20211115_163333 (resized).jpg
20211115_163319 (resized).jpg
20211115_163254 (resized).jpg
20211115_163125 (resized).jpg
20211115_163205 (resized).jpg
20211115_163132 (resized).jpg
IMG_2050 (resized).JPG
20210701_140839 (resized).jpg

There are 283 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 1 year ago

Pmoore66 great post, and thank you. For what it's worth, the AC portion is totally unnecessary-- I replaced mine with a modern DC power supply, and it works fine.

While you're in there, I would strongly suggest removing the 120v lines under the playfield that run to the timer and coin door. They are unnecessary in a home environment, and post a shock risk.

#252 1 year ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

pmoore66 great post, and thank you. For what it's worth, the AC portion is totally unnecessary-- I replaced mine with a modern DC power supply, and it works fine.
While you're in there, I would strongly suggest removing the 120v lines under the playfield that run to the timer and coin door. They are unnecessary in a home environment, and post a shock risk.

I'm thinking that I will hang on to the selenium rectifier just in case the next owner really wants that look. Although I am not a perfectionist, I consider myself a steward of my games. A time will come when my macines will be passed along so until that time, I will do my best to keep them functional. Most of my machines came with odd hacks that annoy me so if the next owner is annoyed by my removal of the rectifier, at least they could reattach it for aesthetic purposes.

#253 1 year ago
Quoted from Pmoore66:

I ordered a bridge rectifier from PBR and made time for the replacement this morning.

Usually, the DC- is connected to the center tap of the transformer, making the common "ground". I think you have the DC- and DC+ reversed from that perspective.

#254 1 year ago

Sheprd I pulled the DC+(middle wire) and that short wire from the same connection point on the selenium rectifier. The DC- was at the end by itself. This is my first attempt at this replacement. Machine has been working fine. If they were reversed what would I expect?

1 week later
#255 1 year ago
Quoted from Pmoore66:

sheprd I pulled the DC+(middle wire) and that short wire from the same connection point on the selenium rectifier. The DC- was at the end by itself. This is my first attempt at this replacement. Machine has been working fine. If they were reversed what would I expect?

Things will still work. The DC creates a magnetic field that pulls in relays and solenoids either way. It's kind of like having an old car with a positive ground system. Still works, but if someone expects it to conform to what is typical in most machines, they will get wrong measurements. If you ever want to ground the metal parts of the machine for safety reasons like all modern games are, you will want to reverse the DC and go negative ground.

1 week later
#256 1 year ago

Bought a Black Gold on Wednesday for $200. It's my first EM game, and the first time I've ever encountered a wood rail. Playfield is in fairly nice condition for being 70 years old, but the backglass needs a lot of repainting.

The seller told me that the machine was working when he bought it (We've all heard that one before). The seller told me the machine sat in a barn for many years before he got ahold of it. The cord was too frayed and torn to plug in and test the machine on location. So I made sure nothing from the machine was missing, and took the machine home.

The repair list:
1 bridge rectifier
14 improperly spaced switches
1 missing ground wire
2 cold solder joints
1 tired bonus wheel spring
3 fuses to replace the blown ones jumpered with aluminum foil (yes, seriously)

All in all the work took about 16 hours and as of this morning is working flawlessly. While these games are really simple even compared to a lot of EM machines, I found my woodrail to be fun and addicting to play.

20200919_110444 (resized).jpg
20200919_110523 (resized).jpg
20200919_110452 (resized).jpg
20200919_110533 (resized).jpg

#257 1 year ago

Genco had some beautiful games, I actually have 8 Genco flyers, not easy to come by: https://nypinball.com/category/genco/?post_types=flyers
If any of you Genco collectors have any flyers I need by all means let me know if you would sell it.

champion baseball (pitch n bat): https://nypinball.com/flyers/champion-baseball/

fun fair: https://nypinball.com/flyers/fun-fair/

hi fly (pitch n bat): https://nypinball.com/flyers/hi-fly/

puddin head: https://nypinball.com/flyers/hi-fly/

quarterback: https://nypinball.com/flyers/quarterback-3/

rip snorter: https://nypinball.com/flyers/rip-snorter/

showboat: https://nypinball.com/flyers/showboat/

south pacific: https://nypinball.com/flyers/south-pacific/

1 month later
#258 1 year ago
Quoted from BallyCrazy:

Hi,
A friend of mine in France has a 1949 Black Gold Genco he wants to restore. The Backglass and playfield are in a pretty good shape.
Unfortunately, some parts are missing inside the backbox.
The best would be to get good quality pictures of a Black Gold backbox so he can identify the missing parts.
Pictures of a same era Genco pinball could also help.
And as soon as these parts are identified, he will of course be looking for them...
Anyone of the Genco Owners Club can help him ?
Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hi
Missing parts have been rebuilt. This nice Black Gold is back to service. Here it is :
Black Gold (resized).jpg

1 month later
#259 11 months ago

Repro backglass for 1941 Genco Captain Kidd.

