a09f3090-fe47-441e-b287-445f5fc1f45aphoto.jpeg
F5D6EF53-59AD-40E3-9C07-48725E9D8B42 (resized).jpeg
20221203_220707 (resized).jpg
A1455A32-DA4B-4E2B-A54F-C7F9EA7D808F (resized).jpeg
EF3421AB-198D-415B-8BF4-66B7F7C17731 (resized).jpeg
6CF71D4B-8C33-470C-B31E-E6CCDF510506 (resized).jpeg
591FE9C9-6A3C-4D52-A363-19749AC8C65A (resized).jpeg
74E0E499-A219-4F00-8DFC-22E6B7B79E18 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grumpy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Whats PPS doing for the customers who purchased the "inferior " rainbow decals?

I'm sure were both screwed!

9 months later
#146 6 years ago
Quoted from izzy:

Where's a good place to grab 12vdc?

TP-3 on the power supply is 12 volts, but I don't know if the EL wire high frequency power supply will cause noise to the other boards or not.

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

That's a shame I just figured out it was called EL wire and ordered some. I would think the flashers wouldn't be on long enough to really get the effect though no? Was gonna try the GI and have them flowing all the time when the games on.

Why don't you leave them on all the time and then have the flasher signal turn them off, this can be done with a relay.

1 month later
#190 6 years ago
Quoted from mixmastapj:

Any ideas on what to try next?

What happens when you ground the metal tab of Q-31?

#192 6 years ago

Here is a pic of a Cpu board that I have circled Q-31 in red. I also included a pic of the transistor so you can see the metal tab on the top. If you turn on the game and put it in solenoid test and lock it on solenoid 12 a/c select and then hold one end of the jumper wire on the ground braid and hold the other end to the metal tab of Q-31. Each time the a/c relay clicks the the flash bulb should light, if the flash bulb doesn't light then you have a wiring issue. If your flash lamp does light then you have a Cpu board problem.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Q-31 (resized).jpgQ-31 (resized).jpg

#195 6 years ago
Quoted from mixmastapj:

"Good" news is that it didn't light.

Not sure if its good news or not.

Quoted from mixmastapj:Would this be connected to the excellent ray flasher as well?

No. The only thing both have in common is the orange power wire. Now this power wire is daisy chained form one flasher to the next. So if the ray gun orange wire ran back to the gab flasher and then it ran somewhere else like the magnet and it broke off at the magnet it would kill both the gab and the ray gun flasher. The flasher return wires run thru the inner connect board and go thru cement dropping resistors, there can be cracked headers or bad resistors. Measure R-5 on the inner connect board for ohms and compare to the label on the resistor. You can remove J-4 and J-12 from the inner connect board and check for continuity from J-4 pin 5 to J-12 pin 12, is should read the same ohms as the label on the dropping resistor R-5.

#197 6 years ago

Are you able to solder on circuit boards? It broke off most likely from vibration. It can be resoldered if the lead is long enough to go through the board. When the board is out for repairs you can look for cracked header pins.

#199 6 years ago

It looks like the resistor will need to be replaced as the lead will not be long enough to reuse.

#201 6 years ago

Playball!

1 week later
#204 6 years ago
Quoted from mixmastapj:

Where do you guys find the pinouts (what controls what) on the CPU and Interconnect boards?

Lets say you need to troubleshoot the motor, page 2 tells you that the motor is solenoid 16. Now we will work this from the control signal (ground) to the power source. look on page 3-21 of the manual, 1J12 pin 9 is listed for solenoid 16 and it is a brn/gry wire, and Q-6 turns it on and off and the wire goes to 5J2 pin1. Move to the right of the page and find 5J2 pin1 of the aux power supply. This says its a brn/gry wire from the CPU board connector 1J12 pin 9. So I would look at the aux power supply page 3-18 5J2 pin 1. Now I see it passes thru this board to 5J6 pin 1, but it also show me that if there was a coil on solenoid 16 that the coil diode is here ( D-14 ). So back to page 3-21 to find 5J6 pin 1. It tells us the wire is headed to 2J4 pin 12. Now to page 3-22 to fine 2J4 pin 12 on the innerconnect board. On page 3-16 you will find the innerconnect board 2J4 pin 12, follow it to the right and see that it goes thru a jumper (w-11)or a resistor (R-11) and out to 2J11 and 2J12 pin 5. J11 goes to the backbox so you can disreguard it and follow 2J12 pin 5 brn/gry to the play field. Under the play field you will find this wire goes to the solenoid 16 which can be a coil, relay, flash lamp or a motor control board. My lunch break is over and I will finish tracing the power side when I get home.

