• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200901_130811 (resized).jpg
15989249372971259576372632126256 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

We turned on our GBLE today and the backbox LEDs are not working at all. We turned the game off and back on. The LEDs flash and then do not come on at all. Machine works, we have played a couple of games. I have gone to the menu and checked backbox brightness and it is at 100%. We have also done a factory reset.

Any assistance of where to start looking would be greatly appreciated

#2 3 years ago

Bump! I am fairly sure it is the CPU board. I would like to know if anyone else has had the same issue. A bit disappointing when the game is less than 3 years old and has less than 2000 plays on it.

#4 3 years ago

Any more info on this? Was the problem resolved?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Bump! I am fairly sure it is the CPU board. I would like to know if anyone else has had the same issue. A bit disappointing when the game is less than 3 years old and has less than 2000 plays on it.

Well what did Stern say when you contacted them?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Lmjdad:

Any more info on this? Was the problem resolved?

The issue still persists. We have been playing the game as we are on holidays. Back box LEDs are off most of the time. Occasionally they work. Please see below response from Stern.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well what did Stern say when you contacted them?

Stern have said that it could be a bad LED and as they are connected in series, this will cause them all to go out. The LEDs are something that can be replaced on the board.

#8 3 years ago

A bad LED takes the CPU out of service and you the customer has to wait for a repair or replacement from Stern at what cost? Your game is barely two years old...How is this type of system any good for those of us who like to repair our own boards but now cannot because of SMC,s? How many other Spike system users are out there with similar issues? Does paying $450-$600 seem fair to the OP if Stern can’t fix the board? I own one Stern Spike System game and am considering getting rid of my game.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Lmjdad:

A bad LED takes the CPU out of service and you the customer has to wait for a repair or replacement from Stern at what cost? Your game is barely two years old...How is this type of system any good for those of us who like to repair our own boards but now cannot because of SMC,s? How many other Spike system users are out there with similar issues? Does paying $450-$600 seem fair to the OP if Stern can’t fix the board? I own one Stern Spike System game and am considering getting rid of my game.

The bad LED does not take out the CPU board. Game works fine. The backbox LEDS work intermittently. Sometimes they are on, sometimes they are off.

I totally respect that people are on holidays until the 7th January so I have not chased anything up yet. Stern answered our emails while they were on holidays and let us know the LEDs can be replaced if required. I have updated the thread to reflect this. We live in Australia so I do not expect Stern to help us out. I know our Distro can get us sorted if we require. Like you, I like to diagnose and get the issue sorted myself if possible.

We have a repair guy in Australia that can replace some SMCs if required. I cannot see this as being a big issue. As the issue is intermittent, we will either have to wait until the LED fails completely or maybe change all 8 LEDs. I cannot see this costing very much money, i.e. less than $50.00. Issue may also be as simple as a broken leg on the LED in which case I can fix myself. I have not investigated the issue fully myself yet.

Spike is here to stay so we have decided to make the most of it and learn as much about the system as possible. Make repairs as required and share them on Pinside. I believe system is extremely reliable and that is why there are not too many posts about repairing Spike yet. I am sure this is going to change over time.

#10 3 years ago

#11 3 years ago

This is what I meant. The bad LED’s cause the board to be removed & repaired, thus taking it out of service until repairs are made. If you or your repair person cannot fix this issue then the board is sent out to your dist, Stern, or another suitable repair person. In the mean time your game isn’t playable. I hope the cost is less then $50 for the repair. Good luck to you op and hope the fix is an easy one. I will be following this thread for updates.

#12 3 years ago

If you don’t want to wait, I will sell my backbox kit without the interactive features for $60.00. It will give you control of the color and add the GI back to your backbox. You would turn the leds off on your board in the settings. If you run aftermarket mods I have a new system that does not use any power from the node boards for mod power. That mod is $40.00. www.rockcustompinball.com

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

If you don’t want to wait, I will sell my backbox kit without the interactive features for $60.00. It will give you control of the color and add the GI back to your backbox. You would turn the leds off on your board in the settings. If you run aftermarket mods I have a new system that does not use any power from the node boards for mod power. That mod is $40.00. www.rockcustompinball.com

Thank you very much for your kind offer. We live in Australia so postage from the USA is a killer.

