a09f3090-fe47-441e-b287-445f5fc1f45aphoto.jpeg
F5D6EF53-59AD-40E3-9C07-48725E9D8B42 (resized).jpeg
20221203_220707 (resized).jpg
A1455A32-DA4B-4E2B-A54F-C7F9EA7D808F (resized).jpeg
EF3421AB-198D-415B-8BF4-66B7F7C17731 (resized).jpeg
6CF71D4B-8C33-470C-B31E-E6CCDF510506 (resized).jpeg
591FE9C9-6A3C-4D52-A363-19749AC8C65A (resized).jpeg
74E0E499-A219-4F00-8DFC-22E6B7B79E18 (resized).jpeg
There are 743 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 15.
#1 7 years ago

Can't believe that there is not one of these yet for Dr. Dude. Well, I guess there is now. Let's discuss this very underrated System 11 game!

#2 7 years ago

My life was dull, my life was drab...

Classic game when I was growing up. The original "Dude!"

#3 7 years ago

Love this game. I was introduced to it when i found one for a doctor (theme) friend some years ago.

Just yesterday I saw a Dr Dude in a cafe, put up a couple of high scores even through the flippers are weak and could only just get up the ramp.

#4 7 years ago

Nice! I remember playing this game as a kid. It took me 2 years to track down a decent one locally. Very happy. That rap after you get the gift of gab is hilariously 80's.

#5 7 years ago

best club ever

13320489_10209648588514450_4157023405633766153_o_(resized).jpg13320489_10209648588514450_4157023405633766153_o_(resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

I'm in. Signed translight too. My wife bought me this game as a surprise. The second time she's done that!image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

Love it. Finally a club for Dude.
Now we just need plastic sets, ramps, and Big Shot figures reproduced and we'll be all set!

#8 7 years ago

Love the Dude

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#9 7 years ago

The first time I ever played this pin was June 6th 1994 at a deli about a block away from my house. I ended up getting the high score. Probably just got lucky and the dude meter was almost maxed out. I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best pinball player especially back then. I didn't even know how to put in my initials. We all thought if you hit the flipper buttons fast enough after a game you'll get the match lol.

12 years later this was the first pinball machine I bought. It was a present to myself for getting my "grown up" job. I think I got it off eBay and probably got ripped off cause I think I paid then what nice ones sell for now off eBay. It broke and I had a professional pinball repairman come to my bedroom to fix it. The GI connectors were burnt, the apron graphics were worn off, the sling plastics were bad inkjet printer paper under clear plastic, plus various other little issues. My Big Shot was perfect though so that was a plus. Though most of the imperfections were fixed over the years (still can't find an apron or decals for it) I still have this my first pin. Long live the Dude! image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#10 7 years ago

Checking in!

Easter egg time. Notice it plays the gab or magnet theme at game over but never the heart theme? Enter your initials as one of the default high scores (eg. DEN, PFZ, etc.) for a treat.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Checking in!
Easter egg time. Notice it plays the gab or magnet theme at game over but never the heart theme? Enter your initials as one of the default high scores (eg. DEN, PFZ, etc.) for a treat.

I was lucky enough that my Dudes scores were reset after some board work so the current high scores weren't too high. Tried this out and was definitely pretty cool. Amazes me how I had this game for 10 years and I'm still learning things about it.

#12 7 years ago

Greatness, owned it for a couple months and that was enough but would buy one again.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Checking in!

Can someone tell me the other default initials? I'm gonna try putting them all back in lol.

#14 7 years ago

Count me in on the new plastics. They are a much needed repo. Finally got mine to the basement and slide into the System 11 line-up. It's a great addition.

chris

#15 7 years ago

For anyone who hopes a plastic set is repro'd ..... if you have a chance, hop onto the Wishlist parts section on PPS's forum (after making an account) and voice your support for a plastic set there. Maybe with some additional show of demand, he'll get it in queue.

I too, would be in for 2 sets.

#16 7 years ago

Another Dr Dude in Belgium. Love mine and it's in superb condition.

1 month later
#17 7 years ago

We've all experienced the dreaded ball STDM after plunging it. One of the game's major design flaws, it's very discouraging for new players. I love the ball deflector that Medieval Madness uses for the right orbit and Bride of Pinbot uses something similar to prevent balls draining straight down the middle. I am hoping to mount one of these one-way gate deflectors to the Heart of Rock 'n Roll to prevent STDM drains from the bumpers. I -think- the black gate from MM will fit over there but not sure it's wide enough. Anyone have any better ideas?

#18 7 years ago

Super Dude is in my house....

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Anyone have any better ideas?

Short plunge and live catch?

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Short plunge and live catch?

