You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gem.gif
#1 9 years ago

Ughhhh
How do you land the Gem shot on Tron?
It seems the left loop puts too much speed on the ball and you need to get it from the Quorro shot.

Any tips?

Thanks

Mike

#2 9 years ago

You got it, Quorra to Gem. The ball needs to be moving fairly slowly at the top flipper. Gem rewards patience!

You can also plunge the shot and if you have a pro I'm told it's possible to bank it off the TRON targets.

gem.gifgem.gif
#3 9 years ago

Start quorra multiball and light cycle multiball, get your add-a-balls at the recognizer for 4 ball multiball, and use your ball save time to flip like mad. Hope a ball randomly goes in.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

You got it, Quorra to Gem

yep that is it and when you hit it! ahhhhhhhhh feels so good!

#5 9 years ago

Nudge it off the wall as it comes round from the loop. If you can get it clear of the wall and floating past the flipper instead of rolling along it it is a much higher percentage shot.

And never miss an opportunity to shoot for it if the ball just finds itself floating near the flipper in general play. It sometimes gets hard-wired into a player's brain that the Gem shot needs to be set up and often the ball will just be sitting there near the third flipper and because it hasn't gone through the setup phase it won't occur to the player to have a bash at it. I see my kids do this all the time.

#6 9 years ago

On the pro you can bank it in from the right flipper off the left standup targets takes practice but it can be done. You can also sneak one in off of a 3/4 plunged ball. Done right, it will hit the gem switch and not follow the orbit.

#7 9 years ago

Quorra to Gem. Double the pleasure double the fun.

#8 9 years ago

All the ways mentioned above .

You can actually bank it off the drop targets on the LE . Just have to have the right targets up at the time .

Another way to get it is rebound it off the tip of the upper left flipper . Trap the ball on the right flipper , hold the left flipper in the whole time and aim for the very tip of the flipper . Hit it in the right spot and it can bounce off through Gem .

You can also backhand it from the lower left flipper to the tip of the upper left flipper ( remember to hold the flipper in when you backhand it ) and get it through .

Note that the Gem shot is made far more easier when the Recogniser target bank is down too .

#9 9 years ago

I think this game is the best of the recent stern games.

Thanks for all the tips.

#10 9 years ago

You can with lots of practice and frustration plunge the gem shot twice(back to back on ball start) with creative use of ball save. You want it to sort of just ever so lightly drop off the elevated end of shooter lane you normally use to roll back for skill shot. If done correctly you will sort of slide into the back way over the gem switch.

As said previoulsy slower speed and getting off the guides is helpful, pretty close to top of flipper. On occasions you will have nights where you can make this shot like you actually have it down and on other nights you will want to sell this game because you cant hit this shot(people on pinside have sold this pin due to frustrations over gem). On those days better to play something else and remember how fast, smooth and awesome the theme and sound integration is.

Do a search for gem shot tips ect and you will find mire threads but they mainly say the same things.

#11 9 years ago

and make sure your E target hasn't got a little right lean on it - it can block the shot from the top flipper

#12 9 years ago

It's a bullshit shot and total luck it's the reason why I got rid of my Tron Le. It was always the only shot left before I could finally start sea of simulation and if you don't make that shot there's nothing else to shoot for.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Shado1w:

It's a bullshit shot and total luck it's the reason why I got rid of my TRON LE. It was always the only shot left before I could finally start sea of simulation and if you don't make that shot there's nothing else to shoot for.

#14 9 years ago

On the machine I play on fairly regularly, you can make it by banking the ball off of the lowered upper flipper.

If the return from the Quorra shot is too fast, try nudging at the apex of the loop. The ball should rattle around a bit and come back down slower.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Shado1w:

It's a bullshit shot and total luck it's the reason why I got rid of my TRON LE. It was always the only shot left before I could finally start sea of simulation and if you don't make that shot there's nothing else to shoot for.

