a09f3090-fe47-441e-b287-445f5fc1f45aphoto.jpeg
F5D6EF53-59AD-40E3-9C07-48725E9D8B42 (resized).jpeg
20221203_220707 (resized).jpg
A1455A32-DA4B-4E2B-A54F-C7F9EA7D808F (resized).jpeg
EF3421AB-198D-415B-8BF4-66B7F7C17731 (resized).jpeg
6CF71D4B-8C33-470C-B31E-E6CCDF510506 (resized).jpeg
591FE9C9-6A3C-4D52-A363-19749AC8C65A (resized).jpeg
74E0E499-A219-4F00-8DFC-22E6B7B79E18 (resized).jpeg
There are 743 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 15.
#401 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I am wondering if anyone has detailed tear down / Shop out photos for Dr Dude. I am getting ready to tear mine apart for a proper cleaning / LEDs, but am a little daunted with the ramp going through the backboard and all. Any advice is appreciated

I have pics if you need them. PM me. Ramp wasn't hard at all. I think the big shot and gift of gab were the hardest to put back and I wouldn't really even call it hard. Most of the stuff is cut and dry.

#402 3 years ago

I’ll take a look for pics myself, I did a detailed tear down when I first bought mine. It’s not that complex back there. Once you remove the plastic at the back, there’s a little metal tray above the ramp to stop the ball from falling out, and that’s just attached by one or two screws.

#403 3 years ago

Does anyone have one of these they don't need? Mine snapped when I was removing it

2 pics of the broken guide. 1st pic is where it goes in the machine.
IMG_1411 (resized).jpgIMG_1411 (resized).jpgIMG_1412 (resized).jpgIMG_1412 (resized).jpgIMG_1413 (resized).jpgIMG_1413 (resized).jpg

#404 3 years ago

spade bolt. Available at pinball suppliers, you need to rivet it back on.

two options: https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=spade%20bolt

#405 3 years ago

The spinning post on my mixmaster, and the screw that holds it in place, scrapes the plastic above it. Does anyone have a picture of theirs, or come across this issue?

#406 3 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

The spinning post on my mixmaster, and the screw that holds it in place, scrapes the plastic above it. Does anyone have a picture of theirs, or come across this issue?

Is it hitting the cover? The one screened with mixmaster on it? If so the post with the rubber may be too long? Mine is apart but maybe these will help?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#407 3 years ago

yep, mine's just like that, only dirtier because I need to follow your lead and take it apart for cleaning. Anyway, the screw on top (not shown in your photo) scrapes a circle around the clear plastic above it. Maybe I'll use a screw with a flat head, or I've been thinking about how to raise the clear mixmaster plastic somehow.

#408 3 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

yep, mine's just like that, only dirtier because I need to follow your lead and take it apart for cleaning. Anyway, the screw on top (not shown in your photo) scrapes a circle around the clear plastic above it. Maybe I'll use a screw with a flat head, or I've been thinking about how to raise the clear mixmaster plastic somehow.

No screw on my post either, I'm pretty sure it's not needed - what would it be holding? That's probably why it's scratching the plastic.

#409 3 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

No screw on my post either, I'm pretty sure it's not needed - what would it be holding? That's probably why it's scratching the plastic.

The picture on the flyer does not show a screw either. I'd remove the screw the rubber is on there tight, and I doubt it's going anywhere.

flyer (resized).pngflyer (resized).png
#410 3 years ago

good advice, I'll try it. Thanks

#411 3 years ago

no screw on mine, and no scratches on my cover and i don't think mine has ever been taken apart.

#412 3 years ago

I got done my shop out and ow there are issues after reinstall.

The game came out really nice (in my opinion). Here's a video just because.

But now the issues:
1) Molecular Ray up kicker fires continually.
2) upper pop bumper fires intermittently.
3) Mixmaster seems to run at random times.

That's all I sw off the bat. Asking for other Dude owners for some help.

1) Does your machine have these unconnected plugs?

connectors1 (resized).jpgconnectors1 (resized).jpg

Connectors2 (resized).jpgConnectors2 (resized).jpg

Another question - the other plugs I have connected seem odd as there are many wires on one side but only 2 on the other side:

connectors3 (resized).jpgconnectors3 (resized).jpg

connectors4 (resized).jpgconnectors4 (resized).jpg

Did I just connect things wrong? So frustrating

Chris

#413 3 years ago

Short video of issue:

Chris

#414 3 years ago

1) Does your machine have these unconnected plugs?

