Well. I've started work on this puppy. Last project before I go into hibernation for the winter.
Backbox has been disassembled and cleaned with Mean Green. What was once black on the top is now yellow again. The back glass had some severe peeling but, fortunately, it was only in the red points area which will be easy to touch up. In the mean time I have sealed it with Krylon Triple Thick to prevent further issues.
They're are four stepper units in the back box. I've cleaned the credit unit which needed a new reset spring since it was gone. I retrofitted a Williams one which, in manual testing, appears to work. We'll see how it does once the game is operating. When I moved onto the 1-9 stepper I found it completely frozen. Neither arm would come off. WD-40 nor carb cleaner for that matter could dislodge either arm from their pressed shaft. Wiggling just caused the shaft to wiggle as well. Oh man, I don't want to break this! I ended up removing the assembly from the back box which involved desoldering ten wires. I needed to do this to get some leverage on the arms.
Once removed I stuck the f*cker in the vice and soaked the joints in PB Blaster. Some pliers, screwdriver at the base, more wiggling and pulling and MORE PB Blaster and both were free with just a minimal amount of pry marks in the steel. Thank you PB Blaster!
Reassembled...and it feels so good.