No way. It's a hard shot, but it's not luck! You *can* get lucky, sure, but it's a callable shot too.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No way. It's a hard shot, but it's not luck! You *can* get lucky, sure, but it's a callable shot too.

When it's a full moon and the stars aligne just right then it's a makeable shot. I challenge anyone to make a YouTube video and out of 10 shots see how many shots are actually made when they call it. That would be a fun little bet. Aurich are you up for a friendly bet or if you like we can wager on it. I say no one can make six shots to Gem that they call out of 10.

#17 9 years ago

Aurich I just saw that you have a pro I had an LE. I've never tryed banking it on a pro. I'm talking off the upper left flipper.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Shado1w:

It's a bullshit shot and total luck it's the reason why I got rid of my Tron Le. It was always the only shot left before I could finally start sea of simulation and if you don't make that shot there's nothing else to shoot for.

What would be the challenge if it were an easy shot? " Whoopee! I made it to SOS for the 50th game in a row because I can nail the Gem shot time after time".

I enjoy the Quorra to Gem combo. Some days I nail it, bam, bam, bam. Other days I can't, but it keeps me coming back, and it makes SOS an actual achievement.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Shado1w:

Aurich I just saw that you have a pro I had an LE. I've never tryed banking it on a pro. I'm talking off the upper left flipper.

I suck at banking it anyways. I'm not even good at the shot!

#20 9 years ago

My two cents: I usually go after the ramps (for an eventual extra ball) and Gem when not in a mode, which is best done at the beginning of the game on the first ball. I prefer to shoot from the right flipper and bank off the drop targets (LE version), but after a couple of quick shots to the recognizer to get it down. I've gotten to where I can usually hit Gem once every 4 or 5 tries. So, I try to get a couple of shots on Gem early on, before and during the easier Zuse and Clu modes. Once I start Quorra which I've been building up to previously setting up the right ramp, I quickly hit the heck out of the recognizer to get it back down again and flood the field with balls. Then I keep going after the drop targets and upper left area around the flipper, and usually I can get a quick Gem shot or two out of the mess, perhaps on a ball that barely drifted to the upper left flipper, a bank off of the drops, or just luck. At this point the first shot to Gem usually starts her mode and completes Quorra and the second shot completes Gem. Yeah, there's not a lot of skill to it, but there is a lot of strategy or technique. Whenever I start Gem without a multiball going, I get all nervous, get in too much of a hurry, and rarely complete the mode. Getting her started a second time.....well, forget about it. Better luck trying in SoS.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Shado1w:

QQ...u mad bro?

Guess that 10x bonus I had the other day didn't happen either LOL.

#22 9 years ago

I have always found it an easy shot on my machine, but yesterday I played a different Tron and it was impossible. One thing I noticed on this other machine was that the upper flipper was pressed up all the way against the left wall as far as it can go. Mine sits a little bit off when at rest, in a way that it continues the angle of the left orbit ball guide.

#23 9 years ago

Sometimes you play Tron, but mostly Tron plays you.

#24 9 years ago

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!! F U GEM SHOT!!!!!!!!!!

#25 9 years ago

Oops I forgot to add a

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

You got it, Quorra to Gem. The ball needs to be moving fairly slowly at the top flipper. Gem rewards patience!
You can also plunge the shot and if you have a pro I'm told it's possible to bank it off the TRON targets.

gem.gif

i've banked it off the drop targets on LE
always accidental of course...

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

i've banked it off the drop targets on LE

Me too!

I love showing people that it can be done.
When I owned a Tron LE, I became very proficient with the bank shot.

Just another reason why Tron is such a fantastic game.

Marcus

3 years later
#28 5 years ago

Oh man, I had too many browser windows open and posted in the wrong one.

Er... that Gem shot sure is hard, huh?

#29 5 years ago

Ha I was thinking this was going to be a post aboot DI sim card shot

#30 5 years ago

Sometimes you play tron, but mostly.. tron plays you

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gem-shot-tron?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.