I think we've solved this now though.

Great looking Argentine!

1 month later
#149 4 years ago

Nice catch! Beautiful machine.

Should you need any help figuring out the scoring mechanics, let me know. My 1940 Big League has exactly the same playfield layout, and probably exactly the same ruleset as well.

20190703_091735 (resized).jpg20190703_091735 (resized).jpg
#154 4 years ago

Toyguy, you asked for pictures. Here's 2 pictures of my backbox. Do they show what you are looking for?

20190704_210503 (resized).jpg20190704_210503 (resized).jpg20190704_210525 (resized).jpg20190704_210525 (resized).jpg
7 months later
#193 4 years ago

This Four Roses just popped up for sale nearby. I've seen the machine first hand a few years ago and know it's in very good condition. Exceptional, for a 1940 machine.

Would look great next to my Big League. Same year of manufacture, same cabinet style, same condition.

Any idea on the value, anyone? It's fully complete.

$_86 (3) (resized).jpeg$_86 (3) (resized).jpeg$_86 (11) (resized).jpeg$_86 (11) (resized).jpeg$_86 (8) (resized).jpeg$_86 (8) (resized).jpeg
#195 4 years ago
Quoted from Sheprd:

Wow, what a nice looking machine!

It is a thing of beauty, no doubt.

Cool story behind it too:
Machines like this one were donated to the US army by Genco, to provide the soldiers with amusement in Europe during World War 2. The current owner heard this from an ex Genco employee at Pinball Expo years ago. Could have been Steve Kordek.

The current owner bought the Four Roses from a farmers' son. This man said that the American soldiers had left the machine with his father when the war was over, together with other things they weren't taking back to the US.

I wouldn't be surprised if my Big League was brought into The Netherlands in the same way. It is of the same age, also was bought from a farmers family, had been there for many decades and is in amazing condition.

This Four Roses and my Big League are the only two Genco machines of this vintage (both are 1940 machines) that I've ever seen in the Netherlands, in 20 years of collecting. Which is not strange: I can imagine that normal import of amusement machines was non-existent in WW2.
IMG_20200217_171124 (resized).jpgIMG_20200217_171124 (resized).jpg

#197 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

1) that game looks stunning. If you're going to have a flipperless machine, might as well have the prettiest
2) what's that upright machine in the background of the final photo???

1. True story. So what do you think it's worth? Hard to say, I know. But what would your ball park be?

2. Looks to be a boxing machine. You see them a lot on fairgrounds here.

#199 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Complete and working 100% I'd guess $300-350 USD. almost no market for flipperless machines, generally. At least in North America.

Thanks! I did expect a game in this condition to be worth a bit more. And I know the seller thinks that too.

Any other opinions on the value?

#201 4 years ago
Quoted from jsf24:

I believe her estimate to be spot on. They are more art than pinball in most people's opinion.

Cool, thank you as well!

To be clear: I'm not putting any of your estimates in doubt! It's just nice to have a couple of them to have a strong negociation point.

1 month later
#234 4 years ago
Quoted from tomcons:

As can be seen from these letters, sometime between August and November 1940, Genco went from 'Genco Incorporated' to 'Genco Manufacturing Co. Not Inc.' No idea why, but would love to know.[quoted image][quoted image]

These letters are cool, thanks for sharing! Do you have more of those?

2 months later
#240 3 years ago
Quoted from JeffRollins:I also have this post under restoration questions, hoping it may be found by the right people. Hope that's O.K.
Hi, I am new to this site. I have received a couple of really good tips from members so far. I need to ask some more stuff about older machines.
1. What is the button under the front side of the machine to the right of the coin slot for, resetting games?
2. I know the 120AC can be jumped out from the front door. What are the 2 switches in the door by the coin slot for?
Also, I trip relays and solenoids to get scores to light as a test, since the playing field switches do nothing yet. When I have many lit and then hit the reset bar back at the coin slot area, I blow the fuse to my bridge rectifier. Any idea why? I am trying to figure which bulbs need replacement, but also am working towards understanding how to make the rest work.
3. Under the board one of the solenoids is always on when I have power applied (the relays are all DC). Is this supposed to be so? I saw somewhere, but can't remember where, that one of the relays is always on when the game is alive.
4. If it is always alive with power on, then do I want to bypass the 120 and make it always on, or should I leave the 120 at the door and the timer?
Attached are some pics. The fuse and bridge rectifier are replacing the selenium rectifier.
In the last picture, what is R.Play if that's what it says, and the other printed item by these jumpers?
The machine is really clean I think. I have cleaned the play field and fortunately all the bumpers and lights are there.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Think I already answered question #1 in my pm to you, no?

