• The Walking Dead Premium 57 votes
    45%
  • Ghost Busters Premium 19 votes
    15%
  • AC/DC VE Premium 50 votes
    40%

(126 votes)

#1 6 years ago

What’s your choice in a massive 1 pin collection?

#2 6 years ago

I own walking dead and ac dc two of my favorite games but I would go with ac dc.

#3 6 years ago

I've had a GB, two TWDs and three AC/DCs. Still got AC/DC. TWD a close second.

#4 6 years ago

Watching this one closely. I've gotten the go ahead to add one more pin. Wife wants Ghostbusters but I'd prefer an AC/DC.

#5 6 years ago

GB sucks. Don't listen to the bull crap hype, listen to "Who brought the dog" over and over. The linear rule set just doesn't match the game.

So that leaves two GREAT choices. TWD and AC/DC. No matter which you pick, you win. They are both a blast.

TWD is an awesome game. It's fun, and can be a bitch. The rules are fantastic, with plenty of adventure along the way. The modes are great, and the sub wizard modes are great. All around a wonderful game.

AC/DC is among Stern's best games IF you like rules in games. TWD is more of a quest game, but AC/DC is a score based game. And getting that score is stunningly well done. There are tons of ways to approach it. the levels of complexity are amazing. Lyman went nuts with it.

Now, AC/DC does have one downside. Players get locked into a strategy they like and only play that way. Because they stop trying other things, they limit how they play, and the game can get boring like that. They play every game like it is a tourney. Same song, same exact shot order, boring. It's easy to avoid if you are aware of it. Just play the first song the game gives you and work on your strategy for that game.

In a one game collection I'd pick AC/DC hands down.

#6 6 years ago

GB and TWD are both awesome fun and challanging, both have great code and layouts.

ACDC is one of the most over hyped games on here, just average IMO. Had one for a while didnt last long.

#7 6 years ago

TWD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AC/DC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GB

It’s not close. TWD FTW!

#8 6 years ago

Had TWD Prem and AC/DC Prem... TWD is long gone, AC/DC has been here 3 yrs

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

GB sucks. Don't listen to the bull crap hype, listen to "Who brought the dog" over and over. The linear rule set just doesn't match the game.
So that leaves two GREAT choices. TWD and AC/DC. No matter which you pick, you win. They are both a blast.
TWD is an awesome game. It's fun, and can be a bitch. The rules are fantastic, with plenty of adventure along the way. The modes are great, and the sub wizard modes are great. All around a wonderful game.
AC/DC is among Stern's best games IF you like rules in games. TWD is more of a quest game, but AC/DC is a score based game. And getting that score is stunningly well done. There are tons of ways to approach it. the levels of complexity are amazing. Lyman went nuts with it.
Now, AC/DC does have one downside. Players get locked into a strategy they like and only play that way. Because they stop trying other things, they limit how they play, and the game can get boring like that. They play ever game like it is a tourney. Same song, same exact shot order, boring. It's easy to avoid if you are aware of it. Just play the first song the game gives you and work on your strategy for that game.
In a one game collection I'd pick AC/DC hands down.

Now I want AC/DC again. This would be the 3rd time.

#10 6 years ago

AC/DC prem for sure

#11 6 years ago

I like faster game with lot of rules
Acdc pro for me
Oups its premium

#12 6 years ago

TWD and AC/DC are both great. I've played TWD more at this point, I would give the edge to it. Does anyone know what the current distributor pricing is on both games?

#13 6 years ago

Amazing how far TWD has climbed. When it first came out, nobody liked it. Then after a few updates everyone loves it. And I love the game. In fact it is my favorite Stern pin and I have some really nice Stern games.

I have ACDC premium. I think ACDC is just an average game. I am not sure why everyone thinks the rules are so good. You either shooting for ramps, orbits or drop downs. Thats the whole game. Honestly, I think the rules set is pretty boring. If it was not for the music, it really would be a below average pin.

I also have GBLE. Love the game, the layout and the rule set. But it was not engineered properly. Too many issues. Airballs, orbit shots and hard ramp shots. If these issues were engineered correctly before the machine was made, I think it would have been absolutely awesome.

#14 6 years ago

DaveH hit in on the head. Points based (AC/DC) vs. Quest based (TWD Premium).

For me, quests have more staying power. I'm the primary player of my pins. There's no "versus." Quest is better and TWD is a spectacular quest.

I sold my GBLE in 4 months. Hated that game. Just not fun. Awful layout and code.

#15 6 years ago

AcDc
TWD
GB

#16 6 years ago

TWD premium, plus production is ending if not already.

#17 6 years ago

TWD......

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

TWD premium, plus production is ending if not already.

Production never ends... it might be halted for a period, but never ends.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

They said it was last call for the pros in the stern dist email sent out

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Sure it ends. Plenty demand for more Tron & LOTR, but I don't see them making any. Seems like the extra popular titles get cranked out for about 2-3 years and that's a wrap.

#21 6 years ago

Own TWD and AC/DC and love them both. They're quite different but I couldn't choose between them.

Played GB a bit and it doesn't appeal to me so much. I can't say why, just doesn't.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Sure it ends. Plenty demand for more Tron & LOTR, but I don't see them making any. Seems like the extra popular titles get cranked out for about 2-3 years and that's a wrap.