Those look like opto connectors.

Another question - the other plugs I have connected seem odd as there are many wires on one side but only 2 on the other side:

This is normal. The side with multiple wires is just so the curcuit can continue to the NEXT plug/location. The side with one wire in each pin goes to the item itself. (Switch, lamp, opto, etc.)

#415 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Those look like opto connectors.

Strange. Dr Dude doesn't have any optos that I was aware of.

Quoted from Coyote:

This is normal. The side with multiple wires is just so the curcuit can continue to the NEXT plug/location. The side with one wire in each pin goes to the item itself. (Switch, lamp, opto, etc.)

Ok thank you.

#416 3 years ago

Short video of issue:

Did you do a switch test?

#417 3 years ago

Strange. Dr Dude doesn't have any optos that I was aware of.

Ok thank you.

Sorry, that was habit. Not optos, but any switches/lamps.

#418 3 years ago

Found a connector that was missed. Got that connected and I'm down to two switch errors, which I think are just adjustment related.

Thanks for all the help! Last night I was just frustrated and in no mood to troubleshoot.

Chris

2 weeks later
#419 3 years ago

Stripping down my playfield and found this... The gift of gab light hanging loose and shorting with the big shot mechanism. I wonder if this was the source of my blowing transistor...

1 week later
#420 3 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Stripping down my playfield and found this... The gift of gab light hanging loose and shorting with the big shot mechanism. I wonder if this was the source of my blowing transistor...

Well, of not it should have been! Good catch.

Chris

2 months later
#421 3 years ago

Anyone need a mint manual? I found one in an old stack of manuals I had stored. $30 shipped in U.S.

IMG_3092[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3092[1] (resized).JPG
1 month later
#422 3 years ago

Hey fellow Doctors!

i just got my first dr. dude and im restoring some parts. the main issues i have are lights and the pop bumper.

specificly the right pop bumper doesnt pop, it makes a noise and score, but no coil action. also all the lights are out on these guys... any replacment sockets around?

also my heart of rock n roll and the gift of gab triple light that uses the 55 wedge lights are out.

how should i go about repairing ths?

#423 3 years ago
Quoted from wcwinans:

specificly the right pop bumper doesnt pop, it makes a noise and score, but no coil action. also all the lights are out on these guys... any replacment sockets around?

Check continuity at the coil and at the lights. You probably have a broken connection somewhere. Trace the connections back to the connectors in the backbox.

“also my heart of rock n roll and the gift of gab triple light that uses the 55 wedge lights are out.”

Same thing. Search for the broken connection. Check the solder on the pins on the board which hook up to the connector (on the board under the playfield with lights in question). It sometimes helps to reflow that solder (heat it up to liquid, then let it cool).

#424 3 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Check continuity at the coil and at the lights. You probably have a broken connection somewhere. Trace the connections back to the connectors in the backbox.
“also my heart of rock n roll and the gift of gab triple light that uses the 55 wedge lights are out.”
Same thing. Search for the broken connection. Check the solder on the pins on the board which hook up to the connector (on the board under the playfield with lights in question). It sometimes helps to reflow that solder (heat it up to liquid, then let it cool).

I will check this out soon! If i resolder the connections are there any considerations for a specific solder type?

FYI I repainted the miniplayfield (molecular mix master) and will upload some pics of that soon! Here's my Dr.Dude

20200831_211844 (resized).jpg20200831_211844 (resized).jpg
#425 3 years ago
Quoted from wcwinans:

I will check this out soon! If i resolder the connections are there any considerations for a specific solder type?

I always use lead solder on my games, but they're all pre 2000 like Dr. Dude. I suppose you could reflow without adding solder, but I always add a tiny bit.

Just an additional comment to insert lighting issues - check out the lamp matrix in the handbook - if you have lights not working in a row or a column it will help you localize the issue.

#426 3 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

I always use lead solder on my games, but they're all pre 2000 like Dr. Dude. I suppose you could reflow without adding solder, but I always add a tiny bit.
Just an additional comment to insert lighting issues - check out the lamp matrix in the handbook - if you have lights not working in a row or a column it will help you localize the issue.

i think this is the right wire. all the general playfield lights on the right side are out and connected to this wire leading into this plug. it looks burnt up. Any suggestions?

Ill have to trace the wires from my rock/roll and gift of gab soon.

20201002_223244 (resized).jpg20201002_223244 (resized).jpg20201002_223253 (resized).jpg20201002_223253 (resized).jpg
#427 3 years ago
Quoted from wcwinans:

i think this is the right wire. all the general playfield lights on the right side are out and connected to this wire leading into this plug. it looks burnt up. Any suggestions?
Ill have to trace the wires from my rock/roll and gift of gab soon.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Burnt GI connectors are quite common. Here's a link dealing with it: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#General_Illumination_Issues

#428 3 years ago

ok, that would be J9 in the interconnect board you’re showing. That and J7 and J6 connect to the GI. That the connector was damaged by heat is clear, but you can’t be sure the defect is there. Refer also to the pages beginning on 3-21 in the game instructions - here all the connector pins are described.

#429 3 years ago

Thanks so much guys, i'll be sure to check that out when i get a moment soon. I did find that some of the wires had melted previously and there appears to be some sort of repair to it here.

In the mean time, Check out some of the progress so far. I have corrected the paint on two plastics and refinished the miniplayfield.20201004_205050 (resized).jpg20201004_205050 (resized).jpg20201005_095923 (resized).jpg20201005_095923 (resized).jpg20201005_095916 (resized).jpg20201005_095916 (resized).jpg20201005_095756 (resized).jpg20201005_095756 (resized).jpg20201005_095715 (resized).jpg20201005_095715 (resized).jpg20201005_095713 (resized).jpg20201005_095713 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#430 3 years ago

Hey, I just finished a ground up restorations of a Dr. Dude and I had some question and comments now that it is playing:

1. Why is this game so underrated? I see no love for this game. Great theme, great callouts, and fun to play.

2. Just saw the post above about GI issues. I had a bunch. What I learned was that the GI sockets bent tab can easily get pulled into the center and short things out. I had an intermittent problem that every time I pulled the wire harness in the wrong way it shorted. I went through every GI socket and made sure they weren't close. I also replaced my security bar and if I accidently closed the coin door when the glass was off and the lever was open it would hit and short the coin GI.

3. Does anyone know where to find replacement displays? My internet search was unsuccessful.

4. After playing for a while I am confused about the Jackpot meter and "Dude" level? How do these effect jackpots? I think the Dude level goes up every time you get a multi-ball but I am not sure. What make the Jackpot go up?

#431 3 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

3. Does anyone know where to find replacement displays? My internet search was unsuccessful.

Do they still make either of these?
https://www.pinscore.com/products/pinball-displays/26-ps-12502-p-led-display-for-williams-system-11bc-a-data-east
http://rottendog.us/DIS011.html

#432 3 years ago

Hey thanks, they are out of stock a bunch of places but I think I found them at the Pinball Wizard.

#433 3 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

Hey, I just finished a ground up restorations of a Dr. Dude and I had some question and comments now that it is playing:
1. Why is this game so underrated? I see no love for this game. Great theme, great callouts, and fun to play.

Agreed. Plus, there are like 5 seperate musical soundtracks depending on what modes you finish. I find that pretty fantastic

2. Just saw the post above about GI issues. I had a bunch. What I learned was that the GI sockets bent tab can easily get pulled into the center and short things out. I had an intermittent problem that every time I pulled the wire harness in the wrong way it shorted. I went through every GI socket and made sure they weren't close. I also replaced my security bar and if I accidently closed the coin door when the glass was off and the lever was open it would hit and short the coin GI.

I have also had this happen with the coin door

Sounds like you got this found from your other post.

4. After playing for a while I am confused about the Jackpot meter and "Dude" level? How do these effect jackpots? I think the Dude level goes up every time you get a multi-ball but I am not sure. What make the Jackpot go up?

I'm not sure how the dude o meter affects the jackpot either. Is it a million for each step on the meter? I will have to play around and pay more attention. All I know is that Super Dude you can get a gazillion. LOL

Enjoy it, it's a great machine!
Chris

#434 3 years ago

I'm not sure how the dude o meter affects the jackpot either. Is it a million for each step on the meter? I will have to play around and pay more attention. All I know is that Super Dude you can get a gazillion. LOL

that and how to interpret the 5 inserts in a semicirccle around the drops - I’ve never really figured out.

It is a great game - it really grows on you over time.

#435 3 years ago

From what i can figure out is that the u only need one hit in mix master to collect jackpot while on super dude. all others require 20 hits to collect jackpot. As for jackpot size i have not really paid to much attention to or to stoned to care. sometime u are better off to drain the multiball and just play the ball out while u have 2 times playfield on.

#436 3 years ago

I notice the difficulty effects things as well. Alas, it may always be a mystery

#438 3 years ago
Quoted from thc666:

From what i can figure out is that the u only need one hit in mix master to collect jackpot while on super dude. all others require 20 hits to collect jackpot. As for jackpot size i have not really paid to much attention to or to stoned to care. sometime u are better off to drain the multiball and just play the ball out while u have 2 times playfield on.

Factory setting is 10 hits for first jackpot, 20 for next, 30, etc.

I change it on mine to 2 hits, then it goes to 4, 6, 8 etc. Removes a lot of the randomness that makes the jackpot shots a hit or miss.

If you want the jackpot to stay at 5 million between games, set your game to Tournament/Contest Mode. This keeps the Dude o' Meter at Major Dude each game so you'll always need 2 multiballs in a game to reach Super Dude. But keeps things consistent.

I have yet to figure out how the jackpot amounts work, but if its a 1 million or so and you have mystery lit, it will often raise it to 5 million.

Random Tip: The right orbit is EXTREMELY lucrative when maxed out with 2x (after multiball) playfield.

#439 3 years ago

I'm not sure how the dude o meter affects the jackpot either. Is it a million for each step on the meter? I will have to play around and pay more attention. All I know is that Super Dude you can get a gazillion.

My experience is when I am at Super Dude the Jackpot-O-Meter is flashing and I get 5 million + points for a jackpot, if I get a second jackpot it is also 5 million + points. When I am back at Plain Duke the Jackpot-O-Meter is at 1 million. If I score that Jackpot the meter moves to 2 for a second Jackpot if it is scored during the same multiball.

Even if I set the hits for Jackpot at 2 it may take two or three shots to the mixmaster to score a jackpot. Does anyone have suggestions on how to make the targets more sensitive?

1 week later
#440 3 years ago

Can any of you dudes clarify what the correct legs are for this game? Just about to set mine up, which has been in storage for many years... my legs have got all muddled up!!

#442 3 years ago

Thanks for your reply! However, there still seems to be a bit of confusion... you say chrome, the link you posted says grey and the flyer shows black

I agree that chrome will look best though...

#443 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

you say chrome, the link you posted says grey and the flyer shows black

The flyer looks like black, Bally called this color midnight grey. In reality it was a dark metallic charcoal black color.

#444 3 years ago

As long as they are 28.5” choose the color you like. I replaced mine with an orange set.

#445 3 years ago

I went for chrome in the end!

I now have a technical question... I switched the game on with the backbox open, after checking the the boards looked good, no acid damage (batteries were already removed) and making sure all the connectors at least looked well connected... the GI came on and the 'molecular mixmaster' disk was spinning and there was a message on the left display, but I couldn't read it because it was in German... it stayed like this, so I decided to turn it off rather than just have the motor spinning... then I decided to turn it on again to see if it behaved the same, and to try and get into the menu system, but this Time nothing at all... zero, not even the faint flicker of a light... I'm guessing a fuse has gone... this game has probably not been turned on for over 20 years!

Anyone seen anything like this before? Any clues as to how to proceed?

Any help greatly appreciated!

#446 3 years ago

Could some kind soul please tell me if they have anything in locations U21and U22 on the main board of this game? I understand that these should be the locations of the speech ROMs, but mine are empty...

Thanks!

20201115_175607 (resized).jpg20201115_175607 (resized).jpg
#447 3 years ago

Also, what do you guys have in location W7? This will affect the language... I have the below:

Thanks!!

20201115_175537 (resized).jpg20201115_175537 (resized).jpg
#448 3 years ago

Sorry, I was given some bad info... this game has a separate sound board, therefore U21 and U22 should be empty.

All I'd like to know, therefore, is what anyone with a game set up to give English text on the display has at location W7...

Thanks for all your help!

#449 3 years ago

It seems like the jumper at W7 is only applicable as a text language adjuster on games up to Cyclone, and games after that the language is in the ROMs... so it seems like the ROMs I have are for German text, and I need to change them for ROMs that have English text. The language difference is only applicable, I believe, for the diagnostics, and not for the text (or speech) during gameplay... but someone more knowledgeable about these things might want to correct me on that one...

#450 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Thanks for your reply! However, there still seems to be a bit of confusion... you say chrome, the link you posted says grey and the flyer shows black
I agree that chrome will look best though...

uh it says chrome and the one i work on has chrome. were you looking at 68-83?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
Boards
PinSound

$ 18.95
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carpentersville, IL
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Listowel Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 27.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 743 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/geeks-wanted-dr-dude-club/page/9?hl=otrchief and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.