F5D6EF53-59AD-40E3-9C07-48725E9D8B42 (resized).jpeg
20221203_220707 (resized).jpg
A1455A32-DA4B-4E2B-A54F-C7F9EA7D808F (resized).jpeg
EF3421AB-198D-415B-8BF4-66B7F7C17731 (resized).jpeg
6CF71D4B-8C33-470C-B31E-E6CCDF510506 (resized).jpeg
591FE9C9-6A3C-4D52-A363-19749AC8C65A (resized).jpeg
74E0E499-A219-4F00-8DFC-22E6B7B79E18 (resized).jpeg
7FBC587C-B5E8-45EC-8D22-84851A911DEF (resized).jpeg

There are 739 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 15.
#251 5 years ago

Recently picked up a Dr. Dude, everything seems to be working except the Dude-o-meter. The bottom four lights stay lit all the time once you start a game.
Is it most likely the diode on the light board that is the issue or something in driver board in back box?
Thank you in advance for any insight in to this.

#252 5 years ago

On the service button post a few posts before this (can't quote it because its just a pic).
Why does it look like the diode goes nowhere on the service buttons? Where is supposed to go?

#253 5 years ago
Quoted from Denethor:

Recently picked up a Dr. Dude, everything seems to working except the Dude-o-meter. The bottom four lights stay lit all the time once you start a game.
Is most likely the diode on the light board that is the issue or something in driver board in backbox?
Thank you in advance for any insight in to this.

Dude-O-Meter carries over from game to game. Keep going up the meter to Super Dude and it'll reset.

#254 5 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

Dude-O-Meter carries over from game to game. Keep going up the meter to Super Dude and it'll reset.

The majority of Dr. Dudes will have all the lights to Major Dude lit, because the meter only resets to nothing once Gazillion is collected. So even if you get Super Dude, unless you collect Gazillion, it will stay on Major Dude.

#255 5 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

The majority of Dr. Dudes will have all the lights to Major Dude lit, because the meter only resets to nothing once Gazillion is collected. So even if you get Super Dude, unless you collect Gazillion, it will stay on Major Dude.

Thank you, I'll play cheat game with the glass off and collect a Gazillion to test it.

#256 5 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Crazy - at least half the Dr. Dudes I've seen have the heart sign incorrectly in front. But you know it's supposed to go in back not only because the arrow points to it, but you'll see there's a cutout in back for where the heart light wire goes down into the PF.

Ha - mine's been in the wrong place too for many years, as long as I've had the game. Always thought balls getting stuck there was annoying...

2 weeks later
#257 5 years ago

Hi fellow dude owners!

Picked up a Dr Dude here in the UK a few days ago and currently in the process of stripping and cleaning the playfield. I’ll be changing out the rubbers, installing LED’s and a few other bits.

My dude is signed by Dennis Nordman and is also a very rare bird in that it is 1 of 100 dudes in the world with a Diamond Plate playfield.

DB14224D-375F-45FC-A239-973D245F3729 (resized).jpegDB14224D-375F-45FC-A239-973D245F3729 (resized).jpeg
#258 5 years ago

Picked up a Dr Dude with my buddy over the weekend. It is in really good condition (playfield is nice just needed a good cleaning, and I would give the cabinet an 8 out of 10). Looking forward to replacing all the bulbs and get it looking nice and figuring this game out.

Ill take some pics when i get home.

1 week later
#259 5 years ago

How tall is the Big Shot? I am looking at getting a Hasbro wrestling figure and they are about 4" tall. Just want to be sure it will fit under the glass. Reading the thread, looks like he should fit at 4 /12" but the thread also mentioned that the Hasbro figure body moves up and down but can be compressed to under 4".

Im looking at getting Jakks Hasbro Big Boss Man just want to make sure he will fit under the glass but can only "assume" his body moves up and down.

#260 5 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

How tall is the Big Shot? I am looking at getting a Hasbro wrestling figure and they are about 4" tall. Just want to be sure it will fit under the glass. Reading the thread, looks like he should fit at 4 /12" but the thread also mentioned that the Hasbro figure body moves up and down but can be compressed to under 4".
Im looking at getting Jakks Hasbro Big Boss Man just want to make sure he will fit under the glass but can only "assume" his body moves up and down.

Hasbro wrestling figures are another hobby of mine and there are 2 Big boss man figures neither one have the body that move up and down but it doesn't mean it won't fit. The figure used by someone else was the first Marty Janetty figure hasbro made. The Rocker tag team pack one. That figures legs could be pushed up and into its body.

