Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Pin-up
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1703 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1702 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5016a (resized).jpg
    IMG_5015 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5013 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5014 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5012a (resized).jpg
    22016379_10211845442344400_243599839_n (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Hi all,

My first post in this section, as up until now I've just been working on EM Pinballs.

Picked up this Big Top today. Man it was so much bigger and heavier than I am used to. My wife is going to go nuts when she comes home tomorrow and sees it in the garage (could not face getting it down to basement). It "looks" fairly original with nothing major missing.

22016379_10211845442344400_243599839_n (resized).jpg22016379_10211845442344400_243599839_n (resized).jpg

Appears the cabinet as been hand-painted.

I was just interested in opinions:is it tricky to restore? For example, seems very difficult to be able to get into the box - does it come apart, or just the two big panels on the back and the side box?

how does the back glass come out?

Does PBR stock manuals, schematics, etc - I'm assuming some of the switches and coils can be substituted by them if needed.

Any and all advice welcome?

Finally, are they worth much?

#2 6 years ago

I went through quite a few gun games, but no Big Top, however
    I had played one. If I had your machine, I'd put time into it..
    The gun games that I went through, the mechanics come out
    to more easily work on. Does any of the side wooden glass moldings
    (or the top) have a couple of screws. If so, it probably has a small
    lock bar in the back door to release the wooden molding once the
    screws are out. If you were closer, I wouldn't mind trading you something
    for it, not really because it's worth a whole lot, but just that it's quite
    vintage and I don't remember ever owning a Genco gun game.. (T)

#3 6 years ago

I have found that fixing up EM arcades just as enjoyable as EM pins. It is nice to mix it up. I only worked on EM pins until A Sea Raider was basically givin to me. I didn't have a real interest in it at first. Once I started in on it, it was just pure fun, and I now have many EM arcades.
    These games are all designed to be maintained and usually come apart fairly easily. Alot of the parts are very similar to pinball machines. With the internet, it seems most parts/scematics/people-who-will- help, can be found on almost anything.
    I have no idea of the value, but with EM stuff it seems to always be more a labor of love, than money makers.
    I usually spend A LOT less money and time rebuilding EM arcades compared to EM pinballs as there are not as many parts.
    Just from the one pic, it looks in great shape, especially the glass.
    Looks like a fun project!

#4 6 years ago

OK, I'm in. Ordered manual and schematic from "jeff" on ebay.

Machine super cool, loads of steppers to clean!

But still no idea how to do some basics, any advice welcome:

1. Backglass, so Mopar do i actually have to unscrew these screws to get the glass out?
    IMG_5012a (resized).jpgIMG_5012a (resized).jpg
    (I thought there may be some sort of release on the back, but there board with the score reels looks firmly nailed on
    IMG_5014 (resized).JPGIMG_5014 (resized).JPG

2. How to get the guts out to clean:
    IMG_5015 (resized).JPGIMG_5015 (resized).JPG
    When I look closely, on each side is a wing nut and a bit brass bolt, seems somehow things remove?
    IMG_5016a (resized).jpgIMG_5016a (resized).jpg

3 Finally, it looks like whole top when the gun sits can open somehow (see it has a retaining chain below) but I cannot see how it moves, especially as the backglas frame seems to be in the way of it tipping up (if indeed it supposed to tip up!)
    IMG_5013 (resized).JPGIMG_5013 (resized).JPG

Sorry if these are such basic questions, but its like starting all over again

#5 6 years ago

I used to have a Genco Rifle Gallery which is of the same vintage.

The entire gun assembly comes off and the entire lower assembly will come out in one piece after disconnecting the wiring too. You should replace the selenium rectifier with a modern Bridge rectifier, and keep an eye on the condition of the connectors. Replace any wires that have dried out with cracking insulation.

It'll be a project, but you'll have a very cool gun game when you're done!

#6 6 years ago

Tullster, thanks - how does that gun assembly come off, do you remember? And the backglass? Plus I assume the rectifier is that cool circles thing bottom right? Will the schematic tell me what i need to order?

(So many questions, sorry!)

#7 6 years ago

You're on the right track with the glass. Remove the screws & trim and CAREFULLY slide it out so the paint on the backside doesn't get scratched. From my experience, leave the glass alone for now... If something happens to it, you'll probably never find another.

The Rifle Gallery has a different type cabinet front. The coin door was on the right side, and to remove that gun mechanism, you'd open the coin door and remove a wing nut that would enable you to swing it up away from you (it was hinged on the left side). You'd disconnect the wiring, unscrew the hinge and safety chain and the entire works comes off.

Here's a link to Clay's website that has some good information about changing the rectifier and basic EM tips...

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm#emparts

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from 4Max:

do i actually have to unscrew these screws to get the glass out?

Yes, I had/have many machines that the glass came out that way. Most have a lock release
    bar inside the cab after the screws are out, but I hadn't noticed one inside your game..
    I did have to clean some components in tight spots on some machines, but for the most
    part, the component boards were able to come out of the machine..
    Like mentioned, if the glass has to rub while sliding out, make sure that it's the front of
    the glass. There may be release screws behind the backglass to excess the score reel board
    more easily. I would have figured maybe that board had lower hinges, but I didn't notice any..
    It'll take time to go through, but she's worth it..

#9 6 years ago

Excellent info, thanks both of you. I will leave the glass for now, but assumed I'd need to do it at some point to clean the mirror behind?

Tullster, re: swing gun away - ah i see! Any clues or order of attack for the back where my photos show that wing nut, but more interestingly those large sort of brass bolts that seem to allow something to slide/move in a certain way?

And I've used Clays site so many times for pinballs, but obviously always skipped over the Genco rectifier - who'd need to know that?

2 years later
    #10 4 years ago

Any chance you guys know what Remington stock was originally used on the Genco rifle games? I have a Davy Crockett that has a cracked stock..... haven't been able to find to much info on what the actual stock model is. It's up and running great, would be nice to have a firm stock in hand. hmmm.....

#11 4 years ago

Model confirmed. Remington 514. Paint on the barrel was so thick you couldn't see there were markings on it. Sand off the black paint and there it is!

IMG_1702 (resized).JPGIMG_1702 (resized).JPGIMG_1703 (resized).JPGIMG_1703 (resized).JPG
    #12 4 years ago

I'm also looking for 2 coils for some of the Davy Crockett rifle games I'm getting up and running. The coil is used for the gun recoil effect. The coil has 2 numbers. One is a stock number of 05-2312, the other is a reference number of J-501. They may be identified either way. If you have one, or two, I'd be happy to purchase!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genco-big-top-worth-restoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.