We have already thought about installing a LED strip and we can import direct from China all the parts we need. The backbox LEDs have worked every day since we started the post.

Nice internet site!

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Lmjdad:

This is what I meant. The bad LED’s cause the board to be removed & repaired, thus taking it out of service until repairs are made. If you or your repair person cannot fix this issue then the board is sent out to your dist, Stern, or another suitable repair person. In the mean time your game isn’t playable. I hope the cost is less then $50 for the repair. Good luck to you op and hope the fix is an easy one. I will be following this thread for updates.

We have considered a few options. We are confident our repair guy can fix the board, however the LEDs have worked every day since we put the post up. We need for the LEDs to not work so we can test, find the faulty one and replace. I have not removed the CPU to check it, the issue may be as simple as a broken leg on a LED. Why Stern would install the LEDs in series is is beyond me, shows a little inexperience from their electrical engineers. Hopefully these minor design faults are corrected as Spike matures. If we get stuck with repairs our distro is always willing to help us out.

Replacing the CPU is not an option, cost will be too high. We would buy a simple LED strip and install it ourselves. We have a few machines and have had to learn over the years how to repair them ourselves. We have found a couple of board guys (local) that do great work but as their are no Spike schematics diagnosing a CPU board is quite difficult for us. We got a long way to working the issue out and need help from Stern. I could not get my head around installing LED s in series. Like the old Christmas lights, one goes out, they all go out!

The machine is getting played on most days at the moment, so we do not wish to take it out of service. I will update post once we have a resolution. Hopefully around the end of the month.

5 months later
#15 3 years ago

Update:

Our board repairer recommended we change the backbox brightness before changing the LEDs to make sure we have a faulty LED. We changed the backbox brightness settings from 100% to 97% about 4 months ago. Backbox LEDs have worked ever since.

1 year later
#16 2 years ago

Update.

The LEDs on the CPU in the backbox have gone out again. If anyone can help out with a part number for the LEDs or supplier that would be greatly appreciated.

The LEDs are in series so it may only be one that is out. Chas (RIP) helped us get to the LEDs so I do know there is one or more of them that are not working. I have a guy that can swap them out for us. I just need to buy the LEDs for him.

#17 2 years ago

Schematic says Cree XQDAWT-00-0000-00000HDE5

Looks like it is obsolete https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cree-Inc/XQDAWT-00-0000-00000HDE5?qs=TS3LNSUQQW9igvfOfzj5OQ%3D%3D

You could try another neutral white, 350ma high power LED of that physical size.

#18 2 years ago

Weird LEDs, pretty small, don't look as easy to replace as a 5050 SMD.

Rather than mess with that, I would just install a couple white 5050 12V LED strips and connect to the 12V power.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Schematic says Cree XQDAWT-00-0000-00000HDE5
Looks like it is obsolete https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cree-Inc/XQDAWT-00-0000-00000HDE5?qs=TS3LNSUQQW9igvfOfzj5OQ%3D%3D
You could try another neutral white, 350ma high power LED of that physical size.

Quoted from Schwaggs:

Maybe one of these?
FS=TRUE&N=14873455+4292797594+4292782524+4284153742+4292844478+4292716367+4292906361">https://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine?FS=TRUE&N=14873455+4292797594+4292782524+4284153742+4292844478+4292716367+4292906361

Thanks very much! That is really good info. I will definitely have a look.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Weird LEDs, pretty small, don't look as easy to replace as a 5050 SMD.
Rather than mess with that, I would just install a couple white 5050 12V LED strips and connect to the 12V power.

Yes they are definitely small and I cannot read a part number on them which is what makes things difficult. We have a really switched on board repairer and if I can get the LEDs, he can definitely replace them all for us.

We prefer to keep our games as close to original as we can. I appreciate the input and we may go down this road.