LOL....would love to see my 6 year old (or frankly many of my older friends) pull that off properly.

#21 7 years ago

cool dude, I'm in. So a strategy question to the group. How big a roll do the drop targets on the right hand side play for you? Usually I'm so focused on getting the elements of coolness I don't think about the drop targets much. They're kind of hard to hit too, especially the ones closest to the apron. But I think knocking them all 3 or 4 times lights extra ball and I think there may be some other goodies.

#22 7 years ago

Def worth it during multiball. If you're in 2x mode (lost previous multiball) and get the drops during a new multiball, jackpot is 20 million. I only tend to aim for them during MB. Otherwise during regular play the ball just hits them anyway.

#23 7 years ago

Dr. Dude GameBlades™ and Custom Magnetic Apron by Tilt Graphics Inc.
www.TiltGraphicsInc.com

DrDude-111 (resized).jpgDrDude-111 (resized).jpg

Dr Dude Apron (resized).pngDr Dude Apron (resized).png

#24 7 years ago

That apron is really cool. Nice work.

#25 7 years ago

Not going to happen. Dude was the first machine I bought in 2000 or so. It was rough and I fixed It. Found New big shot and nos plastics set. 16 years later I still can't find the ramp. I think everyone in existence has a crack at the front.

Quoted from Sethman:

For anyone who hopes a plastic set is repro'd ..... if you have a chance, hop onto the Wishlist parts section on PPS's forum (after making an account) and voice your support for a plastic set there. Maybe with some additional show of demand, he'll get it in queue.
I too, would be in for 2 sets.

#26 7 years ago

I've talked to Rick at PPS on the plastics. It's in the pipeline and he gave me indication they will be made as soon as he organizes all the artwork. I can't promise you they will remake ramps or big shot guys, but the plastics are a sure thing.

Can I see a pic of the crack in your ramp?

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

I've talked to Rick at PPS on the plastics. It's in the pipeline and he gave me indication they will be made as soon as he organizes all the artwork. I can't promise you they will remake ramps or big shot guys, but the plastics are a sure thing.
Can I see a pic of the crack in your ramp?

Its actually wrapped right now, I unwrapped 2 and I'm still waiting to get that one setup. The crack is in the very front right of the ramp. Luckily the sign to the ramp blocks it so its not really noticeable.

1 month later
#28 7 years ago

Fellow SuperDudes...what are your high scores?

I just recently purchased the game and got the top score at 25 mil. I got up to 23 mil last night but choked on hitting the ray for multiball...and I was at 2x scoring!! Could've been a monster game, oh well.

3 weeks later
#29 7 years ago

So I just set this up after storage, last of the 3 machines. Its working okay, but I still have the problem with the shooter gate that I had for years before. The ball seems to hang on it every other time making the skill shot less than reliable. Anyone have any fix for it? And the big issue, every time I turn the game off, when I turn it back on I get adjust failure. any ideas on that?

I also just changed the rubber at the back under the I Exam. How did anyone service this on route, was a collosal pain to get that rubber on.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

So I just set this up after storage, last of the 3 machines. Its working okay, but I still have the problem with the shooter gate that I had for years before. The ball seems to hang on it every other time making the skill shot less than reliable. Anyone have any fix for it? And the big issue, every time I turn the game off, when I turn it back on I get adjust failure. any ideas on that?
I also just changed the rubber at the back under the I Exam. How did anyone service this on route, was a collosal pain to get that rubber on.

Change the batteries for the Adjust Failure problem.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Change the batteries for the Adjust Failure problem.

I did, changed the batteries when I set it up. Its working now, but for how long I don't know, one of the contacts is not connecting too well to the battery. I got it working now but I'm sure the issue comes back again.

#32 7 years ago

Great candidate for off board batteries or better yet, NVRAM.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

Great candidate for off board batteries or better yet, NVRAM.

Yes but nvram requires sending the huge board out. Off board I Could do but I'm not exactly sure where to solder the connections.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

Yes but nvram requires sending the huge board out. Off board I Could do but I'm not exactly sure where to solder the connections.

Looks here:

http://www.johnsarcade.com/forum/index.php?topic=2652.0

Don't think you will need a blocking diode but it wouldn't harm to have one.

1 week later
#35 7 years ago

What do you do for the condom lights when you go LED? Is there a specific bulb that should be used. Planning to use 2smd from comet probably for all 3 of my games, but not sure what to do with the lights on the dude that have the condom covers. If there is a specific bulb, do you just get the correct color or do you still use the condom?

