Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by PinPatch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deck.JPG
    2014-09-01 19.46.51.jpg
    2014-09-01 19.46.39.jpg
    2014-09-01 19.19.41.jpg
    2014-09-01 19.19.33.jpg
    170536-i.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

So I'm finally trying to nail the last few bits of my gameroom that I've been putting off...and the steps were one.
    They were installed with some protection and part of me left it in place to protect them since they were putting up with a bunch of games being moved in and out, but part of me was too lazy to deal with finishing them.

Here is what they looked like for a long time...and anyone who has been here knows it well.

170536-i.jpg170536-i.jpg
    #2 9 years ago

But today since it's labor day, figured I could labor a bit..

So off came the paper and other associated protection.

Plenty of time spent sanding these down...

2014-09-01 19.19.33.jpg2014-09-01 19.19.33.jpg 2014-09-01 19.19.41.jpg2014-09-01 19.19.41.jpg
    #3 9 years ago

And at least got the stain on. Later this week I'm going to do the poly. It's just a bit of a pain since it takes so long to dry that I can't exactly back down the steps and apply it since I'll be marooned at the bottom of the steps for a few hours, but I don't think I can work from the bottom up and accurately reach everything.

My wife suggested doing alternating steps on alternating days which may work well...

2014-09-01 19.46.51.jpg2014-09-01 19.46.51.jpg 2014-09-01 19.46.39.jpg2014-09-01 19.46.39.jpg
    #4 9 years ago

Looks nice Gecko. Just start early on the poly and you will have an excuse to play a few hours of pinball after.

#5 9 years ago

Very nice!!!....did mine last year....had to go in and out through the garage for 2 says to let the poly dry....watch out for the fumes ( good for awhile, but I got a monster headache afterwards).....

#6 9 years ago

" days" not " says"......damn iPod...

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

" days" not " says"......damn iPod...

Kind of figured

Unfortunately my basement is only one way in or out...so be it. Maybe being stuck down there wouldn't be an entirely bad thing...

#8 9 years ago

As long as you are careful you can alternate steps. Or if you have a beer fridge and a bathroom in the basement, you have an excuse to spend the afternoon with your pins!

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

My wife suggested doing alternating steps on alternating days which may work well...

Smart Wife.
    -mof

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

Kind of figured
    Unfortunately my basement is only one way in or out...so be it. Maybe being stuck down there wouldn't be an entirely bad thing...

I wish I could get stuck in the basement a few days.....they always seem to find me....

Think your Wife's idea is good, except I would forget which steps to alternate..( they all start looking the same after first coat or so).... ....I'm sure it will turn out fine....keep the fan running.....mark

#11 9 years ago

I will need to figure it out, but not today...today is forecast to be killer humidity and even with the AC on in the house and the dehumidifier cranking in the basement, I'm going to hold off for a day or so. I'd rather the humidity break and the poly cure properly. With my luck it would wind up tacky for an extra half day and a cat would walk across it

#12 9 years ago

I don't know if I'd call trapped in a basement with a bunch of pinball machines for several hours "marooned".....

#13 9 years ago

Of course, **next time** stain and poly the stair parts in the garage and install them prefinished.

Keeps all the poison vapors out of the house too.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Of course, **next time** stain and poly the stair parts in the garage and install them prefinished.
    Keeps all the poison vapors out of the house too.

Would have been the way I'd do it but two issues..
    I don't have a garage

And the steps were built offsite and delivered and installed in one shot. So I didn't even have the chance to do a thing with them before they went in.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

And the steps were built offsite and delivered and installed in one shot.

You save a fortune having a stair shop do all that stuff by CNC compared to paying onsite carpenters.

#16 9 years ago

humidity be damned! (I think I lost about 6 lbs this weekend working outside)

I spent the majority of the labor day weekend re-surfacing the deck on the back of my house (going from 12 year old pressure treated lumber to cedar). my neighbor and I managed to knock out 99% of the 248 sq. ft section (we still have the smaller 96 sq. ft section to go).

I still need to re-work the 45 degree angles on the outer edges so that the last pieces of decking fit nicely, but I'm happy that we got as far as we did and I really like the herringbone pattern that I did where the pieces meet.

deck.JPGdeck.JPG

#17 9 years ago

One way is to use a two part acrylic floor coating. I used Loba Ws K Supra on my hardwood floors and they have held up incredibly well. Two young kids plenty of toys and plenty temperature change and still looks really good. As well it dries in a day and does not stink out your house.

http://www.loba.de/us/products/waterborne-finishes/2-component-waterborne-finishes.html

You could start at bottom and work your way up to freedom.

Would this two part water base work as a playfield clear coat?

Hope this helps.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/geckos-got-woodwork and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.