#23 2 years ago

Thanks very much, I have it but I need help reading it. You have given me the part number as per the schematic. I am fairly sure I can do the rest!

I very much appreciate the help. If I can get this resolved, I will post to help others.

#24 2 years ago

I have found the right ones at Comet Electronics.

That is some really great help.

Thanks

1 week later
#25 1 year ago

Update.

LEDs were all replaced today. Problem still persists, LEDS flicker and are mainly off. Next step is to change the LED drive chip AP8801SG-13.

#26 1 year ago

Update.
LEDs were all replaced today. Problem still persists, LEDS flicker and are mainly off. Next step is to change the LED drive chip AP8801SG-13.

That stinks. I thought you meant they were all out and not flickering. Driver chip is a good idea.

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

That stinks. I thought you meant they were all out and not flickering. Driver chip is a good idea.

Thanks for your help. We have ordered the chip. Once it is replaced I will post again.

We are determined to fix it. I know it is not just our Stern Spike that has this issue.

#28 1 year ago

Success! Led Drive chip replaced, backbox lights are up and running again.

Thanks very much to @schwaaggs for the circuit diagrams

15989249372971259576372632126256 (resized).jpg

#29 1 year ago

Success! Led Drive chip replaced, backbox lights are up and running again.
Thanks very much to @schwaaggs for the circuit diagrams
[quoted image]

Whoo hoo! Congrats and thanks for posting the fix!

#30 1 year ago

Congrats!

Which chip is that on your board? Was your repair guy able to do this with regular tools solder / desolder gun? Or does he have special SMD equipment? Curious how difficult that work was.

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:Whoo hoo! Congrats and thanks for posting the fix!

Thanks for your help. I needed the diagrams. Thanks to you and Pinside for making this possible. Years ago I would have driven my wife crazy complaining about how much the replacement board cost.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Congrats!
Which chip is that on your board? Was your repair guy able to do this with regular tools solder / desolder gun? Or does he have special SMD equipment? Curious how difficult that work was.

It is U33. The chip to the left of the red wire. I watched the kid swap it out by hand with a small heat gun. He had a camera over the top in magnification so he could see what he was doing. He primed the legs of the replacement chip with some solder and used the heat gun to solder the new chip on. Checked all the connections and handed the board back. He made the repair look so easy because he is that good at this sort of stuff. No special tools needed that I know of.

Our normal board guy does the same thing with the surface mount chips. He does not want to do all this smaller stuff.

20200901_130811 (resized).jpg

#33 1 year ago

Cool, that chip doesn't look too bad compared to some of the others. I just looked up what those hot air rework stations go for, didn't know they were available so cheap.

amazon.com link »

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Cool, that chip doesn't look too bad compared to some of the others. I just looked up what those hot air rework stations go for, didn't know they were available so cheap.
amazon.com link »

That heat gun looks similiar, I cannot tell you if it was the same one or not. I have shown Ben (repair guy) the boards on new Sterns, CGC, and Spookys. He said if I can get him the parts, he can swap them out. All the boards and chips including the micro CPUs. He also has a heat robot for doing smaller stuff. I am sure that is not cheap.

#35 1 year ago

It is U33. The chip to the left of the red wire. I watched the kid swap it out by hand with a small heat gun. He had a camera over the top in magnification so he could see what he was doing. He primed the legs of the replacement chip with some solder and used the heat gun to solder the new chip on. Checked all the connections and handed the board back. He made the repair look so easy because he is that good at this sort of stuff. No special tools needed that I know of.
Our normal board guy does the same thing with the surface mount chips. He does not want to do all this smaller stuff.
[quoted image]

Looks like a quality repair!

3 months later
#36 1 year ago

Found this topic when I had the same problem on my Kiss LE.

Just to say the fix was the same, U33 swapped (by an expert!) and all is well.

1 year later
#37 8 months ago

Just made the same repair also, part was ordered from Digi-Key.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
$ 16.00
14,499 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Spring, TX

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!