a09f3090-fe47-441e-b287-445f5fc1f45aphoto.jpeg
F5D6EF53-59AD-40E3-9C07-48725E9D8B42 (resized).jpeg
20221203_220707 (resized).jpg
A1455A32-DA4B-4E2B-A54F-C7F9EA7D808F (resized).jpeg
EF3421AB-198D-415B-8BF4-66B7F7C17731 (resized).jpeg
6CF71D4B-8C33-470C-B31E-E6CCDF510506 (resized).jpeg
591FE9C9-6A3C-4D52-A363-19749AC8C65A (resized).jpeg
74E0E499-A219-4F00-8DFC-22E6B7B79E18 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider killerrobots.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#430 3 years ago

Hey, I just finished a ground up restorations of a Dr. Dude and I had some question and comments now that it is playing:

1. Why is this game so underrated? I see no love for this game. Great theme, great callouts, and fun to play.

2. Just saw the post above about GI issues. I had a bunch. What I learned was that the GI sockets bent tab can easily get pulled into the center and short things out. I had an intermittent problem that every time I pulled the wire harness in the wrong way it shorted. I went through every GI socket and made sure they weren't close. I also replaced my security bar and if I accidently closed the coin door when the glass was off and the lever was open it would hit and short the coin GI.

3. Does anyone know where to find replacement displays? My internet search was unsuccessful.

4. After playing for a while I am confused about the Jackpot meter and "Dude" level? How do these effect jackpots? I think the Dude level goes up every time you get a multi-ball but I am not sure. What make the Jackpot go up?

#432 3 years ago

Hey thanks, they are out of stock a bunch of places but I think I found them at the Pinball Wizard.

#436 3 years ago

I notice the difficulty effects things as well. Alas, it may always be a mystery

2 months later
#494 3 years ago

Here you go.

0120211316_HDR (resized).jpg0120211316_HDR (resized).jpg0120211316a_HDR (resized).jpg0120211316a_HDR (resized).jpg
#500 3 years ago

Those games are filthy, were they routed in a coal mine?

#502 3 years ago

I know you said the fuse seemed normal but first thing is to pull the fuse for the GIs and test them separate from the game. It is not always obvious and of course the easiest fix. I personally had a lot of issue with the GI sockets shorting. It is really easy to do as they swivel. The eject solonoid may have moved something. However, I would expect this to blow a fuse.

If the fuses are all right I would scan the area around the upper left looking for loose wires.

Then it is time to start checking voltages...

However, someone more experienced than me may have a better idea. I start simple and move up.

#511 3 years ago

I would touch up and clear it but it is a lot of work. I did mine (worse shape than yours) and it came out in the end. I wouldn't clear it unless you touched it up well. You don't want to bury any defects under the clear. Also I wouldn't consider anything other than 2 Part Automative. I messed up mine up initially just using acrylic clear. The 2PACC takes some work but looks great when done. You need to be very careful about safety though.

For me depopulating was a lot of work too so once you have it stripped you might want to just do the whole thing.

I would note that to my knowledge there is no place to buy new playfields or hardtops. Dr. Dude just doesn't seem to be popular enough. So you need to take care of the one you got.

One challenge on Dr. Dude is that a lot of the art is in the "Pop Art" style with a bunch of dots and it is hard to touch up. The simplest way to do it is to repaint the entire area in one solid color. It is not obvious to the player but is not original. I "faked" it in some areas and it looks okay (great from a distance) but you can tell close up.

Otherwise wax and play.

Here is my before and after around Molecular Million where I "faked" the pattern.

0919202057_HDR (resized).jpg0919202057_HDR (resized).jpg1019201434_HDR (resized).jpg1019201434_HDR (resized).jpg

However, here you can see it as a whole playfield and it look pretty good.

0928201103_HDR (resized).jpg0928201103_HDR (resized).jpg

You can see how everything is a solid color without the dots but you would only know if you were comparing directly against an original.

#514 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

That 3rd photo appeared between me starting to write my message and then sending it... I can see in that last photo that you stripped it totally...

Yeah I stripped it totally. Some people just strip the top and then mask the holes but it is tricky and handling the playfield with all the stuff on the back is a pain. However if you fully strip it you don't need to mask anything. The clear doesn't really mess up the holes and you can easily re-drill any small holes.

You can see my labeling of the wire harness in the back.