2 weeks later
#261 5 years ago

Can someone please upload a picture of the interconnect board? Some of my lamps are not working and wires have been soldered to the male pins.

Thank you

#262 5 years ago
Quoted from CollinT:

Can someone please upload a picture of the interconnect board? Some of my lamps are not working and wires have been soldered to the male pins.
Thank you

Mine was like that too.
Check this thread out. It has some great before and after pics

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/board-hack-job-check-it-out

#263 5 years ago

Looking for a hi-res photo of the front of the cabinet. Want a nice looking one. I want to make a new decal for it. I can try to fix mine in Photoshop, but that is a lot of work. I don't need a full set, I know they are available.
thx

1 month later
#264 5 years ago

Question re: the R E F L E X stand up targets.

On mine, a hit to R lights X, and a hit to X lights R. All the letters light their opposite.

Is this intended, or is the wiring strange on mine?

#265 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Question re: the R E F L E X stand up targets.
On mine, a hit to R lights X, and a hit to X lights R. All the letters light their opposite.
Is this intended, or is the wiring strange on mine?

Not intended. You must have a crossed wire or 2

#266 5 years ago

Thanks.

#267 5 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

Not intended. You must have a crossed wire or 2

You will also have the fun of figuring out if the crossed wire(s) is in the lamp matrix, the switch matrix, or both!

#268 5 years ago

Is the magnet supposed to do its thing on each hit of the stand up target at Magnetic Personality?

It only seems to do so very occasionally, on mine. Usually on the first hit of a game.

Assuming there's an issue? Any recommended things to check?

#269 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Is the magnet supposed to do its thing on each hit of the stand up target at Magnetic Personality?
It only seems to do so very occasionally, on mine. Usually on the first hit of a game.
Assuming there's an issue? Any recommended things to check?

If you hit the magnetic personality stand up target at any time the magnet will energize and it'll play the magnetize sound effect. Even if you already completed it.

I would start by checking that drop target. It just might need adjusting. Next check to make sure all your connections in the back box are correct and that the wires are going to the correct pins.

#270 5 years ago

Target's definitely registering. Magnet only occasionally seems to power up though, and half the time only weakly. Will go through the possible causes when the engineer is next here.

1 month later
#271 5 years ago

Anyone ever replaced the rubber on the Mixmaster post? Is it possible to pull it without removing the entire spinning disk? I'd like to avoid that if possible but having a bear of a time getting the rubber off...

#272 5 years ago

Yes the yellow rubber pulls up. It might be "stuck" due to being there for so many years.

#273 5 years ago

I'm looking for a set of holograms for my Dr dude ,mine have lost most of their colour and are just shades of yellow.

If someone has a set or an old translite with nice holograms I would be all over it

#274 5 years ago
Quoted from sporazoa:

having a bear of a time getting the rubber off

If you have an air compressor try blowing air between the post and the rubber.

#275 5 years ago
Quoted from T2S88:

I'm looking for a set of holograms for my Dr dude ,mine have lost most of their colour and are just shades of yellow.
If someone has a set or an old translite with nice holograms I would be all over it

This NOS translite has been on ebay for a bit. It ain't cheap, but I understand that that's the case for the holograms/lenticulars. And it's a long way from Australia, but maybe they would make an exception, since it says they only ship to the US...

ebay.com link: Dr Dude pinball translite BRAND NEW Ballys 1990

#276 5 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

If you have an air compressor try blowing air between the post and the rubber.

there is this one that is a lot cheaper from Arizona

ebay.com link: Dr Dude pinball translite Used Ballys 1990

#277 5 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

there is this one that is a lot cheaper from Arizona
ebay.com link » Dr Dude Pinball Translite Used Ballys 1990

Yeah but it doesn't have the hologram. And that is the most valuable part of the translite since its no longer produced.

#278 5 years ago
Quoted from sporazoa:

This NOS translite has been on ebay for a bit. It ain't cheap, but I understand that that's the case for the holograms/lenticulars. And it's a long way from Australia, but maybe they would make an exception, since it says they only ship to the US...
ebay.com link » Dr Dude Pinball Translite Brand New Ballys 1990

I have purchased this translite, managed to haggle a bit with him ,nice guy to deal with .and will be using a postage forwarding service to get it over to Sydney.