#36 7 years ago

In cases like TAF where the condom-covered bulbs point to the side, I leave them as incandescent. LED bulbs just don't look good from the side. All others like Dr. Dude you just use a regular LED, which will appear white when not lit. Not much can be done about that.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

What do you do for the condom lights when you go LED? Is there a specific bulb that should be used. Planning to use 2smd from comet probably for all 3 of my games, but not sure what to do with the lights on the dude that have the condom covers. If there is a specific bulb, do you just get the correct color or do you still use the condom?

I used the basic bulbs from cometpinball on my Dr. Dude and just put the colored condoms back over the LEDs. http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/100-pack-led-bullet.htm

IMHO, the warm white bulbs are very close to the original look with incandescents. Here's a picture with the "magnetic personality" and "gift of gab" lit.

DSCN3903 (resized).JPGDSCN3903 (resized).JPG

#38 7 years ago

So I was going to use the comet 2smd and 1smd flex bulbs for the games. I have Dr. Dude, NGG and TOM so trying to standardize so I can buy bulk packs. So I"m assuming the condoms won't fit over the 2smd bulbs so basically just need buy a few of the normal led bulbs for the condoms.

#39 7 years ago

If anyone has a list of leds for this game I'd appreciate it. Trying to create bulk list for my games.

#40 7 years ago

I fully LED'd my Dr. Dude to match the colors of the original incandescents.....for all bulbs, I use the frosted color 2SMD LED that matches the color of the insert EXCEPT FOR:

- Magnet inserts (use white, not green - the green LED makes it look teal)
- Bag of Tricks insert (use white, see above)
- Gift of Gab inserts (use white, yellow is too dim)

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

I fully LED'd my Dr. Dude to match the colors of the original incandescents.....for all bulbs, I use the frosted color 2SMD LED that matches the color of the insert EXCEPT FOR:
- Magnet inserts (use white, not green - the green LED makes it look teal)
- Bag of Tricks insert (use white, see above)
- Gift of Gab inserts (use white, yellow is too dim)

Thank you, but do you have a list of all the bulbs needed?

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

So I just set this up after storage, last of the 3 machines. Its working okay, but I still have the problem with the shooter gate that I had for years before. The ball seems to hang on it every other time making the skill shot less than reliable. Anyone have any fix for it?

Anyone have any ideas on the shooter gate? Its driving me insane. Ball gets stuck there at least 50 percent of the time. I'm thinking of removing it, but really don't want to have the ball going back to the shooter lane.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

Thank you, but do you have a list of all the bulbs needed?

Go here - http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/2smd-ct-ft.htm

Add the correct color bulb (I used frosted type as it disperses the light more evenly) for each insert light in the game. Shouldn't take you more than 5 mins to count them up. Lift the playfield to see if an insert uses the black (wedge) connector or silver (bayonet) connector. Most will be wedge. Don't forget they raygun and jackpot ones too (use white for both). I don't have an exact tally, but you shouldn't trust anyone's count either.....always better to do it yourself just in case.

1 week later
#44 7 years ago

Can somebody tell me what the part that is smack dab in the middle of this pic is supposed to look like? Maybe a teardown pic?
I can see that something was spot welded to it in the past, but the chunk was not in the game. It is probably 5 or 6" from the eye test target. Thanks

I am well on my way back together with this machine following a major shopping out. I am on my knees praying that Rick announces that the plastics are now available. He had mentioned late Dec. I would wait about that much time just to have them on now

DSCF5818 (resized).JPGDSCF5818 (resized).JPG

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

Can somebody tell me what the part that is smack dab in the middle of this pic is supposed to look like? Maybe a teardown pic?
I can see that something was spot welded to it in the past, but the chunk was not in the game. It is probably 5 or 6" from the eye test target. Thanks
I am well on my way back together with this machine following a major shopping out. I am on my knees praying that Rick announces that the plastics are now available. He had mentioned late Dec. I would wait about that much time just to have them on now

Its a one way ball gate, iirc.

Yours is broken off.

#46 7 years ago

this style, but obviously a different mounting configuration. I do not know the exact part number that Dr. Dude uses.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-8244-R

#47 7 years ago

Thanks! I have now figured out the bracket and flap assy. Just looking for it now. Marco has the bracket, but flap is out of stock. Also a rusty one on e-bay. Rather have new for the same money.

2 weeks later
#48 7 years ago

anyone know what size screw is used for the big shot? I apparently lost one.

#49 7 years ago

Anyone know where I can get a shooter lane gate wire? Mine is missing and the ball sometimes drops back into the shooter lane.

#50 7 years ago

Can anybody provide a scan of the translite? Or at least a highres photo? Would be great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Listowel Pinball

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carpentersville, IL
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 18.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 743 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/geeks-wanted-dr-dude-club?hl=robl45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.