• Latest reply 7 years ago by Rarehero
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1374 (resized).JPG
042e53cb6a409f6ec890a00240d1b1ed02b04973 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NimblePin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think it's a garbage game that plays like garbage....

For the record Rare has still not come over to play my GBP so, take his criticism with a robust portion of expired Korean BBQ.

#98 7 years ago

I feel like I need to just for the community's sake...just so he can finally shut the hell up about it and (maybe) muster up a public apology to Dr. Flash and Co.

GBP is a fantastic game that doesn't let you relax one bit. All the other games mentioned above are either sold or sitting idle, since GBP is just so damn addictive to play.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

I'm sensing a party at Nimblepin's in the near future

I'll go ahead and reset the GC's for ya.

#101 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

For the record even you have to admit the game needs extreme work by the buyer to get it into any kind of playable fashion.

Sure, I'll admit it needs more work than let's say...a GOT pro, or a Met pro, but this is a premium and premiums usually have extra stuff.

How many GOT LE/premiums needed some work on that orbit?
Or Met's Newton block fix/Snake jaw?
TWD? Yup.
XMLE? Definitely!

Seems like most premium/LE's have needed some tweaking all the way back to AC/DC's intermittent cannon load.
Oh wait, let's not forget Transformers premium/LE needed some extra work too.

Heck even my fresh-out-of-the-box LOTR LE needed a Balrog switch fix, beefier ring fuse, PoTD eject plastic, wireform tweaks a plenty; I'm sure I'm still forgetting some others.

I won't even mention all the fixes to the Bally/Williams games people love so much.

The point is, as long as you take the time to make a game play as best as you THINK it can play and STILL manage to somehow hate it afterwards, then you have some ground to stand on.
Otherwise you might as well be playing a routed un-leveled-one-flippered Shrek every time you press the start button...

#109 7 years ago

You guys are hilarious.
Carrot flippers?
C'Mon man...
If the mighty CFH is putting them in, what's next? 3 inchers on Sing Along?

This JT excessive gap/droop nonsense is just sad. J-Pop also does it; nobody complains.
Plenty of 70's and 80's games have it.
Are they cheap too?
No!
They're literally MADE to take your money.

Try moving the flippers up one imaginary PF dot more and see how GB plays, you might be surprised at what a tiny little adjustment can do.

GB gives way more side drains anyway.

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

However, the design was not tested and tweaked enough to get rid of the complete unfairness to some of it.

Hate to break it to you but, LIFE is not fair.

As for the design,
It was probably 100% perfect from the final whitewood but since the production PF's were assembled by line workers and rapidly tested to see if the main toys/mechs were working before moving on to the next one, I'd doubt anyone really took the time to tweak the final gameplay.

The center drains were annoying at first but, you can remedy it to a degree by switching out the left side row of rubbers for various thicknesses or different posts even, to help start/push the ball over to the right flipper.

I also stress that the flippers need to come up one tiny PF dot more on GB to make shots feel more natural. (Also helps with draining...)

B66' was surprisingly the same way.
"Clunk City" until the flippers came up one dot more.

Theme for me can only carry a game so far.
You think most people on here want to stare at a Time Fantasy completely sober?
Probably not, but the gameplay still eclipses the theme and here's hoping GBP will eventually get the love it deserves since the theme is already lightyears ahead of Time Fantasy.

It's kinda like IM's lukewarm reception back in 2010.
Eventually people "got it."

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

Are you this patronizing to everyone?

Just to my buddy Rare and others that love to ride the Pinside whaambulance that a game is being completely unfair to them.

Example:
Flash Gordon has no problem putting the smackdown on people who play with timid hands.

And just like Flash Gordon, GB makes you work for it, period. Which is why myself and others like me love playing it so much.

#128 7 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

neither one drained out of the pops on a regular basis.

Well surprise surprise, neither does my GBP.

I gave you some helpful suggestions to try so you can minimize John's supposed unfairness to you so, what else can I say?
After all, that Gozer target at the back isn't pointed directly at the player so, he's still got some heart right?

You seem to own one so why not pull the glass and experiment with what works best for your particular game?

Quoted from dmesserly:

So those who disagree with you are on the whaambulance. Man, you're a real treat.

Hey,
Nobody's forcing you to get in...
I find that walking can be really enjoyable too.

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

I have a gb thats fair out of the pops too, works perfect, still hate it

Yes, but is it code-based hate, or are you hating on the layout because you literally did nothing to the machine to help try and remedy it?

Seems like there is a lot more of the latter going on around here.

I'll admit the LIFE comment was a bit heavy handed and my apology to dmesserly but, I'm just really tired of people constantly blaming stuff that's well under their control.

#135 7 years ago

Sorry Rare, I had to fix the wording on that Flash Gordon bit so people didn't think JT designed it.

Look, I know how it (FG) plays, but there's still the same risk/rewards mentality involved in both games' design.

You can play it safe if you'd like, but there's more fun to be had, with much better payoffs for those riskier shots.

As for IM,
People also complained about the Monger SDTMs, cheap outlanes, War Machine kickback being too fast, botched right ramp returning SDTM, etc...
It was and still is a tough game to play well with any consistency, just like GBP.

I'd wager putting magnaslings on IM would result in probably a 98% drop in people wanting to own one based simply on their unpredictability. The other 2% percent would be me, SKB (lol), and whoever else that seeks MORE pin-challenge than less.

Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

the music sucks (funckin piano music)

Really? That's definitely a new one.
Here I am thinking it's been one of Stern's better attempts.

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

The new blinding lightshow of sfc multi just pushed me over the edge

Yeah, the one thing that bugged me the most about GB was ALL those clear/white inserts.

Luckily we can fix that too with the use of colored stage lighting gels.
Night and day difference once everything gets buttoned up and toned down.

XMLE was where I learned that trick.

Well,
Sad to hear it's not going to work out Steiger but at least you gave it a fighting chance by doing those fixes.

Good luck with your next game and thanks for the reply.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com
Plastics
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
Decals
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
Machine - For Sale
Grass Valley, CA
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, MD
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NimblePin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gb-vs-smtronlotr-ect?tu=NimblePin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.