New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 164606)

Geeks Wanted: Dr. Dude Club!

By TheNoTrashCougar

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 437 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 hours ago by ajfclark
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 196 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20201005_095923 (resized).jpg
20201005_095916 (resized).jpg
20201005_095756 (resized).jpg
20201004_205050 (resized).jpg
20201005_095713 (resized).jpg
20201005_095715 (resized).jpg
20201002_223244 (resized).jpg
20201002_223253 (resized).jpg
20200831_211844 (resized).jpg
IMG_3092[1] (resized).JPG
connectors4 (resized).jpg
connectors3 (resized).jpg
connectors1 (resized).jpg
Connectors2 (resized).jpg
flyer (resized).png
image (resized).jpg

There are 437 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.
#401 6 months ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I am wondering if anyone has detailed tear down / Shop out photos for Dr Dude. I am getting ready to tear mine apart for a proper cleaning / LEDs, but am a little daunted with the ramp going through the backboard and all. Any advice is appreciated

I have pics if you need them. PM me. Ramp wasn't hard at all. I think the big shot and gift of gab were the hardest to put back and I wouldn't really even call it hard. Most of the stuff is cut and dry.

#402 5 months ago

I’ll take a look for pics myself, I did a detailed tear down when I first bought mine. It’s not that complex back there. Once you remove the plastic at the back, there’s a little metal tray above the ramp to stop the ball from falling out, and that’s just attached by one or two screws.

#403 5 months ago

Does anyone have one of these they don't need? Mine snapped when I was removing it

2 pics of the broken guide. 1st pic is where it goes in the machine.
IMG_1411 (resized).jpgIMG_1412 (resized).jpgIMG_1413 (resized).jpg

#404 5 months ago

spade bolt. Available at pinball suppliers, you need to rivet it back on.

two options: https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=spade%20bolt

#405 5 months ago

The spinning post on my mixmaster, and the screw that holds it in place, scrapes the plastic above it. Does anyone have a picture of theirs, or come across this issue?

#406 5 months ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

The spinning post on my mixmaster, and the screw that holds it in place, scrapes the plastic above it. Does anyone have a picture of theirs, or come across this issue?

Is it hitting the cover? The one screened with mixmaster on it? If so the post with the rubber may be too long? Mine is apart but maybe these will help?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#407 5 months ago

yep, mine's just like that, only dirtier because I need to follow your lead and take it apart for cleaning. Anyway, the screw on top (not shown in your photo) scrapes a circle around the clear plastic above it. Maybe I'll use a screw with a flat head, or I've been thinking about how to raise the clear mixmaster plastic somehow.

#408 5 months ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

yep, mine's just like that, only dirtier because I need to follow your lead and take it apart for cleaning. Anyway, the screw on top (not shown in your photo) scrapes a circle around the clear plastic above it. Maybe I'll use a screw with a flat head, or I've been thinking about how to raise the clear mixmaster plastic somehow.

No screw on my post either, I'm pretty sure it's not needed - what would it be holding? That's probably why it's scratching the plastic.

#409 5 months ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

No screw on my post either, I'm pretty sure it's not needed - what would it be holding? That's probably why it's scratching the plastic.

The picture on the flyer does not show a screw either. I'd remove the screw the rubber is on there tight, and I doubt it's going anywhere.

flyer (resized).png
#410 5 months ago

good advice, I'll try it. Thanks

#411 5 months ago

no screw on mine, and no scratches on my cover and i don't think mine has ever been taken apart.

#412 5 months ago

I got done my shop out and ow there are issues after reinstall.

The game came out really nice (in my opinion). Here's a video just because.

But now the issues:
1) Molecular Ray up kicker fires continually.
2) upper pop bumper fires intermittently.
3) Mixmaster seems to run at random times.

That's all I sw off the bat. Asking for other Dude owners for some help.

1) Does your machine have these unconnected plugs?

connectors1 (resized).jpg

Connectors2 (resized).jpg

Another question - the other plugs I have connected seem odd as there are many wires on one side but only 2 on the other side:

connectors3 (resized).jpg

connectors4 (resized).jpg

Did I just connect things wrong? So frustrating

Chris

#413 5 months ago

Short video of issue:

Chris

#414 5 months ago

1) Does your machine have these unconnected plugs?

Those look like opto connectors.