1105202026b (resized).jpg1105202026b (resized).jpg

#515 3 years ago

Actually, I just noticed that is Taxi but you get the idea.

#516 3 years ago

That 3rd photo appeared between me starting to write my message and then sending it... I can see in that last photo that you stripped it totally...

If you are interested I layed out the whole process and lesson-learned here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-dude-first-time-restoration#post-6092450

#520 3 years ago

Definitely very interesting to read!! I haven't read the whole thing yet, but got to the point shortly after the initial clearcoat disaster... I felt your pain... I think I would have thrown the playfield on the trash at that point and stripped the cab and head for parts and put it down to experience... well done for persevering!! You certainly came though with shining lights, literally! Interesting that you de-soldered the wiring harness... I've decided to go the whole hog and strip the playfield down to the wood for application of a 2PACC, but my intension was to not de-solder anything, just to unscrew everything from the back of the playfield while it's lying down on the floor, then move all the wiring across with everything attached and just leave it there on the floor and move it all back into position when the playfield's done... I've got enough floor space in the basement for this. Some mechanisms would come apart in this process, like the slings and Big Shot, so those bits would go in a bucket. Certainly not got such a good workshop set up as you though, that's awesome!! Thanks for the inspiration and motivation!!

You can see why I recommended the 2PACC. I think the key is the order of operations, this is what I would recommend:

1. Clean the Playfield
2. Remove and replace worn inserts (make sure they are flush)
3. Light coat of clear (this is critical to avoid any chemical reactions and have a consistent surface for painting and decals)
4. Touch up paint
5. New decals
6. Final coat/s of clear
7. Sand and polish

Also, you are right, you should de-solder as little a possible. On my second one I only disconnected the heavy mechs (i.e. coils) but kept all the lighting sockets and switches on the harness. I did a lot of labeling and it went back together really easy. I like the idea of connectors for future ease of repair but resoldering once you get used to it is easy.

The simple method I used was to put masking tape on the coil before soldering and give it a number (PB 1 for Pop Bumper 1) and then label each wire connection with a 1 or 2. Then label the wires as they come off as PB 1 - 1. Then you know exactly where they should go.

Coil (resized).jpgCoil (resized).jpg

I would also recommend labeling where the wire harness clips location and orientation so you can remember the overall routing. I put a label on the playfield like this:

clip (resized).jpgclip (resized).jpg

And I also put a label on the wire harness and put a wire tie to mark the location.

Harness (resized).jpgHarness (resized).jpg

It takes time up front but goes back together really easy.

#522 3 years ago

Thanks for the additional tips! I've not started tearing the stuff off the rear yet, so I'll be implementing your advice!

Feel free to ask me any questions here or you can PM me. You should read through VID's playfield info as well but I found it a little overwhelming (there is a lot) and your situation will always be a little different.

Be very careful with the clear coat, it is super toxic. You need to make a booth and get good full body PPE. I made a booth in my garage.

1124202037_HDR (resized).jpg1124202037_HDR (resized).jpg
#525 3 years ago

I was thinking of taking the playfield to a car body repair shop and get them to apply the 2PACC... not sure of the practicality of that though, need to investigate... using local businesses for something they don't normally do is a bit challenging for me because I don't speak the local language, so it adds a complication... I might get lucky and find a shop where at least one guy speaks English, otherwise I'd have to go there with a local buddy, which is doable, but in COVID times, not so easy!

Yeah I thought seriously about doing the same but you will have to make at least two trips. One for the initial layer and one after you paint and decal.

I don't know the laws of the Czech Rep. but it might be illegal to buy 2PACC as a individual.

#527 3 years ago

Unfortunately I only read your chronology list after I've already done some touching up... so I appear to have already got things in the wrong order... but I'm a bit confused about the criticality of that order... if I clear first, then touch up, then clear a 2nd time, that 2nd coat of clear will come into direct contact with the touch up paint, and any chemical reactions that might happen will happen then... so what's the difference between touching up onto the wood and clearing over that compared to touching up onto clear and clearing over that?

That is not the end of the world but there are two problems that I ran into. The first is that the original surface (even after you clean it) has wax and other contaminates on it. These can react with the clear coat and cause problems like "fish eyes". Also, sometimes people wax their playfield with stuff that has silicone in it (minwax for example). This also reacts badly with the clear coat. I believe this is what happened on mine with the acrylic clear. So you want to do a thin base layer of clear first so you can touch up any issues and not have to worry about it from then on.

