a09f3090-fe47-441e-b287-445f5fc1f45aphoto.jpeg
F5D6EF53-59AD-40E3-9C07-48725E9D8B42 (resized).jpeg
20221203_220707 (resized).jpg
A1455A32-DA4B-4E2B-A54F-C7F9EA7D808F (resized).jpeg
EF3421AB-198D-415B-8BF4-66B7F7C17731 (resized).jpeg
6CF71D4B-8C33-470C-B31E-E6CCDF510506 (resized).jpeg
591FE9C9-6A3C-4D52-A363-19749AC8C65A (resized).jpeg
74E0E499-A219-4F00-8DFC-22E6B7B79E18 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mixmastapj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#185 6 years ago

Have to do a flipper rebuild on this guy, VUK in gift of gab is a little spotty and the excellent ray lights are hit or miss. Time to do a light shop.

Where did you get those orange rubbers/dark blue flippers Izzy. They look pretty great and would probably want to do something similar in my WCS as well.

3 weeks later
#188 6 years ago

Had a flipper die on me recently (broken link on coil piston)

Bought the marco replacement kit. Coil looked fine (and the wiring job by the previous owner was a shit show, so I opted not to replace it or the leaf switch). Replaced the coil stop and the piston, fired it up, no dice.

I imagine there's something else wrong because I'm not even getting a reaction from the button press. The wiring in this thing is a mess, but I can trace back things to places pretty well, have a voltmeter, and a soldering iron, just don't really know where to start looking.

FWIW. Game was working great, left flipper got stuck in the up position (i imagine this is when the break happened) game was turned off 30 seconds later. hasn't been turned on since.

Ideas?

Disregard! Was looking at the wrong fuse!

#189 6 years ago

New issue.

After getting the whole thing back together, I enjoyed a handful of games before the flasher in the Gift of Gab section of the MixMaster as well the flasher in the excellent ray stopped working. In taking it apart, I noticed some pinched yellow wires along the route. I stripped and joined them together with a butt connector with the multimeter reading a solid connection.

It would appear that everything is making it to these connectors. I took off the mixmaster and voltmeter'd everything to the connectors. Then I checked the flasher connector on the main board (the second one in from the left was this light in particular) and everything came back clean... all the way down to the socket itself. Swapped the bulbs around, the other bayonet sockets in there were working fine, doesn't matter what I put in this one though

All fuses came back clean.

Any ideas on what to try next?

#191 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

What happens when you ground the metal tab of Q-31?

Gonna plead stupid here

How do I ground the metal tab of Q-31? I got a length of wire to jump whatever needed, just don't know the most efficient way to do this, or where Q-31 is. Couldn't find it on the board or the manual.

#193 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Here is a pic of a Cpu board that I have circled Q-31 in red. I also included a pic of the transistor so you can see the metal tab on the top. If you turn on the game and put it in solenoid test and lock it on solenoid 12 a/c select and then hold one end of the jumper wire on the ground braid and hold the other end to the metal tab of Q-31. Each time the a/c relay clicks the the flash bulb should light, if the flash bulb doesn't light then you have a wiring issue. If your flash lamp does light then you have a Cpu board problem.

I wanted to preemptively thank you for how detailed and perfect this is. I'll try and post as soon as I get home. Thanks again.

#194 6 years ago

"Good" news is that it didn't light. Guess I gotta dig harder for this lighting problem.

Would this be connected to the excellent ray flasher as well? Seems odd they would both die at the same time, so perhaps looking at that will fix this one?

#196 6 years ago

Didn't break out the multimeter yet before I noticed the resistor at R2 was slightly disconnected from the board. Put it in a flasher test and pressed it so it connected. Flasher (in the mixmaster gab section) lit right up.

Is this just a resolder and forget it job? Or should I look to replace it anyway? It looked like the rod just broke off the solder joint, but if that's because of excess heat bc of a larger problem, I'd rather not risk it.

Also, guess I better start inspecting the wiring for the ray.