As long as Stern is in business, they reserve the right to re-open production of any title they've previously made. They might put out a "last call" for the game now... but there's nothing to say that they won't rip off a run in a year if demand is present.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

As long as Stern is in business, they reserve the right to re-open production of any title they've previously made. They might put out a "last call" for the game now... but there's nothing to say that they won't rip off a run in a year if demand is present.

Subject to Licensing.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Subject to Licensing.

And just look back on all the chatter about how there couldn't be another run of AC/DC because of licensing. Making games is not subject to licensing. Licensing is subject to money. Everybody wants some.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

And just look back on all the chatter about how there couldn't be another run of AC/DC because of licensing. Making games is not subject to licensing. Licensing is subject to money. Everybody wants some.

Agree, not saying its not possible. Just saying its not as easy as cranking up the production line whenever they feel like it.

In reality we've only had 2 VE's, so maybe theyre not so easy - SM had to change the art and sound/dots, ACDC the drummer etc . And I cant imaging AMC being easy to work with. They were infamously difficult on the original TWD. Imagine a VE in 2 years? Would have to be completely different art etc to reflect the current show. And maybe the toys arent up to their specs any more. Or maybe the show is not even in production anymore.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Agree, not saying its not possible. Just saying its not as easy as cranking up the production line whenever they feel like it.
In reality we've only had 2 VE's, so maybe theyre not so easy - SM had to change the art and sound/dots, ACDC the drummer etc . And I cant imaging AMC being easy to work with. They were infamously difficult on the original TWD. Imagine a VE in 2 years? Would have to be completely different art etc to reflect the current show. And maybe the toys arent up to their specs any more. Or maybe the show is not even in production anymore.

3 VEs...you forgot the original one: IMVE.

Plus AC/DC LUCI was kind of a VE too.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

3 VEs...you forgot the original one: IMVE.
Plus AC/DC LUCI was kind of a VE too.

Oops. IMVE seemed "easy" also - I dont think anything really changed license wise. LUCI wasnt really because it was still in the original license period.

Having said all that, imagine a TWD VE based on comic book art - all hand drawn and black and white like Gorgar!!!! I would sell my TWD Pre for whatever $$$ to buy that.

#28 6 years ago

My only point was/is:

When it comes to Stern games, there is no end. Twice in the last month I've seen two Stern distributors make reference to "This is it folks! You'd better buy it now!" The reality is: this might be or might not be "it." You can never bank on Sterns having some limited nature based off the notion of some implied limitation on production. Not only has Stern used this to their favor in launching new games (the original TWD Pro/LE issue), but they also shown a willingness to re-open production of older games (original or re-skinned) anytime they choose.

This is a collector's world...and when big money is changing hands, Stern is going to listen-up. IMVE is case and point. That game never would have seen a VE run back in 1990. The industry would have pushed it aside and kept churning out new goodies for ops to showoff at their locations. But, when it comes to collectors, Stern saw there was demand.

And all of this feeds right into the notion that most Stern games aren't good collectables. That's not to say that Stern games aren't tons of fun. They are. And that's not to say people shouldn't buy them to play them in their homes. If they like pinball, then they should. But it is to say that Stern is manufacturing an item that some view as a collectable... kind of like the Franklin Mint stamping out special edition coins. Yes, you can "collect" Franklin Mint coins... but the real coin collectables are the ones that became rare due to unforced circumstances.

All that being said, OP should find him/herself a super nice HUO AC/DC Premium, learn the slick rules, and experience some amazing pinball pressure!

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Had TWD Prem and AC/DC Prem... TWD is long gone, AC/DC has been here 3 yrs

Because it sold so fast since it's the better game?

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Because it sold so fast since it's the better game?

It actually didn't sell that fast. Glad I had a chance to own it... but one of those games that I haven't thought twice about since its departure.

#31 6 years ago

I would ask yourself what type of rulesets do you prefer. Do you prefer points focused rulsets or those that are objective based that go through a story?

Personally I prefer objective based rulsets that go through a themes story. For that reason I found ACDC's rulset to be rather boring as it's just all about points and the modes, the songs, just focus on hitting one main shot for that song over and over again.

I like The Walking Dead TV show but just can't get into the pin. The lack of voices from the show is a big bummer. Yes you can get a custom voice pack from the Pinside community but the actors are still not incorporated into the games modes which for such a heavy character based show is another bummer. I also heavily dislike the artwork, find it ugly, and the game goes way overboard with white lighting. Also, the giant walker head in the barn just isn't interesting to me, that area should have incorporated a more interactive toy.

Now for Ghostbusters Premium. GB premium in my opinion is one of Sterns best games they have put out. The game has a very unique layout, incredible artwork, excellent theme integration, great use of assets, has multiple unique and interactive toys, has custom callouts by an actor that was in the film's and a great story based ruleset.

The subway ramp that drops under the playfield with physical ball lock integration, magna slings, double scoop shots one with a unique captive ball mech, moving Slimer, and Ecto Goggles are some of my favorite features in pinball. If you want a loaded pin with a true world under glass feeling Ghostbusters Premium is the game to get.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gb-vs-twd-vs-acdc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.