The second issue I had was that my paint kept coming off on my frisket. The frisket is low-tack but it can still pull up old paint. So you are trying to fix one area and you pull up the frisket and have created an issue somewhere else. This quickly becomes counter-productive. If you get that first layer of clear down it locks the old paint in place.

However if you have done some touch-up it should be fine but I wouldn't do all of them and then hope the clear coat works. The worst case is you do everything and then take it to a shop and they cover it and there are fish-eyes everywhere and you have to start again.

#529 3 years ago
Quoted from wcwinans:

supermoot
I'll check out the interconnect board when i finish with work. i did give it a quick one over after it happened, is there anything inparticular i should look for? take off the whole board?
killerrobots if the GI fuse was blown, wouldnt both sides of the GI lights go out?

I think there are two fuses. Mine went out only on the left.

#531 3 years ago

I would hope that the body shop would be aware of this possible issue and would do a thin layer first... afterall, if I gave it to them to do the first layer, then take it back to do touch-ups, then this first layer would be susceptible to 'fish eyes' (Inthink it's what we call 'orange peel') anyway, so I don't see how taking it back to do touch-up on top of it would eliminate the problem...
I can see the benefit in sealing in the original later so you can apply 'frisket' though, this makes 100% sense... but in my case my touch-up areas are pretty small, so I'm not using the frisket method, just using my (not too great) hand... see attached... I hate doing those thin black lines, and can see how carefully cut frisket could help here, but I'm too lazy!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I don't want to come across as some all-knowing expert, I am not. I have done two playfields and one was a bit of a disaster. However I did do a Dr. Dude which likely has the same paint, age, substrate as your machine and I had issues. My impression is the first light coat of clear is an insurance policy against future issues. But I see your logic and maybe you will be fine. There is ton of stuff on Pinside about clearcoating (in some ways, too much) but you should read through Vids guide. It seems to be the "bible". Also you might check out this video by Cary Hardy and see some of the issues he had:

Ultimately it is up to you, it will probably be fine to do one last coat but you should know there might be some risks that there are issues.

#533 3 years ago
Quoted from Budwin:

Here is something you don't see everyday.
The Doctor is in surgery !
I went the NOS playfield (Diamond Plate) route for my restore.[quoted image]

Just curious but where did you find a NOS playfield. I couldn't find one when I looked.

#540 3 years ago

Thanks for your continuing support and advice, I appreciate it. Sorry if I came across as doubting what you said, I just like to understand what I'm doing and why I'm doing it, so I question stuff if I'm not sure it's relevant to the way I'm doing things, and in this case, so far, because I'm not using the frisket method, then making two trips to the body shop is probably not necessary because it seems like touching up first is fine, the guy just has to do a thin layer first to prevent 'fish eye'... so where do I find 'Vids guide'? I'd like to read that!
Thanks again!

Here you go. You will need to skip past a bunch of tangents. Just read the stuff he writes and ignore the comments.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

#543 3 years ago

Looking good, you are committed now.

4 months later
#570 2 years ago
Quoted from Ace8Track:

I just went ahead and made one!
[quoted image]

I suspect that wire will be too soft and won't keep its shape after playing for a while. If it doesn't work I measured the wire on my machine at it is .08", I used this hardened SS wire from MCM (89085K86):

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/127/4057/

1 month later
#572 2 years ago
Quoted from slgerber:

After I brought him home and a good cleaning and de-hacking I have the Dr. running. I have a display issue. The message that says "The Doctor is in" is missing the the 'D' (The octor is in). I have ran the display test and all of the segments work properly. Probably why the message was shut off. Any ideas where to look?

One simple fix that has worked for me in the past is simply to remove and replace the connectors on both sides. I think they get a little corrosion or something. Probably won't work but worth trying.

#574 2 years ago
Quoted from slgerber:

i gave it a try, no joy. figured it was worth a shot. I changed the message to custom and the first line is still messed up. I'm thinking may a ram issue.

Well it is always worth trying the easy stuff first. I would think about reposting in the System 11 club as this is a generic problem and I think this Dr. Dude group is relatively small.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-club

Or you can always ask Lloyd, he has helped me in the past.

4 weeks later
#586 2 years ago

I think it looks great but would like to see how it looks in game.