For reference:

I think the button on the lower cabinet knocks off the credits on the machine. See, these old machines were used as gambling machines back in the day. In many locations, accumulating credits would mean the bar tender or shop owner would pay you a certain amount of money (or cigarettes or candy or whatever) once you had finished playing. After such a payout, the knockoff button would 'reset' the machine's credits for the next player.

1 year later
#275 2 years ago
Quoted from tomcons:

The repro backglass that I did for my '49 Genco Camel Caravan. Digitally printed in three layers directly to glass. The original glass (1st pic) had a lot of flaking and shifted or faded color, and tons of touchups. The rest of the pics show the new glass, unlit and lit on the game.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is beautiful. Congratulations.

9 months later
#296 2 years ago
Quoted from petebest:

Hi all-
I picked up the Junior pin today. The mech/assembly that pushes the ball up is missing. Would someone please post a pic of what it should look like? I can’t find an image of it online. Additionally - if you have one for avail id love to buy it. As well as a shooter rod & bezel. Someone installed a gottlieb bezel on it.
Thx!
Pete [quoted image][quoted image]

Oof... That looks rough, @petebest. It seems like the cabinet of your Junior was shortened at some point.

Here's a few pics from my 1940 Big League. Looks to be the same system.

Good luck!

20220329_121753 (resized).jpg20220329_121753 (resized).jpg20220329_121815 (resized).jpg20220329_121815 (resized).jpg20220329_121822 (resized).jpg20220329_121822 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#300 1 year ago

For those of you that like gameplay videos, here's one I've made that digs a little deeper than the usual one.

It's from my Genco 1940 Big League, which is the sister machine to 1940's Big Town (same game, different artwork).

Enjoy!

#302 1 year ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

As one who also likes to make videos of my games and play, I commend you for an excellent video. Thanks!
Joel

Thanks so much for your kind words, Joel! Where do I find your videos?

3 months later
#309 1 year ago

Another video of my Big League!

6 months later
#320 1 year ago
Quoted from Learmud:

Anyone have a shot of the missing part? It’s tied to tilt so I’m guessing it’s a spring with a nut or something like that. Mounted on the bottom cabinet so a slam style switch. Its not mine just curious.
[quoted image]

Good guess sir! It's a tilt mech. And it uses the same spring that a late 30s Genco spring bumper does.
Screenshot 2023-02-07 12.00.45.pngScreenshot 2023-02-07 12.00.45.png
Source:

3 weeks later
#327 1 year ago
Quoted from vaevictis:

I was helping a buddy out, over at his parents house today. They have, what I'm told is, a 1939 Genco Fair. It looks to be in fair shape. As noted above, not much of any (next to none) information out there on machines of this era. My buddy and his dad are interested in more information about the machine though. He had played it in the past and knows that it's about 1939, due to details on the back glass depicting accepts of it. All assistance or resources would be appreciated. This only the second wood rail I've encountered. I'm mostly in the solid state era, with late 70s EM exposure. Sorry for the quality of the images.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very cool find! Prewar bumper Genco's are very pleasing to the eye.

If the machine is complete and not completely rusted up, it shouldn't be extremely hard to get working.

There's a big chance that the dc voltage for the coils won't work because of a blown out selenium rectifier. You can exchange it with a bridge rectifer to fix it.

Ipdb.org doesn't have any pictures of the game yet. Would be cool if you could supply them!

#329 1 year ago
Quoted from vaevictis:

Definitely going to try, but they have a lot going on. For me though, it's really crazy to have encountered a "pin" with so little documented history. I feel like an explorer.

I know the feeling. I have yet to encounter another copy of my 1940 Big League. Figuring out how it is supposed to work with nothing but the machine itself as a basis was part of the fun though.

I created this video partly because there is so little information on these machines. Every bit helps.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jappie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genco-owners-club?tu=jappie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.