#198 6 years ago

The pin and glob of solder on there looked ample enough that I wasn't even going to take it out -_- but it's prob definitely safer to just check everything while we're in there and yank it out

IMG_20180407_102735 (resized).jpgIMG_20180407_102735 (resized).jpg

#200 6 years ago

I was able to solder it on without replacing, but am gonna order a couple anyway since that resistor heating up and unsoldering itself is a pretty known problem. Found the wiring error on the excellent ray flasher, although the ray bulbs in general are a little finicky (usually just wiggling the connector a little bit fixes the problem, might need a new connector).

Cab is better than ever since I got it Love this game. Thanks so much for your help Grumpy!

#202 6 years ago

Does the switch in the back right loop actually do anything? Just noticed mine was mixed in with the other wires and the bracket appears to be missing. Was gonna pick up the switch (which I could easily find in the manual) but was unable to determine exactly which bracket goes there. Is it the same one on the outlanes?

EDIT: Welp. In trying to find out what that switch did, I found another switch down there, the one that apparently mounts behind the wall on the ramp before the mixmaster.

Additionally, went watching videos trying to figure out what they did, and realized my GI doesn't do nearly the cool stuff some of these other Dr Dudes do.

When I bought the game, I immediately sent it out for repair (bought a game with a real hack job of wires) Repair guy got it running and the GI works great, it's just 100% constant all the time. No blinking at all. Gotta do some more digging when I'm not super tired.

#203 6 years ago

Since GRUMPY is clearly the MVP of this thread, I'm feeling a bit ashamed of taking all of his sage advice (Needed a new relay board for the above problem, but more importantly, we troubleshooted all the other possibilities along the way via the board, solder joints, etc.)

Where do you guys find the pinouts (what controls what) on the CPU and Interconnect boards? The schematic PDFs are a bit hard for my novice eyes to read. Did everyone just buy a manual so that they were much better than the scans people have uploaded? Or is everything online satisfactory and I'm just not looking hard enough? I did something stupid while doing something smart and need to find the stops the mixmaster motor cables make and can't figure it out once it hits the loom. Not sure if it's wiriing/triage board/fuse/whatever related. Have a multimeter and know how to use it, just don't know where to use it

2 weeks later
#222 5 years ago

Anyone got an extra ring and rod assembly for the pop bumpers? Mine had a screw broken off in one of them and the clear cap keeps bouncing around on it since it's only got 1 screw holding it in.

Doesn't look like anyone has any in stock at the moment, but if I'm missing it somewhere, let me know and I'll buy 3. I'd rather just rebuild them all with new ones all at the same time, but if I just gotta make do and grab a used one, that works too.

A-12854

detail (resized).jpgdetail (resized).jpg

4 years later
#685 1 year ago

Can someone post a pic of their Right slingshot switches wiring?

My right slingshot upper switch (and bracket) was removed by a previous owner for god knows why. Just gotta figure out if I need a dioded switch there or not, and what should connect to what piece. Bunch of wire with electrical tape sitting here, just gotta solder the right pieces to the thing. Thanks!

PXL_20220728_165458547 (resized).jpgPXL_20220728_165458547 (resized).jpgPXL_20220728_165510974 (resized).jpgPXL_20220728_165510974 (resized).jpg
#687 1 year ago

Perfect! Thanks so much!

1 month later
#701 1 year ago

Dealing with a sometimes slow mixmaster on first run of the day. Not sure if it's short on power or if it's a dirty motor. Ideas on where to check first?

#703 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

How much ball action do you guys get in the Mixmaster? When the ball enters the MM on my DD, it almost always heads straight down the ramp without tagging a target. On occasion, it might tag a few, but to get a bunch of hits that are meaningful - almost never.
The motor and RPM are perfectly fine, and I have Titan silicone bands in there too. The spinning disk is original, but not torn. Could it be worn out and too slick? Does that surface need to be more course to grab the ball more?
I know folks say they just keep banging at the MM to collect their greens, reds and yellows, but if I used that strategy, it would take all damn day.
So are there any tricks to get more ball action in the MM?
Thanks

I bought the titan rubber for the center cork or whatever, def gave it more bounce than before, but still get plenty of duds like youve experienced

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carpentersville, IL
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Boards
PinSound

$ 18.95
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Listowel Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mixmastapj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/geeks-wanted-dr-dude-club?tu=mixmastapj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.