Another question - the other plugs I have connected seem odd as there are many wires on one side but only 2 on the other side:

This is normal. The side with multiple wires is just so the curcuit can continue to the NEXT plug/location. The side with one wire in each pin goes to the item itself. (Switch, lamp, opto, etc.)

#415 5 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Those look like opto connectors.

Strange. Dr Dude doesn't have any optos that I was aware of.

Quoted from Coyote:

This is normal. The side with multiple wires is just so the curcuit can continue to the NEXT plug/location. The side with one wire in each pin goes to the item itself. (Switch, lamp, opto, etc.)

Ok thank you.

#416 5 months ago

Short video of issue:

Did you do a switch test?

#417 5 months ago

Strange. Dr Dude doesn't have any optos that I was aware of.

Ok thank you.

Sorry, that was habit. Not optos, but any switches/lamps.

#418 5 months ago

Found a connector that was missed. Got that connected and I'm down to two switch errors, which I think are just adjustment related.

Thanks for all the help! Last night I was just frustrated and in no mood to troubleshoot.

Chris

2 weeks later
#419 5 months ago

Stripping down my playfield and found this... The gift of gab light hanging loose and shorting with the big shot mechanism. I wonder if this was the source of my blowing transistor...

1 week later
#420 4 months ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Stripping down my playfield and found this... The gift of gab light hanging loose and shorting with the big shot mechanism. I wonder if this was the source of my blowing transistor...

Well, of not it should have been! Good catch.

Chris

2 months later
#421 63 days ago

Anyone need a mint manual? I found one in an old stack of manuals I had stored. $30 shipped in U.S.

IMG_3092[1] (resized).JPG
1 month later
#422 25 days ago

Hey fellow Doctors!

i just got my first dr. dude and im restoring some parts. the main issues i have are lights and the pop bumper.

specificly the right pop bumper doesnt pop, it makes a noise and score, but no coil action. also all the lights are out on these guys... any replacment sockets around?

also my heart of rock n roll and the gift of gab triple light that uses the 55 wedge lights are out.

how should i go about repairing ths?

#423 25 days ago
Quoted from wcwinans:

specificly the right pop bumper doesnt pop, it makes a noise and score, but no coil action. also all the lights are out on these guys... any replacment sockets around?

Check continuity at the coil and at the lights. You probably have a broken connection somewhere. Trace the connections back to the connectors in the backbox.

“also my heart of rock n roll and the gift of gab triple light that uses the 55 wedge lights are out.”

Same thing. Search for the broken connection. Check the solder on the pins on the board which hook up to the connector (on the board under the playfield with lights in question). It sometimes helps to reflow that solder (heat it up to liquid, then let it cool).

#424 23 days ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Check continuity at the coil and at the lights. You probably have a broken connection somewhere. Trace the connections back to the connectors in the backbox.
“also my heart of rock n roll and the gift of gab triple light that uses the 55 wedge lights are out.”
Same thing. Search for the broken connection. Check the solder on the pins on the board which hook up to the connector (on the board under the playfield with lights in question). It sometimes helps to reflow that solder (heat it up to liquid, then let it cool).

I will check this out soon! If i resolder the connections are there any considerations for a specific solder type?

FYI I repainted the miniplayfield (molecular mix master) and will upload some pics of that soon! Here's my Dr.Dude

20200831_211844 (resized).jpg
#425 22 days ago
Quoted from wcwinans:

I will check this out soon! If i resolder the connections are there any considerations for a specific solder type?

I always use lead solder on my games, but they're all pre 2000 like Dr. Dude. I suppose you could reflow without adding solder, but I always add a tiny bit.

Just an additional comment to insert lighting issues - check out the lamp matrix in the handbook - if you have lights not working in a row or a column it will help you localize the issue.

#426 21 days ago
Quoted from branlon8:

I always use lead solder on my games, but they're all pre 2000 like Dr. Dude. I suppose you could reflow without adding solder, but I always add a tiny bit.
Just an additional comment to insert lighting issues - check out the lamp matrix in the handbook - if you have lights not working in a row or a column it will help you localize the issue.

i think this is the right wire. all the general playfield lights on the right side are out and connected to this wire leading into this plug. it looks burnt up. Any suggestions?

Ill have to trace the wires from my rock/roll and gift of gab soon.