Thanks guys I would of never found this one on eBay. Even when I searched for its exact listing name on the US version of eBay it wouldn't show up

Thanks

#279 5 years ago
Quoted from T2S88:

I have purchased this translite, managed to haggle a bit with him ,nice guy to deal with .and will be using a postage forwarding service to get it over to Sydney.
Thanks guys I would of never found this one on eBay. Even when I searched for its exact listing name on the US version of eBay it wouldn't show up
Thanks

AHH-SOME! Glad it worked out. Post a pic of the upgrade once you get it in!

#280 5 years ago

It's going to be the finishing touch on this full restore, I will keep you posted

1539244295048164 (resized).jpg1539244295048164 (resized).jpg

#281 5 years ago

Wow that's a full restore alright! Look forward to the results...

#282 5 years ago

Hi There:

Just picked up a Dr. Dude. It was an all time favorite machine of mine from my college days.

Anyway, the one I picked up was in ok shape, but the playfield had the usual wear in the ball drop area. I was going to fix it and decal it, but found a NOS playfield on ebay and decided to pick it up.

My question for you is which playfield protector should I use to keep the new playfield in perfect shape?

I found this PET-G one on ebay in Germany, but I'm not clear how the thickness will be an issue?

ebay.com link: Playfield Protector for Bally Dr Dude Pinball Machine

Do I even need to worry about a playfield protect for a HUO machine? Just put mylar in the high wear areas and be done?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

#283 5 years ago

just get it clear coated professionally
a local auto body shop can do it. or you can do it yourself use automotive quality clear. GL. Dr. DUDE Rocks.

#284 5 years ago

Did you buy that diamond plate one from eBay ? If so I wouldn't be clear coating it ,as it already has a beautiful strong finish that you would risk destroying with a mistake on the clear coat.

If it's not the diamond plate one from eBay ,yeah go nuts clear coat that puppy.

To be honest I would install it as is , but if you must install a PET-G overlay it's always reversible. Last thing you want to be doing is kicking yourself if it bubbles or something.

But yes as you said no don't worry with a HUO machine, them overlays are a pain to clean once crap get under them :/

Quoted from teksavy:

Hi There:
Just picked up a Dr. Dude. It was an all time favorite machine of mine from my college days.
Anyway, the one I picked up was in ok shape, but the playfield had the usual wear in the ball drop area. I was going to fix it and decal it, but found a NOS playfield on ebay and decided to pick it up.
My question for you is which playfield protector should I use to keep the new playfield in perfect shape?
I found this PET-G one on ebay in Germany, but I'm not clear how the thickness will be an issue?
ebay.com link » Playfield Protector For Bally Dr Dude Pinball Machine
Do I even need to worry about a playfield protect for a HUO machine? Just put mylar in the high wear areas and be done?
Thanks,
Ed

2 weeks later
#285 5 years ago

So I received the playfield from ebay and was disappointed in the condition. It was listed as New, Old Stock and definitely doesn't show any wear from use. However, it has several scratches and defects which were not disclosed.

I have notified the seller on my unhappiness, and she is willing to work with me. My question to the group is what is your take on the condition of the playfield?

I paid $900 for it and feel that it should be perfect. I think the scratches could be buffed out since it is a diamond plate board, but the other defects, I'm not so sure about.

I'd very much value your take on this situation. Any advice is welcomed.

Selected pictures attached below, but full, hi-rez versions are uploaded to my public folder here:

https://filedn.com/lg2RYguWxJL8gMGyJFa2qkH/Pinball/DrDude/

Thank you for your feedback!

-Ed

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#286 5 years ago

If anyone can offer their suggestions on the playfield?

#287 5 years ago
Quoted from teksavy:

If anyone can offer their suggestions on the playfield?

If it was advertised as truly "new", I would not be satisfied with the purchase. Have you been able to buff out the scratches and if so, does it look any better? But what would the seller need to do to make you happy? Would you want to return it for a full refund or get some money back? $900 is a lot to pay for a playfield (but in line with what they cost).

#288 5 years ago

PPS has better DD playfields than this for hundreds less. This is a $500 playfield at BEST.

4 weeks later
#289 5 years ago

Posted this in another thread but figured it makes more sense for this group.....quick lighting mod I made that enhances the look and even makes the rules easier to understand by better linking the elements to the Mixmaster....