#590 2 years ago

My Dr. Dude says the same thing on the inside:

0914212149 (resized).jpg0914212149 (resized).jpg

My F1 was 2A (not 2.5A)
My F4 was 7A
My F7 was 15A? Honestly not sure because there was no clear number except for 15. I changed it to a 4A and played a game and it seemed fine.

0914212157 (resized).jpg0914212157 (resized).jpg

#592 2 years ago

Your welcome, and I am happy I found that 15A fuse. I would have never known.

#594 2 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Well... You might have found out the hard way at some stage when it didn't protect anything it was meant to.
Overrated fuses:
[quoted image]
MVP Fuses:
[quoted image]

Exactly

#597 2 years ago

I haven't had any issue with mine but I did restore it. To be honest I think reliability has way more to do with the history of the particular machine than the particular type of machine. Sometimes old machines break and when they do you fix them, this machine is pretty simple.

2 weeks later
#604 2 years ago
Quoted from BeeGee6533:

Hi, hoping someone might have some advice to diagnose an issue: all of the insert lights are no longer working on my Dr dude. Flashers work, GI works, but literally every insert light on the playfield and also including the “I” exam lights etc on the backboard, excellent ray etc are doing nothing. Thx for any help! It’s somewhat intermittent in that it all of a sudden wasn’t working and then briefly started working again. Then, not working.

If everything is off then I would guess either the entire column or row connector is disconnected. Start simple and just check everything is connected right. If the wires are tight connectors can get pulled off if you lower the head. This happens to me on my whirlwind.

After that I would check to see if you are getting the right voltages off the board.

1 month later
#607 2 years ago
Quoted from smcclain65:

So i searched the forum and couldn't find anyone else having this problem. My gift of gab shot registers about 20% of the time and causes the game to go into ball search. My ball popper works great and kicks it out, i have a feeling its the adjustment of the leaf switch and ball popper cap.
Does anyone know how to adjust that switch or have a picture of their working switch. Its the ball popper assembly (D-1135-1) and the Y leaf switch (A-11657). I think at this point it may be best just to get a new leaf switch, unless there is a way to get the current one back in shape .
Thank you in advance.

Does the switch work in test mode? If it is flakey there I would just recommend replacing it. I don't think they are too expensive.

#609 2 years ago

Here is a picture of mine. How is the white plastic piece? Is it binding at all?

1111211259 (resized).jpg1111211259 (resized).jpg
#611 2 years ago

Yes it floats on the solenoid rod but there is a spring in there I think. I would pull the solenoid assembly and make sure everything is free moving as it should be. There is a cross pin that may have moved on yours and bound up the plastic piece.

1 week later
#613 2 years ago

Yes, it is supposed to move. There is a roll pin across the shaft and the plastic piece has a slot that it is suppose to ride in. I think there is a spring inside as well.

2 months later
#643 2 years ago

Here you go

0209220845 (resized).jpg0209220845 (resized).jpg

0209220845_HDR (resized).jpg0209220845_HDR (resized).jpg
5 months later
#686 1 year ago
Quoted from mixmastapj:

Can someone post a pic of their Right slingshot switches wiring?
My right slingshot upper switch (and bracket) was removed by a previous owner for god knows why. Just gotta figure out if I need a dioded switch there or not, and what should connect to what piece. Bunch of wire with electrical tape sitting here, just gotta solder the right pieces to the thing. Thanks!
[quoted image][quoted image]

How about this? It appears there is only one diode on the lower (playfield lifted) position.

0728221318 (resized).jpg0728221318 (resized).jpg0728221318a (resized).jpg0728221318a (resized).jpg0728221318b (resized).jpg0728221318b (resized).jpg0728221318c (resized).jpg0728221318c (resized).jpg0728221318d (resized).jpg0728221318d (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#691 1 year ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Anyone got a good picture of this area? Is this right? The manual says there's another rubber here but I can't see how.
[quoted image]

Here are a couple from my restoration and some as-is. Hope it helps.

0812221141 (resized).jpg0812221141 (resized).jpg0812221141a (resized).jpg0812221141a (resized).jpg0916201534 (resized).jpg0916201534 (resized).jpg0916201600 (resized).jpg0916201600 (resized).jpg0916201601 (resized).jpg0916201601 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Listowel Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carpentersville, IL
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 18.95
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider killerrobots.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/geeks-wanted-dr-dude-club?tu=killerrobots and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.