Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by NM
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

trying to put the finishing touches on my TZ shop job. of course the clock is broken and the game seems to love to make sure i know. anyhow, buy a new rottendog board. put it all back together to no avail.(still says clock is broken. still shows a credit dot). not sure what the test means with slow and fast and backwards and etc, cant imagine i put it in incorrectly, as it seemed to only go one way (put same time on etc). any help or suggestions? thx, yo

#2 10 years ago

it's not stopping at 11 o'clock when you power it on, is it?

#3 10 years ago

nope, random times

#4 10 years ago

I had the 11 o'cock problem when I put the minute hand on upside down once. The clock test isnt as complicated as it may seem. IIRC You can just put it on slow and watch the boxes on the display, watch and make sure they all get activated in sequence. I'd make sure you reseat and check your connections to the clock, too.

#5 10 years ago

reseated the 2 connections to no avail. as i go thru the test, what do the x's in the box indicate?

#6 10 years ago

morning crowd, anyone.

#7 10 years ago

X's mean the opto is closed...

Mine had some sort of same problem, moving forward ... no problem, moving backward would give me a creditdot, at random times.
With mine it was the little rod (which goes through the axel, holding the hour-arm), it was bend a little to stay in the axel and not fall out.
Moving forward that little rod was oke, moving backwards, the minute-hand touched every time that rod resulting in the dot. Bending it a little solved my problem.

Check the hour- minute-hand if they are straight, and inspect the little rod if it's not interfering.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#8 10 years ago

run the clock test and note what optos are working correctly. Try and see if the clock hands are passing through the optos correctly. The more information you provide the easier it will be to help.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

run the clock test and note what optos are working correctly. Try and see if the clock hands are passing through the optos correctly. The more information you provide the easier it will be to help.

i made the assumption the opto's were good as I just put a new board in. will note what ones are closed and when and report back. thanks for your time. (and thor as well!). yo

#10 10 years ago

When I had a TZ the clock worked great in test mode but would error out after a few games then test fine in test mode. Assuming your opto's are clean and working put a small piece of shrink tubing on the part of the hand that passes thru the opto. Even a piece of tape works. If the hand is warped the small end does not always break the opto beam and would throw an error. More area on the hand breaks the beam better and I never had an error again.

If you use shrink tubing don't go nuts heating it.
The hands are plastic and will melt if you apply excessive heat..

#11 10 years ago

Check the solder joints on the clock board. I had a new rottendog clock board installed and after a few months I got the broken clock error. Turns out I had a cold solder joint on one of the optos.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

When I had a TZ the clock worked great in test mode but would error out after a few games then test fine in test mode. Assuming your opto's are clean and working put a small piece of shrink tubing on the part of the hand that passes thru the opto. Even a piece of tape works. If the hand is warped the small end does not always break the opto beam and would throw an error. More area on the hand breaks the beam better and I never had an error again.

thanks! I will try that tonight.

1 week later
#13 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

bought a new minute hand and voila! no more credit dot. (i guess mine had warped from the heat?) thanks for the tip.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

As mentioned above, many of these clock arms have bent outward from heat over the years, and an alternative method is heat them a bit with a heat gun and bend them back inward, so the opto triggers.

Shaggy mentions this in "Lost In The Zone".

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 22.50
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gee-its-my-tz-clocki-know-its-broken and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.