#290 5 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

PPS has better DD playfields than this for hundreds less. This is a $500 playfield at BEST.

do they????? I thought I bought the last one 3 months ago

IMG_0386 (resized).JPGIMG_0386 (resized).JPG
#291 5 years ago
Quoted from T2S88:

Thanks

had same problem . I saw this item a month ago , and couldn't find it again . super lucky the original from my machine turned up .photos in Europe showed translite present . got all the way to aussie ,translite missing . 2 months later importer of machine sold another machine . inside was my translite for dr dude!!! changing my name to lucky!!! wow 2 of us down here doing a dude . I have 2nd hand good plastics and a ramp for dr dude if any one interested .found a NOS ramp in france .I only have one arm left , but I have a new ramp!!! am I allowed to copy this ramp . im sure I could sell 10 as they are all cracked at front (pre cliffys ramp protectors) having camera issues , will post photos when I can.

#292 5 years ago
Quoted from trumpy:

had same problem . I saw this item a month ago , and couldn't find it again . super lucky the original from my machine turned up .photos in Europe showed translite present . got all the way to aussie ,translite missing . 2 months later importer of machine sold another machine . inside was my translite for dr dude!!! changing my name to lucky!!! wow 2 of us down here doing a dude . I have 2nd hand good plastics and a ramp for dr dude if any one interested .found a NOS ramp in france .I only have one arm left , but I have a new ramp!!! am I allowed to copy this ramp . im sure I could sell 10 as they are all cracked at front (pre cliffys ramp protectors) having camera issues , will post photos when I can.

Yea there's no copyright on ramps so copy away. (I'll be one of your first customers) I know there's someone on pinside that makes great repo ramps if you need pointers or just have him make copies.

#293 5 years ago

Yes if you can make a quality repro of the ramp you’ll definitely find a bunch of buyers. I’ll be right behind phillymadison in line.

#294 5 years ago
Quoted from trumpy:

do they????? I thought I bought the last one 3 months ago

They still have 'em listed for sale in their playfields post on their forum. BTW, +1 for proper use of background imagery in that photo.

#295 5 years ago
Quoted from teksavy:

Hi There:
ebay.com link » Playfield Protector For Bally Dr Dude Pinball Machine
Thanks,
Ed

For what it’s worth, I installed one of those German pf protectors in my Paragon and I have no regrets. Installation is a snap - just need to remove flippers, gates, pb caps, etc and it lays right down. It might be a little more involved on a DD but there is no adhesive so it is easily removed. At worst you’d be out a couple hundred bucks and stuck with a big cut sheet of plastic.

2 months later
#296 5 years ago
Quoted from T2S88:

It's going to be the finishing touch on this full restore, I will keep you posted
[quoted image]

And finished....

IMG_20190217_183055 (resized).jpgIMG_20190217_183055 (resized).jpgIMG_20190217_183103 (resized).jpgIMG_20190217_183103 (resized).jpgIMG_20190217_183239 (resized).jpgIMG_20190217_183239 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#297 4 years ago

Finally completed my Big Shot mod. The Big Shot guy snapped off and while he's still intact, it's not a great long-term solution to re-attach him. Plus, the Big Shot target itself is of no relevance to most people in gameplay. So I decided to make it relevant.

First, I bought a new armature (the metal arm the Big Shot normally attaches to). Marco sells this for some reason even though it's only used in this game. They don't sell the Big Shot figure of course. Strange. Anyway, next I bought a red boxing glove on Amazon for like $5. It fits right over the armature and I used a black zip tie to make sure it stays (if you don't it will fly off after a few games).

Next is finding and printing out the right photo of DT. It's important that the head be taller than the MixMaster so when the glove hits it, it snaps back and you laugh accordingly. I used foam double sided tape to easily attach him to the Mixer. If you don't use foam-tape, there's no padding and it may come off after a few hits. He doesn't budge with the foam tape.

And yeah I realize there is one in every crowd: "How dare you desecrate Dear Leader!!" Dude, you can use a photo of whoever you want. If you're a DT fan, then put a photo of Obama, Kaepernick, AOC, or whoever your lefty Villain-of-the-Week is. It doesn't matter. The point is now you can be motivated to hit the Big Shot.

IMG_20190501_154433 (resized).jpgIMG_20190501_154433 (resized).jpg
#298 4 years ago

just joined this club.....so does anyone make a repo ramp for this yet?

#299 4 years ago
Quoted from thc666:

Sadly, no. And most of us need one.

#300 4 years ago
Quoted from thc666:

I got a NOS one from france last yearand asked around about getting some made without any joy sorry all I tried

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carpentersville, IL
4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
There are 739 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/geeks-wanted-dr-dude-club/page/6?hl=collint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.