20201002_223244 (resized).jpg20201002_223253 (resized).jpg
#427 21 days ago
Quoted from wcwinans:

i think this is the right wire. all the general playfield lights on the right side are out and connected to this wire leading into this plug. it looks burnt up. Any suggestions?
Ill have to trace the wires from my rock/roll and gift of gab soon.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Burnt GI connectors are quite common. Here's a link dealing with it: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#General_Illumination_Issues

#428 20 days ago

ok, that would be J9 in the interconnect board you’re showing. That and J7 and J6 connect to the GI. That the connector was damaged by heat is clear, but you can’t be sure the defect is there. Refer also to the pages beginning on 3-21 in the game instructions - here all the connector pins are described.

#429 19 days ago

Thanks so much guys, i'll be sure to check that out when i get a moment soon. I did find that some of the wires had melted previously and there appears to be some sort of repair to it here.

In the mean time, Check out some of the progress so far. I have corrected the paint on two plastics and refinished the miniplayfield.20201004_205050 (resized).jpg20201005_095923 (resized).jpg20201005_095916 (resized).jpg20201005_095756 (resized).jpg20201005_095715 (resized).jpg20201005_095713 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#430 5 days ago

Hey, I just finished a ground up restorations of a Dr. Dude and I had some question and comments now that it is playing:

1. Why is this game so underrated? I see no love for this game. Great theme, great callouts, and fun to play.

2. Just saw the post above about GI issues. I had a bunch. What I learned was that the GI sockets bent tab can easily get pulled into the center and short things out. I had an intermittent problem that every time I pulled the wire harness in the wrong way it shorted. I went through every GI socket and made sure they weren't close. I also replaced my security bar and if I accidently closed the coin door when the glass was off and the lever was open it would hit and short the coin GI.

3. Does anyone know where to find replacement displays? My internet search was unsuccessful.

4. After playing for a while I am confused about the Jackpot meter and "Dude" level? How do these effect jackpots? I think the Dude level goes up every time you get a multi-ball but I am not sure. What make the Jackpot go up?

#431 5 days ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

3. Does anyone know where to find replacement displays? My internet search was unsuccessful.

Do they still make either of these?
https://www.pinscore.com/products/pinball-displays/26-ps-12502-p-led-display-for-williams-system-11bc-a-data-east
http://rottendog.us/DIS011.html

#432 5 days ago

Hey thanks, they are out of stock a bunch of places but I think I found them at the Pinball Wizard.

#433 4 days ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

Hey, I just finished a ground up restorations of a Dr. Dude and I had some question and comments now that it is playing:
1. Why is this game so underrated? I see no love for this game. Great theme, great callouts, and fun to play.

Agreed. Plus, there are like 5 seperate musical soundtracks depending on what modes you finish. I find that pretty fantastic

2. Just saw the post above about GI issues. I had a bunch. What I learned was that the GI sockets bent tab can easily get pulled into the center and short things out. I had an intermittent problem that every time I pulled the wire harness in the wrong way it shorted. I went through every GI socket and made sure they weren't close. I also replaced my security bar and if I accidently closed the coin door when the glass was off and the lever was open it would hit and short the coin GI.

I have also had this happen with the coin door

Sounds like you got this found from your other post.

4. After playing for a while I am confused about the Jackpot meter and "Dude" level? How do these effect jackpots? I think the Dude level goes up every time you get a multi-ball but I am not sure. What make the Jackpot go up?

I'm not sure how the dude o meter affects the jackpot either. Is it a million for each step on the meter? I will have to play around and pay more attention. All I know is that Super Dude you can get a gazillion. LOL

Enjoy it, it's a great machine!
Chris

#434 3 days ago

I'm not sure how the dude o meter affects the jackpot either. Is it a million for each step on the meter? I will have to play around and pay more attention. All I know is that Super Dude you can get a gazillion. LOL

that and how to interpret the 5 inserts in a semicirccle around the drops - I’ve never really figured out.

It is a great game - it really grows on you over time.

#435 3 days ago

From what i can figure out is that the u only need one hit in mix master to collect jackpot while on super dude. all others require 20 hits to collect jackpot. As for jackpot size i have not really paid to much attention to or to stoned to care. sometime u are better off to drain the multiball and just play the ball out while u have 2 times playfield on.

#436 1 day ago

I notice the difficulty effects things as well. Alas, it may always be a mystery

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 59.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
PinSound
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
There are 437 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside