F5D6EF53-59AD-40E3-9C07-48725E9D8B42 (resized).jpeg
20221203_220707 (resized).jpg
A1455A32-DA4B-4E2B-A54F-C7F9EA7D808F (resized).jpeg
EF3421AB-198D-415B-8BF4-66B7F7C17731 (resized).jpeg
6CF71D4B-8C33-470C-B31E-E6CCDF510506 (resized).jpeg
591FE9C9-6A3C-4D52-A363-19749AC8C65A (resized).jpeg
74E0E499-A219-4F00-8DFC-22E6B7B79E18 (resized).jpeg
7FBC587C-B5E8-45EC-8D22-84851A911DEF (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jestr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#375 4 years ago

After many years of wanting a pinball machine, I took the plunge a few days ago and decided that a Dr. Dude I came across would be my first pin. It's a little rougher around the edges in parts than the seller's pictures suggested, but it's still a machine I'm excited to now own. I've enjoyed reading through this forum thread and getting ideas about things to look for, such as the state of my BigShot and how he's mounted. He appear to be an original and in generally good shape, though upon closer inspection I see that he's ziptied through the screw holes to his post (which actually seems to work pretty well).

I'll probably post some of the following in the Alpha-Numeric support thread in hopes of finding a solution, so my apologies for the potential, partial cross-posting. My wife and I have been enjoying taking turns playing, but about 6 games in my wife noted what she described as a piece of white plastic that had appeared on the playfield and just as quickly disappeared after the ball struck it. We later found that it was a random LED that we couldn't account for at the time and just chalked it up as something that had come loose during the drive home with the machine. A little later during one of my games I saw a silver piece shoot across the playfield. I stopped the game and found that it was from one of the two spotlights in the bottom third of the playfield. Realizing this I use the random LED and the silver piece, mirroring the other instant one, and reassembled it. All appeared to be back in working order.

A game or two later I noticed that game was starting to score random 1,000 points even when a ball wasn't in play. Thinking there might still be debris from the spotlight parts, since one small portion was still missing, I took of the glass off and titled the field to see if anything came loose. Nothing seemed to shift, but afterward it starting playing normally again. A few more games down the line it started doing all kinds of scoring, including triggering the mix master and gift of gab. Finally noticed a note about pressing advance for a report (it only seemed to display every few games). After doing that I got the report: Check switch Mixer gab <b> 35. After referring to the manual I found the part of the play field identified and after manually pushing each target found that all of the mix master targets will score points and play the sounds, except for the yellow one closest to the exit. I tried working a small piece of clean paper down between the contacts to see if I could clear any possible debris or clean off any corrosion. No luck and no results, still no scoring on that target and still some random scoring. Lifted the playing field and did a quick check for any loose wires underneath in that area or any loose connectors, but all appeared to be good. Also checked the back box for any loose connections or disconnected wires (leaving no stone unturned). Again, no results.

After looking more through the manual and cross checking this thread and some others, I learned about the Switch Test and gave that a try. The results from it were an interesting sound effect and alternating between two messages: Mixer Gab <B> 06 35 and WHT-YEL ROW 4 SHORT 06 04. I'm starting to learn to decipher this (the first part seems to still be about the same switch from earlier and the new one may be about the coin door), but am still only about three days into being a pinball owner, so I appreciate your patience with me on this new journey. I appreciate any help and guidance any may be able to offer. Looking forward to being able to play more round without the machine intermittently scoring on its own. I'm happy to post any pictures of the machine that may be helpful.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

#381 4 years ago
Quoted from Jestr:

A little later during one of my games I saw a silver piece shoot across the playfield. I stopped the game and found that it was from one of the two spotlights in the bottom third of the playfield. Realizing this I use the random LED and the silver piece, mirroring the other intact one, and reassembled it. All appeared to be back in working order.

In checking other reference images for Dr. Dude, I realized that my mentioning of spotlights was probably pretty puzzling. I realize now that the machine I picked up has been modded to include them. As I unpack my original posting and start sharing pictures, I figured I should start with the spotlights. The right spotlight is the one I reference being knocked down and being what I initially thought could be causing the auto-scoring error I was getting. I've yet to find the translucent cover for the right spotlight, so it's either currently still lost in the depths of the machine (despite looking through a few times) or was never there to begin with. While not related to my error, I appreciate any speculation as to what machine these spotlights may have come from.

Still no luck sorting the error, but more details later.
Spotlights (resized).jpgSpotlights (resized).jpgLeftSpot (resized).jpgLeftSpot (resized).jpgRightSpot (resized).jpgRightSpot (resized).jpg

#383 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

The spotlight are standard pieces, used in games that had them. Yours has some linda LED in them. Two seperate components - can just purchase new LEDs if the missing cover of the one bugs you that much.

Thank you for the insight, I appreciate it.

#384 4 years ago
Quoted from Jestr:

Finally noticed a note about pressing advance for a report (it only seemed to display every few games). After doing that I got the report: Check switch Mixer gab <b> 35. After referring to the manual I found the part of the play field identified and after manually pushing each target found that all of the mix master targets will score points and play the sounds, except for the yellow one closest to the exit. I tried working a small piece of clean paper down between the contacts to see if I could clear any possible debris or clean off any corrosion. No luck and no results, still no scoring on that target and still some random scoring. Lifted the playing field and did a quick check for any loose wires underneath in that area or any loose connectors, but all appeared to be good. Also checked the back box for any loose connections or disconnected wires (leaving no stone unturned). Again, no results.
After looking more through the manual and cross checking this thread and some others, I learned about the Switch Test and gave that a try. The results from it were an interesting sound effect and alternating between two messages: Mixer Gab <B> 06 35 and WHT-YEL ROW 4 SHORT 06 04. I'm starting to learn to decipher this (the first part seems to still be about the same switch from earlier and the new one may be about the coin door), but am still only about three days into being a pinball owner, so I appreciate your patience with me on this new journey. I appreciate any help and guidance any may be able to offer. Looking forward to being able to play more round without the machine intermittently scoring on its own. I'm happy to post any pictures of the machine that may be helpful.
Thank you for your time and consideration.

Diving back into the errors, I have been looking through my machine to look for any signs of loose or stretched wires (or funky connectors), especially in the areas of the coin door and the mix master. While the mix master has a bent target that won't register hits, all of the wiring seems to be where it should be. I also check the boards in the head and didn't see anything that looked loose, disconnected, or otherwise weird (though I have a pretty novice eye and may not be looking in the right spots). I turned my attention to the coin door and finally explored one taped wire I've been curious about (included in the attached image). After removing the electrical tape I found the two ends near each other, but I don't believe they were fully connected. I wound them together and re-taped it. After turning it back on I saw the same Mixer Gab <B> 06 35, but the WHT-YEL ROW 4 SHORT 06 04 was gone. However, I now have the following three switch errors: TROUGH 1 BALL 06 11, TROUGH 2 BALL 06 12, and TROUGH 3 BALL 06 13. Not sure if I'm making progress or backsliding here, though I think the short being gone has to be positive. I appreciate any insight or guidance that any of you kind folks may have to offer. Thank you.

CoinDoor_OldSplice (resized).jpgCoinDoor_OldSplice (resized).jpg
#386 4 years ago
Quoted from supermoot:

Do the ball trough switches work?

I only had time this evening for a quick check. I turned it on, shot several balls, and let them all drain. The machine kept track of each drain, which ball it was on, and had no trouble kicking a new ball out to continue play. So, at least from a basic functionality standpoint, they seem to be working as nothing was impeded. If I have time tomorrow, I'll pull the glass and take a look underneath to see if anything in the trough looks to be poorly connected or otherwise catches my eye.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jestr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/geeks-wanted-dr-dude-club?tu=jestr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.