I don't own this game, but the backglass art is so nice so I wanted to do a repro for a wall-hanger. The image was worked from a set of photos. The original glass had the usual fading of the orange tones. Since the original glass was printed using gold metallic ink, after printing -- three-layer direct print to plexiglass -- gold paint had to be manually applied to all the open areas. The final lights up real nice, even when being blasted by fluorescent tubes in the light box.
montage (resized).jpg
capt kidd 4 (resized).jpg
Captain Kidd gilding (resized).jpg
20210102_084248 (resized).jpg
captain kidd lit (resized).jpg

#260 11 months ago

Just beautiful! I remember seeing this game, or maybe it was just the framed backglass for sale in the outdoor flea market at the Allentown Show years ago. The late Bob Adams was offering it.

#261 11 months ago

Yup. Just the glass. I found a photo.

IMG_0091 (resized).JPG
#262 11 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Yup. Just the glass. I found a photo.
[quoted image]

There's a couple there I'd love to have.

2 weeks later
#263 10 months ago

My first Genco, 1934 Pontiac. She's about 98% done... still need to find/make a gate nail for the left side gate, print repro name card and "10 balls 5 cents" cards. And at some point, someone trimmed the legs down 10", so I will probably eventually make new legs for it. and it is missing a tilt indicator (goes in the hole at the left side of playfield at score plate), not sure I'll ever find a replacement. If you have one, let me know!

IMG_20210116_120828802 (resized).jpgIMG_20210116_120847844 (resized).jpgIMG_20210116_131251352 (resized).jpg20201129_180439 (1) (resized).jpg20201202_180209 (resized).jpg20201202_180222 (resized).jpg20201202_180234 (resized).jpg
#264 10 months ago

been playing and tuning my 1933 Genco Admiral.
If anyone has the instruction card, or even a photo of one outside of the adverts, please please let me know?

a very short-lived period where they tried to use British allwin track in a bagatelle

20191011_231422 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#265 8 months ago

Just bought a ‘57 Showboat, when I plug it in it automatically starts scoring. In the upper cabinet, the 100,000 relay( 2nd from the top in vertical row along the right) starts firing. This is my first real pin, but I wire motorcycles on the side, so I can do this but I just need a bit of information.

00507618-30C2-4E9F-BAA4-B7980120923E (resized).jpeg04C2463D-063C-4ABC-9F1C-B06D11B2B667 (resized).jpeg2A584C60-F9CD-4DFE-BEB4-B567AC5E0F08 (resized).jpeg2F89B390-324D-46FE-AFBA-7A48C4B8BF8C (resized).jpeg5F2EDD31-4D6E-4CD1-A5FE-64E83B5FD450 (resized).jpeg67D357CC-FCDE-41AD-A3B7-610DC39AB80D (resized).jpegA0C7C7F4-7ACC-4200-BCCB-BDC9767C1700 (resized).jpegF8AD819F-21CC-4483-A0B0-546581BF2DFC (resized).jpeg
#266 8 months ago
Quoted from Deafdumblind:

Just bought a ‘57 Showboat, when I plug it in it automatically starts scoring. In the upper cabinet, the 100,000 relay( 2nd from the top in vertical row along the right) starts firing.

You've most likely got a scoring switch stuck. Look on the playfield for something that has 100k value, then look on the underside of the playfield to see if that switch is stuck in the closed position.

#267 8 months ago

Just picked up a Genco 400, been going through and cleaning up the steppers (all were frozen) and cleaning up the rest of the relays.

Here are the parts I am looking for, if anyone has them or know where I can get them, that would be awesome.

- Push button to active the skill shot/flipper/kicker.
- Lamp/bulb socket (1 of the 4 general lighting)
- N29D Coils
- Original glass (I have a plain sheet, no artwork)
- Original glass balls

2 weeks later
#268 8 months ago

I'm a new subscriber to Pinside. I decided to dig out my collection of machines and get them working and playing again. The first game i found is a Genco Triple Action woodrail. I also have a Genco Jumpkin Jack upright game and a Genco Baseball theme shuffle lane. I have not seen another one of the shuffle lane games. It had a light pale green case and the game scores singles, doubles, triples and home runs when you slide a puck over the contacts on the lane. A motorized light that circles players on the head then simulates a player running the bases. I have not been able to find a production date or any name for this game. Does anyone know anything about this game. Thank you for your time. Steve

#269 8 months ago
Quoted from collieguy653221:

I'm a new subscriber to Pinside. I decided to dig out my collection of machines and get them working and playing again. The first game i found is a Genco Triple Action woodrail. I also have a Genco Jumpkin Jack upright game and a Genco Baseball theme shuffle lane. I have not seen another one of the shuffle lane games. It had a light pale green case and the game scores singles, doubles, triples and home runs when you slide a puck over the contacts on the lane. A motorized light that circles players on the head then simulates a player running the bases. I have not been able to find a production date or any name for this game. Does anyone know anything about this game. Thank you for your time. Steve

Maybe take a look here- http://www.pinrepair.com/baseball/index.htm

Look at the Genco Baseball Shuffle- http://www.pinrepair.com/baseball/gbbshuf.htm is it this one?

#270 8 months ago

Does anyone know anything about this game. Thank you for your time. Steve

I have (I think) 3 Genco arcade pieces, with a couple being pretty unique, but I don't have a baseball
shuffle by Genco. When you get it out, I'm looking forward to seeing pics..

#271 7 months ago

a Genco Baseball theme shuffle lane. I have not seen another one of the shuffle lane games.... I have not been able to find a production date or any name for this game.

In the October 7, 1950 issue of Cashbox, Genco Baseball Shuffle was listed in one distributor's ad of used equipment for sale, and the price was quite low. Several manufacturers were trying to extend the electrified shuffleboard beyond bowling themes in the 1950-51 era, including various attempts at a baseball theme. Apparently, none caught on. I don't know of a manufacturer who made a second attempt at a baseball-themed shuffle in this era, though United tried again in 1955 with Fifth Inning, and Chicago Coin tried again in 1960 with World Series. Long story short: if it's a Genco baseball-themed shuffle, there's probably only one candidate.

I'd like to know where collieguy653221 is from (update your profile). If in the Northeastern USA, please consider showing off any of your Genco pieces at Pintastic New England, if they are ready to play by mid-November. It would be great to see in public!
.................David Marston

#272 7 months ago

Wow. I have received more info on my Genco Baseball theme shuffle lane in the last week then I had ever found in the past. Thanks everyone for your feedback. I knew this was a odd ball game, just because I had not seen anything like it before. Plus I like the Gencos. I took some photos of the game today. Fill me in on what you think. Here are some of the things I did many years ago. Yes I did have the game working. The shuffle lane itself I repainted the graphics at the end where it scores and touched up the red and black paint with the instructions at the end where you stand. The entire lane was resurfaced and multiple coats of clearcoat material was put down and polished. Not sure what I used but it looks good still today. All the wood was sanded down including the original legs were clearcoated. The backglass is in good shape, not perfect with some flaking in the playfield. Dumb on my part I did repaint the case. I have owned this game for at least 30 years. I think I bought it from the original operator/ vendor that had it on route.
Check out the photos and teach me more. I can tell you this was a very simple machine to get working, very little electrical to it.
I have photos of the backglass/head, playfield/lane, label showing the distributor where the game was purchased I'm assuming and underside of the case. Steve

gecobowl2 (resized).jpggencobowl1 (resized).jpggencobowl3 (resized).jpggencobowl4 (resized).jpggencobowl5 (resized).jpg
#273 7 months ago

Another Genco just now added to my collection, the less-often-seen 'Dots' cabinet version of their 1948 Trade Winds, in the first pic here on the right beside the 'Feathers' version.
The 'Dots' backbox and backglass are two inches taller than 'Feathers' and the playfield is an inch wider and an inch shorter, which results in some minor layout differences between the two playfields. The playfield on this 'Dots' is in especially good condition, and where the orange ink on Genco playfields so often fades out, this one shows much less than normal. The backglass is a wreck, but I'll be able to easily adapt the art I did for the 'Feathers' repro backglass. The only difference is the addition of 1-inch blue bands top and bottom on the 'Dots' version.

20210415_185636 (resized).jpg20210415_185659 (resized).jpg20210415_185706 (resized).jpg20210415_185717 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#274 5 months ago

The repro backglass that I did for my '49 Genco Camel Caravan. Digitally printed in three layers directly to glass. The original glass (1st pic) had a lot of flaking and shifted or faded color, and tons of touchups. The rest of the pics show the new glass, unlit and lit on the game.

20201209_165518 (resized).jpg20210529_133052 (resized).jpg20210529_133015 (resized).jpg20210529_133024 (resized).jpg20210529_133032 (resized).jpg
#275 5 months ago
Quoted from tomcons:

The repro backglass that I did for my '49 Genco Camel Caravan. Digitally printed in three layers directly to glass. The original glass (1st pic) had a lot of flaking and shifted or faded color, and tons of touchups. The rest of the pics show the new glass, unlit and lit on the game.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is beautiful. Congratulations.

#276 5 months ago

You did a great job on that backglass tomcons. Well done!