#206 6 years ago

As for the power side of things start by looking at page 3-20. If you look the power outputs of the aux power supply you will see 5J11 pin 9 is labeled solenoid 16 and is a red wire. Then go the page 3-18 and you will see errors in the manual as 3-18 shows that 5J11 pin 9 from F-1 fuse, and page 3-20 shows that 5J11 pin 9 is coming from F-3. Also if you look at page 3-19 it shows that the motor is powered by 5J12 pin 6 50 volts and not 25 volts, which is F-4. The best thing you can do is look at what color wire is on the motor and this will tell you if it's 25 or 50 volts.

1 month later
#234 5 years ago
Quoted from RNBTAXI:

The problem occurred in all areas at the same time.

Check Fuse F-4 on the aux power supply again.

1 year later
#330 4 years ago

?

Here you go!

IMG_20190726_211540 (resized).jpgIMG_20190726_211540 (resized).jpgIMG_20190726_211707 (resized).jpgIMG_20190726_211707 (resized).jpg
#332 4 years ago

This is the wire your missing.

IMG_20190726_221655 (resized).jpgIMG_20190726_221655 (resized).jpga02ba110f015c51389c259f7e3b44f36906ad22e.png (resized).pnga02ba110f015c51389c259f7e3b44f36906ad22e.png (resized).png
#334 4 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Where's the other side of that flash lamp go?

dd (resized).jpgdd (resized).jpg
#336 4 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Seems a bit weird to have one side of the flasher on the GI connector though? I would've expected both on the same one.

The red and orange wires on this GI insert board connector are for A/C switched power. Red is constant power and the orange is switched on and off. The wire you need to move is the control wire (ground wire).

4 months later
#367 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

hopefully an easy question - are the flasher bulbs (like in the raygun or in the backbox) supposed to get 37V dc or 25 V dc ?

The voltage is called 25 volts in the manual but is not regulated. With a meter it will read @ 36-39 volts DC.

2 months later
#380 4 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

FOUND! Thanks, was hidsing behind the giant cap.

Was the magnet working with this disconnected?

2 months later
#416 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Short video of issue:

Did you do a switch test?

6 months later
#443 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

you say chrome, the link you posted says grey and the flyer shows black

The flyer looks like black, Bally called this color midnight grey. In reality it was a dark metallic charcoal black color.

1 month later
#467 3 years ago

Would the repro be strengthened at the entrance where they get beat up?
On another subject, the left hand switch on the coin door (called 'highscore reset'), is that really only for resetting high scores? Mine has a diode incorporated into it as shown... is this normal or a hack?
Thanks!!
[quoted image]

Normal.

#469 3 years ago

Thanks!
Another tech question: Q6 seems to be blown on my game which makes the mixmater disk spin constantly... I don't have any spare transistors to hand... does anyone know if this game has un-used transistors on the board that I can rob? I looked through the manual, but there doesn't seem to be any way to tell from there... unless I'm missing it...
Thanks again!

Are you sure that the issue is Q-6? There is a high current driver board in between Q-6 and the motor control board. You can disconnect 1J-12 connector of the CPU board, turn on the game and see if the mix master motor stops. If it keeps running then the TIP36 on the high current driver board is bad. If it stops then you can use Q-79 to replace Q-6. But it might be something else like Q-2.

#472 3 years ago

Thanks for your help! I actually already tried that and the disk stopped. I then used a fairly primative method of testing Q6 while it was in the board by using a multimeter on diode test with the red probe on the middle leg and the black on the right... on Q6 there was a 'bleep' but on all the other transistors there was no bleep... I really don't know what I'm doing, but this simple difference was enough to convince me that it's the Q6 transistor that's gone... I've de-soldered it now... I'll take Q79 out next and put it in Q6! Is there a list of un-used transistors somewhere? Thanks for this very useful info!!

System 11 boards have 22 solenoids available to be used. If you look at the Dr. Dude solenoid chart page you will see that #22 is not used. That would be special solenoid #6, which is Q-79.

#473 3 years ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

I’m rebuilding the flippers on Dr Dude. The right flipper coil is a little toasty so I am replacing it. It is now blowing F5. Can someone take a picture of the correct wiring as I must be getting it wrong. I wrote a note that the long blade of the EOS goes to the center lug. Thanks.

Now that you wired the coil incorrectly you should replace both coil diodes. They need to be installed in the correct direction.

Once that is done you connect the blue/yellow wire to the lug that has 2 windings on it. Then one of the wires from the EOS switch goes to the middle lug. And the last lug gets the other wire from the EOS switch and the blue/violet wire.

#475 3 years ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

I changed the diodes and wired the coil correctly & it works.

Playball!

1 week later
8 months later
#605 2 years ago
Quoted from BeeGee6533:

Hi, hoping someone might have some advice to diagnose an issue: all of the insert lights are no longer working on my Dr dude. Flashers work, GI works, but literally every insert light on the playfield and also including the “I” exam lights etc on the backboard, excellent ray etc are doing nothing. Thx for any help! It’s somewhat intermittent in that it all of a sudden wasn’t working and then briefly started working again. Then, not working.

The fuse or the bridge rectifier for lamp power.

1 month later
#618 2 years ago

Your first pic is a GI relay board. Your second pic is a high current driver board.

#621 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Yes, I found those labels in the manual and on Marcos. But what do they -do- in this pin? For example my GI seems to work even with the "GI Relay Board" unplugged.

The relay board is wired to have the gi on all the time except when it's activated. So if the 2 wire connector is disconnected the lights won't flash. The high current driver board is installed in-between the CPU board and the magnet coil. This is because the CPU board can only power 25 volt coils and the magnet runs on 50 volts.

6 months later
#678 1 year ago
Quoted from Kingjowjow:

Any info is appreciated.

Since this is solenoid #16 that controls the motor circuit, it is a 25 volt circuit and doesn't use the TIP36 transistors on the Aux power supply. Your issue is on the CPU board or the Triac board. I would disconnect 1J-12 from the CPU board, then turn on the power, did the mix master stop spinning? If yes, then your issue is with the CPU board, if no, then your problem is the triac board.

If it's the CPU board then I would replace Q-6 and Q-2 as a set, then retest to see if you have fixed it.

cc (resized).PNGcc (resized).PNG
#680 1 year ago
Quoted from Kingjowjow:

Thank you for the helpful reply I will try that! If the issue is the triac board would I have to replace the whole triac board or is there a fix?

Everything can be fixed with some patience.

1 week later
#682 1 year ago
Quoted from Kingjowjow:

Was wondering if anyone had a good guide on the 3 button menu navigation? My buttons are able to scroll through the menu, but when I press advance or any other button when I'm on the item in the menu to select it nothing happens. I press the high score reset button and get nothing either. I've been trying to change to difficulty setting and go back from 4 ball play to 3 ball play, but can't figure it out. Either I'm doing it wrong or mabey my 3 button switch is messed up? Any help or tips is appreciated thank you!
[quoted image]

Use the credit button to make changes.

1 year later
#732 4 months ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

I want to redo the entire connector but would like to see one that is correct first.

All you need to do is match up the wire colors. None of the lights work because of the broken yellow wire. Match the stripe color up on the red wires, red/brown to red/brown, red/black to red/black and your good to go.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Gulf Shores, AL
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Listowel Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 27.95
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carpentersville, IL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grumpy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/geeks-wanted-dr-dude-club?tu=grumpy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.