4 weeks later
#277 4 months ago

Does anyone have a scorecard for a '48 Trade Winds? A pic would work. Thanks.

20210701_140839 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#278 87 days ago

Wow, you all have some beautiful games and excellent restoration skills! I had a 1940 Band Wagon for a New York minute but my EM repair skills are not up to snuff, so I traded it for a (working!) Ice Revue.

Quoted from Sheprd:

If anyone has a Flying Aces, let me know. I recently rescued one, and it's going to be a challenge to get this beast up and going.
Mac

Sheprd, how's that Flying Aces? That's one heck of a rarity, I think. Did you get it up and running?

Quoted from NYP:

If any of you Genco collectors have any flyers I need by all means let me know if you would sell it.

If you haven't already found one, I have a Puddin' Head flyer that I'm not particularly partial to now that I don't own a Puddin' Head.

IMG_2050 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#279 80 days ago

Struggling with a Genco 400, I picked this up as a project some time ago and put it aside because I could not figure it out.

I have cleaned and adjusted every contact, multiple times and replaced 3 relays to get it to where it is now. The game will power on, it will start a new game, it will up the ball count via the top rail switch and you hear the relays closing when a number is hit, but no scoring is happening. After the 6th ball, the game will end, again still no scoring. The add a ball works and ball count goes down and when reaching 0 the game stops.

I have checked that the scoring motor is engaged, but the orange or blue steppers do not seem to engage to advance the score. When a new game starts both the orange and blue stepper coils do reset each reel. So seems to be more the advance coils not engaging during play.

Anyone have a picture of a Relay Board (Coil side) as I can not find a schematic and I believe there is some creative rewiring that is causing me problems.

Any assistance would be great.

1 week later
#280 73 days ago

If anyone needs a 1941 Genco Victory backglass, please let me know. I picked one up recently while purchasing another pin and would prefer to see someone use it for their game instead of just hanging on a wall.

Any interest, please let me know.

Thanks

Rick

1 week later
#281 62 days ago
Quoted from rvalkenburg:

Struggling with a Genco 400

This is very similar to the issues I'm having with my Golden Nugget, which is an almost identical game. I've had it for a few years, and it's the only game I've not been able to get sorted out. It's stupidly complicated for what it is.

#282 61 days ago

Hello,

I have 41 South-Paw I'm going over.

Some of the wiring over the years has been changed, anybody have a schematic for this one or another game that would closely match?

Looks complete, should be fun!

Thanks!

1 month later
#283 22 days ago

RE: 1939 Bubbles

Hi group:
I cross post between here and Facebook by my name (Joel Garblik).
Recently acquired a nicely cosmetically restored Bubbles....beautiful glass, playfield and cabinet.
Game has set for years...much work done on it at one time. Looks like the mechanic did some serious re-arranging. New fuse blocks, new wiring in some areas. Have every reason to believe that it did perform reasonably well at one time.
I'm cleaning and freeing steppers, replacing bulbs, etc. Game does light up when plugged in and semi-resets.... that is, some, but not all, steppers reset back.
Half the playfield lights and some of the rollovers actually score.
None of the spring dead bumpers work.
When I manually press on some of the rollovers, I see faint and "strained" moving of the armature on the coil to advance the score. Scoring works fine when manually crediting/decrediting. Same with credits.
So...it appears as if there isn't enough electric going to the playfield.

Plenty of wires in the looms have disintegrating plastic on them and exposed wires. I carefully and temporarily covered all exposed wires with electrical tape to rule out any potential shorting.

I noticed that there is a disconnected arc suppression capacitor for some of the steppers. Was led to believe that it was there, at one time, to help with potential sparking and interference, but the game should still be able to fire up without it.

I'm suspicious that the weird bridge rectifier in there is not performing as it should. It would make sense to me to simply go ahead a replace it with a modern one. I have several (see specs) that I have replaced on other GENCO games without any issue and the flippers and kickers on the other games are great. But, this game has no flippers or kickers, so wondering if a modern bridge of the enclosed specs is a suitable replacement? Anyone have any idea of what is currently in my game? Do I need a different one.

Of course, no schematic, and the one picture on the IPDB shows a game with more missing parts than in my game. So any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Joel
[email protected]

20210925_092832 (resized).jpeg20210927_124231 (resized).jpeg20211115_163132 (resized).jpg20211115_163205 (resized).jpg20211115_163125 (resized).jpg20211115_163254 (resized).jpg20211115_163319 (resized).jpg20211115_163333 (resized).jpg20211115_163447 (resized).jpg20211115_163512 (resized).jpgbubbles capacitor? (resized).jpegbubbles capacitor2 (resized).jpegBubbles inside backbox (resized).jpegGenco rectifier (resized).png
There are 283 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside